PDA

View Full Version : Vidiots

gryhackl
08-20-2007, 05:59 PM
A short while back there was a thread on this board about a TV fishing show to which I contributed a reply and agreed with much of what was stated. That got me to thinking about a couple of things that irk me about some of the other shows that I see now and then. Number one on my list is that when someone gets hooked up it seems obvious to me that the angler has connected with a fish. I mean you can see that his rod is bent and the fish may even be taking line. I don’t see the need for stating the obvious and over dramatic “Fish On” when a simple “Dude” would suffice.

The other annoyance for me is that on one of the fly fishing shows whenever the over solicitous host manages to land a good sized fish he calls it a “toad.” I’m certain that he probably means well and I have heard numerous adjectives to describe good sized catches such as; hogs, pigs, monsters or even big’uns, and I get it. But, toads? I dunno!!

Tony Buzolich
08-20-2007, 08:52 PM
Okey Tom, now you started something and it has to more with peeves than what a fish is called.

Some things irritate everybody sometimes. Sometimes certain people focus on something small and it turns in to something bigger.

We all have likes and and dislikes and as long as they don't HURT anyone I guess it only matters to the person hearing it.

Get over it. If the guy wants to sound like an ass on national television he's doing a fine job of it.

Want to hear one of my peeves? These names guys use on most bulletin boards to call themselves something other than their real name. :? Why?

I'm sure I've bumped in to a few fellow board members on the river but when introduced in person not one of them ever uses anything but their REAL name.

I have a hard enough time trying to remember REAL names let alone nick- names.
TONY

WinterrunRon
08-20-2007, 10:21 PM
You mean "Tony Buzolich" is your real name? :? That's what I was going to use but it was taken!

No offense, Tony, just having fun... I tried, but I couldn't resist the tempation to reply. :D

I promise to introduce myself as WinterrunRon if and when we meet! In fact, why don't you come down soon and fish the American with me for stripers from a drift boat?

dtp916
08-20-2007, 10:38 PM
Toads...I heard that the other day, pretty funny stuff.

I kinda like it.

But the "Fish on" especially in the Jim Teeny videos, is so lame.

SteelieD
08-21-2007, 07:09 AM
a simple “Dude” would suffice

That's great! I'm gonna use it. :D

PatrickM
08-21-2007, 12:27 PM
Everyone has their pet peeves. I like this board because there usually isn't too much bitching, but I have to jump on gryhackl's bandwagon here.
I think I get frustrated because there aren't that many shows on tv that feature fly fishing. So when one does come on, and I record it, and then wait until my wife has gone to bed so I can watch it, I want to see something more than just catching fish, but something that conveys the overall experience of fly fishing and makes you feel part of it.
Unfortunately, footage of some semi-famous ex-professional athlete setting the hook and yelling "fish on" and then explaining ad nauseam where the fish was and how he hooked it as he takes five minutes to reel in a sixteen-inch "toad" just doesn't cut it for me. :x Repeat this scenario three or four times, throw in the usual explanation of bugs and tactics (which is indicator nymphing 90% of the time), footage of putting the boat in, and review of tackle and water conditions, and I'm left yearning for the next season of "the Bachelor" to begin.
Duuuude - even Nascar is more exciting. (sorry MSP!)
Ok, that's my rant for this year. :twisted:

Patrick

MSP
08-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Duuuude - even Nascar is more exciting. (sorry MSP!)

Yea, that's what I was thinking! 8)

jbird
08-21-2007, 04:08 PM
I have a totally crazy suggestion! Turn off the tube and grab your rod! :D :D ...fishing rod, that is! :)

Jay

SullyTM
08-21-2007, 06:56 PM
OK, I'll bite on this one since it's my profession(video) and I have to develop new programming for 2008. A "Fly" oriented program, of course is something I'd like to pursue.

pm? What would you like to see in a Fly Fishing show? Anyone else? Heck, if it gets me out on the H2O I'll consider anything...even a Nascar segment! :wink:

jbird's suggestion is a good alternative :D

Click!

Darian
08-21-2007, 07:05 PM
OK, I was trying to stay out of this but can't.... I'm with Jay. Turn off the tube or direct your comments to the producers (such as Thom...). Of course, it's not enough to just "bitch" about it. You should have something to to suggest. :? :? :?

I'd rather watch grass grow than watch NASCAR or golf....

jbird
08-21-2007, 07:05 PM
:DA little less talk and a lot more action :D

How about 1/2hr of just hard core fishing. No instructional or gear segment. Maybe a quick clip of a fly or 2 and the material list, but no tutorial by some guy with a feather in his cap. Maybe some underwater footage. All choriographed to some good music.

The flyfishing show I really used to enjoy was the Spanish Fly. I though Jose Wejebe was a classy guy. A lttle too much talk tho. Walkers Cay Chronicles was good too. A little on the "syrupy poetic" side, but pretty good.

Maybe you could document the oct. Kiene gettogether. Edit in some of bluegrassbills honky tonk. I'd watch that! :wink:

Jay

gryhackl
08-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Hey, now you guys are talking. I like the documentation idea a whole bunch. Throw in some hardcore fly fishing and maybe a little camaradrie. Another one I don't care to watch is competative fly fishing. They had an episode on last one of season's series where one of the guys threw a hissy fit and began screaming obsenities at his partner and threw a rod.
There's enough of that in the cold, real world on a daily basis.

PatrickM
08-21-2007, 08:52 PM
My little rant was just supposed to be a bit of fun, so I hope nobody gets too worked up about my comments. :)
J-Bird nailed it on the head, though - less talk, more action.
I'd like to see some more panoramic footage, so you get to see the entire fishing situation. Not every cast has to be a fish. That's not the way fishing is most of the time. Show the guy working through the water, picking up a fish here or there, landing it, and then continuing on. No commentary necessary. Some music at times would be good, but it would also be nice to just hear the stream and the sounds of nature. The general idea would be to make the viewer feel like they are out on the stream, sitting on a rock, just watching their buddy fish. I think that would be a good show, but what do I know?
Anyhow, there are a few of my suggestions. I'm not planning on sending them in to any producers, so take 'em or leave 'em as you may.

SullyTM
08-22-2007, 05:30 AM
jbird, gryhackl, pm...Less talk, more action! OK...I'm working on a few programming ideas and less talk is definitely a good observation. As with any television project it takes some planning...I work in cable televison and do not have to answer to corporate sponsors...just the bean counters!

Thanks.

Thom

Frank Alessio
08-23-2007, 09:40 AM
I have a new idea for a Television show. A series made up of Our own board members on their Water where they really shine. I would love to watch this Board in Action right on my TV.... No joke this would be Serious (Fun) Fishing...... Frank B. Alessio

sculpin
08-23-2007, 05:46 PM
One of the disappointing things I've noticed about some of the fly fishing shows I have watched is the dinks they are catching. I guess it's OK to go on and on about the experience ect, ect but if you want to keep my attention you better have some real fish being caught. Not bait. As soon as I see the first dink caught I change the channel. I have had gear fishing friends ask me if fly fishermen ever catch real fish because they watch these shows and think that's what fly fishing is all about. I also agree with all of the other suggestions mentioned in this thread for a fly fishing TV program.

Mark