PDA

View Full Version : spectra backing

jbird
08-18-2007, 07:21 AM
for you guys who like to pack on lots of backing and use spectra or gel spun products, What is the brand you like.

I have been using the Hi Vis Tuf Line XP for a long time and really like it.
http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat600395&id=0017451118523a&navCount=2&podId=0017451&parentId=cat600395&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat600395&hasJS=true

(wow, thats a big link!)

No body has it locally in spools over 150yrds so i always have to order it. Its time to order somemore. I wanted to get your guys' input before I shell out the doe for a bulk spool. I dont know what it is about backing, but when that 1200yrd spool shows up in the mail, I feel all fuzzy inside :D

Jay

Darian
08-18-2007, 08:28 AM
I guess I'm a Dinosaur 0n this subject. I still use 30 lb Dacron backing on all my Saltwater reels. 8) Dacron is almost bomb proof. I have some that's still good after 30 years on a Penn Squiider reel. I don't have to carry a special tool to cut the braid. you don't have to be concerned about the potential for cutting yourself on stripping or touching the line during a run as with braids (e.g. Spectra, etc.). 8)

I recognize the benefits of the small diameter lines but have talked to too many of my fishing friends that have had problems with cutting fingers. :( :(

TaylerW
08-18-2007, 01:33 PM
hey, if you want, i can get you a couple 300 yard spools, i work at joes in salem.

Darian
08-19-2007, 10:22 AM
I guess when it comes to using spectra I'm a "greenhorn".... :? Not trying to start anything, but, when it comes to using dacron, I'm a lifer, so to speak.... I don't have to tie any 75 turn bimini knots, don't have to worry about having my backing overwrap or cut into itself, slide around the arbor and potentially cut my fingers. I've been using 350 yards of 30 lb dacron on my Brakewaters and Abels.

Haven't reached the point where I was in fear of being spooled. If out in a boat, I can always ask the captain to move it to keep from breaking off. Granted, I haven't run into a large Yellowfin, yet. So, I may be undergunned if/when that event occurs.

Enough fisherman (fly and gear guys) have cut themselves using braids that it warranted articles about safe usage in fishing publications. As a matter of fact, at least one very experienced member of this BB community has cut himself using braid. :( :(

Now, having said that, It is not my intention to down play the benefit of braid (off hand the only one I can think of is small diameter). I just don't feel the need to load up on Spectra or any other braid.

To each, his own.... 8) 8) 8)