PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Salt Water guide

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-24-2007, 08:52 AM
I found this on Dan Blanton's BB:

__________________________________________________ ____

High Praise for Scott Leon

Posted by Jeff Wieland on 2007-08-24 09:24:54

My newly graduated U.S. Marine and I celebrated by fishing with www.Paradigmshiftcharters.com last Saturday while we were in San Diego.

I cannot say enough good things about Scott. He is extremely knowledgeable, very professional, and a great guy to spend a day with! The 26' Jones Brothers T-top Center Console with twin Yammie 150 4-strokes is fast, comfortable, and a good fishing platform. Scott carries a full compliment of conventional, spin, and fly equipment in case your planned technique isn't working. His fly gear is 1st class: Cam Sigler 6-17 wts with Charltons loaded with Rio integrated shooting systems.

Our plan was to target albacore and YFT, tossing live baits to get them crashing so we could fly fish. We only found 2 small pods that sounded as we eased up to them, so we switched to trolling, hoping to bring the schools up with the troll fish so we could cast to them. The water was just too warm for albacore and a little cool for yellowfin, and it was a very slow day for the entire fleet. After 182 miles of searching, it was time to head for the barn.

We stopped and checked kelp paddies for yellowtail & dorado throughout the day, but it seemed that they had been hit pretty hard or were barren. On our way in, Scott spotted two promising looking ones and stopped to fish even though we were already late. Well, there were dorado under the 1st and yellowtail under both. Eric landed a 22# yellowtail and I was broken off before the bite went off. We were both impressed that Scott refused to leave the fish for an additional 2 hours . . . that's how hard he worked to get us hooked up. When it was all said and done, our 8 hour full day turned into 12, but in the end, Scott got us on the fish & saved the day! Of course, we tipped him well for his above-and-beyond effort, but that really wasn't the point: he just wants to get people in the fish!

We will fish with Scott again at our earliest opportunity and I highly recommend him for a San Diego adventure, whether it's bluewater or white & calico bass inshore on 6 wts.

https://www.paradigmshiftcharters.com/images/dana_landing_1_ide0.jpg