PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive bass report

Sturmer White
08-22-2007, 07:55 PM
I spent the other afternoon and evening with Jerry in Lodi doing top water bass.
To say they were aggressive is an understatement. I bounced a gurgler off the rocks and a bass had it before it hit the water. Two others were fighting over the bug and several did the jump out of the water and dive on fly thing. I am almost sure one that did a cartwheel over my fly, smiled and gave me the fin. It was a very fun time.
Jerry seems to have the locations wired right now. We spent a lot of time near fast water and tight to the banks and off points where the current breaks.
While I think about it, for the guys that want to use float tubes or small boats, don't cross Franks track in the wind after dark. NASTY!
My new "rigged N Ready"bag I just bought from Dan Blanton blew out of the boat,gone to the Franks track gods. Nope! Jim Goering found it floating in the track and is sending it back. I owe him a lot of flies. Thanks Jim

JerryInLodi
08-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Sturmer's fun to fish with. He always brings me a pile of new patterns to try and also a couple of bunches of grapes to munch on. As he said, the fish were "on" that night. I think we put on less than ten miles on the boat and only stopped at about three or four places. I have no idea how many fish we caught. We lost count early.

Unfortunately it's not like that every night. The next evening presented some very tough fishing. My guest fished very hard to land no more than six or seven fish. They were little footballs, and seemed absolutely stuffed, probably on juvenile shad. We covered over 40 miles looking for some eaters but it seemed that each location only gave up one fish. Even so, it was a good evening.

Hairstacker
08-22-2007, 10:18 PM
several did the jump out of the water and dive on fly thing

That is so cool when they do that! Just like an old Field and Stream magazine cover. 8) When the Delta evening bite is on like that, it's gotta be the best public topwater LMB fishing anywhere.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-23-2007, 08:32 PM
Sturmer is on my list of truly great 'commando' anglers.