PDA

View Full Version : 3-wt + 8-yr. old + stream full of smallmouths = fun

Mike Churchill
08-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Took my youngest and best fishing buddy to chase some stream bass on Saturday morning (after a stop for pancakes that motivated her to get moving. :lol: ).

I did the casting, she did most of the fish fighting and quite a bit of the retrieving/hook setting.

Final score: 2 hours, 7 smallies to about 12 inches, 5 or 6 small green sunnies, one squawfish of about 13 inches, one grinning dad, and small blond girl on the phone in the back seat on the drive home excitedly telling mom about all the fish she caught, how pretty the creek was, etc. :D

In retrospect, the best part was going over an hour and a half before the first "dad, can we go, I'm hungry". For a kid that my wife describes as having the attention span of a butterfly on crack :shock: , that qualifies as a very thumbs up review.

And, she wants to go back in two weeks (her idea)! :twisted:

(But the 10-year old wants to go play golf instead. :oops: )

Mike

Hairstacker
08-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Very cool Mike! Sounds like it's time to get your little buddy a fly rod. :D

Mike Churchill
08-22-2007, 05:08 PM
That's why I bought two 3-weights this spring. :evil:

We haven't had a chance to work on her casting lately, and since we were fishing moving water w/relatively big bugs for a 3-weight, I took care of the casting. (And she turned me down when I asked if she wanted to cast...but next time I hope to get her into her first completely solo fish / no help from dad at all.)

Adam Grace
08-22-2007, 05:46 PM
Good luck with the instructing of your Daughter. I hope that you both have a great time.