PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii...the big island!

jlmelend
08-13-2007, 04:18 PM
Bill

Thanks for providing the message board, it is such a terrific resource for fly-fishermen! Without the Kiene's message board I would not be able to tell your readers about Hawaii's hidden fly fishing jewel, Don Memmer. We all know his posts by his alias/nickname Memms. Don is a true steward of fly fishing, and is the only real fly fishing guide that I am aware of on the big island. While vacationing there this past month, I brought my 8 weight rod and was told by everyone there that "hawaiian fish don't bite on flies". Many people that lived there discouraged me from even trying to fly fish from shore. Lucky for me I contacted Don via your message board months prior to arriving in Hawaii, and he agreed to show me how to fish the surf and coral of the Big Island.

He did warn me that fishing in the Big Island was challenging and that we might be lucky to land 1 fish. I'm happy to say he undercalled this by a long shot. He hooked me into nearly a dozen bonefish, a goat fish, bluefin trevally, three Moi and countless pufferfish in less than a day. I saw two baracuda, one of which I hooked, and just to remind me where I was, he courteously bit off my tippet. Being a freshwater fisherman, only my technique and equipment limited my ability to land all these fish. Nonetheless, Don pointed out ways to improve my casting and methods to get fish closer to the coral and shore to increase my chances.

The fishing was great, but the journey around the island under his guidance made the visit my greatest fishing experience ever. I received a wonderful history lesson about the the big island and the places we fished. I saw petroglyphs and structures created by ancestors of native hawaiians.

We have all been in awe of the idyllic pictures of fish he has caught, island artwork, and places he has visited on this message board, including his recent bonefish boondogle at Christmas Island. I think some of us that have fished with Don (ahem, Adam Grace) would agree that being at a fishing spot with Don is only eclipsed by the entertaining journey getting there. He is a culinary marvel with native fish - he provides lunch and drinks and even samples of his latest culinary creations. I got to try some of the best smoked ono I have ever tasted at the end of my day with him in July! Now here's the worst kept secret of the islands...would you believe fishing with Don is no more expensive than the cost of a half-day of guided fishing on the American River?

I asked Don why he guides on the big island. He replied that he began guiding because of concern raised about a few visiting fishermen who were injured or killed while fishing on their own. Personally, I think he guides because, in addition to his concern for fellow anglers, he just plain loves fishing, teaching and meeting new people. I admire him for his humanism, compassion for all living things, and his dedication to and concern for his fellow anglers. I wish we could all be stewards of our sport and follow Don's example. He demonstrates all that is good about fishing - concern for the environment and the people that share our world.

I would encourage anyone travelling to Hawaii to look him up and experience Big Island fly fishing... this is the way we want all fly-fishing to be. Since he is a high school teacher and soccer coach, the only thing you have to worry about is coordinating schedules and the hurricane that looms south of his home in Hilo. I'm praying for his family's safety and the safety for everyone on the island. Drop him a line to see if he is OK, then go fish with him just to be really sure!

Hope I did the images right (below)!

You Da man Memms!
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z180/jlmelend/MemmsyouDaman.jpg

Hooking my 5th Bone(r)...failed to land him though!
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z180/jlmelend/BoneFishon.jpg

Caught a few Moi though...I hear they taste great...right Memms?
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z180/jlmelend/SomeMoi.jpg

Mahalo Memms!
You too Bill!

Joe (jlmelend)

Adam Grace
08-13-2007, 05:56 PM
Seeing the landscape in the back ground of those picture really brought back memories of a fun day out on the water with Don. Don is really as nice as everyone says and I also believe that Don truly enjoys teaching and introducing Hawaiian fly fishing opportunities to other fly fishermen.

Don guided me into my first Baracuda and bonefish.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/baracuda4x6.jpg

He worked hard using a spinning rod to help tease in some fish.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/IMGP0686.jpg

If you ever visit the Big Island you should take the opportunity and have Don guide you and introduce you to fly fishing Hawaiian style.

Thanks again for a fun fishing trip Don.

jbird
08-13-2007, 06:48 PM
VERY COOL!

jlmelend
08-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Strong work on the 'cuda! With those teeth, I was almost glad mine bit me off. Did you land him with a wire type tippet?
Joe

Adam Grace
08-13-2007, 08:14 PM
Yeah, the wire provided by Don was the only thing that allowed me to catch that guy. A few other of my flies were lost to some eager cudas after I took off the wire and concentrated on fishing for the Bluefin Trevally, dem guys have teeth. :twisted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/IMGP0692.jpg

Notice the glove that Don was wearing, you don't want one of those cudas gnawing on you while you remove the fly.

jlmelend
08-13-2007, 08:40 PM
Well call me a wuss, but I'm glad mine bit off my tippet! You are a brave man Adam! Outstanding images nonetheless! It's not everyday we get to look down the business end of a baracuda (aka Kaku in hawaiian)!
Joe

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Great reports and wonderful photos.....thanks a bunch guys.

mems
08-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Aloha Guys, thanks for the kind comments. Yes Joe the moi were delicious. If any of you are worried at our recent natural disasters, we made it through ok. The hurricane went south and the earthquake did no damage. It was actually pretty cool to get jolted like that. You are happy when it stops though.
I am glad you both had a good time. I have met many super fly guys from this board. I will need to take an extended vacation to northern Cal to fish with you all on my next mainland trip. It is very rewarding to show people our island and have them hook up on these fish. I really think the salt is addictive in how difficult the fish can be and their sheer strength. I hope you all have some good fall fishing. If there is one thing I miss it is the change of seasons and fall colors. There is beauty everywhere you look. Thanks again, Mems.