PDA

View Full Version : any Truckee reports out there?

PatrickM
08-14-2007, 12:26 PM
Hoping to make it out to the Truckee tomorrow morning. Any recent info that anyone could share would be appreciated. :D
Thanks.

jhaquett
08-14-2007, 12:30 PM
http://www.fishfirst.com/ "Fishing Report"

bigtj
08-14-2007, 12:54 PM
It has been fairly slow for the past month or so. Best bet is AM fishing. Caddis are the prevalent bug. In dry years like this the truckee fishes well in late May, June, and July, with August and the first half of September slow. In wet years fishing doesn't really kick off until July and then stays strong through August.

It's always worth getting out on the water, and the above statement is a generalization, but it's definitely not fishing like it was earlier in the year.

-John

dtp916
08-14-2007, 08:41 PM
I'm going to go up on Thurs, but it has been pretty slow with the water hitting 70+ in the middle of the day :?

rvrwdr
08-15-2007, 01:13 PM
I've been out the last three evenings, between 6 and dark. Try a caddis indicator with a trailing soft hackle. They seem to go after the trailer at the end of the drift. It's been working pretty well, and I regularly get skinked on the Truckee!

dtp916
08-16-2007, 05:24 PM
JT and I caught a few this morning on Poopahs and DD Crayfish (Thanks to pm for the recipe!)

LT was tough with howling winds and so many fish with no interest in eating...Had a 15" that shook it and a 22" that straightened my hook :?

PatrickM
08-16-2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the info, guys.
I got out there the other day and fished from about 6:30am to 11am. Tried streamers for a while with no results. Switched to nymphs and got into some fish, but even that slowed down as the temps warmed up. Bests flies for me were various forms of caddis pupas and red copper johns. No love on the DD crayfish for me. :x
Still good to be out there. :)

bigtj
08-17-2007, 08:52 AM
Thanks for getting back to us on your trip, and glad you had a good time. It's always nice to be on the "Big T" even when it's slow.

-John

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-17-2007, 09:43 AM
The guys at the Truckee shop said to find riffles/runs that are very deep where you can't see the bottom, just green water.

Then fish with lots (8'-12') straight 4x FC below your indicator plus shot and two nymphs (14/16) to get them deep.

Guide Randy Johnson fishes small streams mid-day on the edges too.

Other use lots of different terrestrials in the afternoons mid-summer, especially if it is windy.

I, like many others, have never had consistent fishing on the Truckee River but it has some really great wild trout.

My normal favorite timing to hit the Truckee River once a year is somewhere around the 4th of July. Maybe mid-June through July?