PDA

View Full Version : Overnighter @ Lundborg Landing in mid-October!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-12-2007, 08:45 AM
http://www.lundborglanding.com/ - Bethel Island

David, Hair Stacker, Ed and All,

I just was looking at the calendar and was thinking of a weekend outing to the Delta for mostly LMB top water. The weekend of October 13/14, 2007 looks pretty good.

Now that we had one outing there at 107 degrees in July I figure we are experts now. Show be cooler in October.

Maybe a fly fishing tent city?

How does that sound?

David Lee
08-12-2007, 09:18 AM
Count me in .

Have you checked the tides for those two days ?

David :D

David Lee
08-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Irish Landing, Sand Mound Slough
12 October 2007 - 14 October 2007
38.0333° N, 121.5833° W

2007-10-12 01:16 AM PDT 0.14 feet Low Tide
2007-10-12 07:10 AM PDT 2.78 feet High Tide
2007-10-12 07:11 AM PDT Sunrise
2007-10-12 08:42 AM PDT Moonrise
2007-10-12 12:37 PM PDT 0.94 feet Low Tide
2007-10-12 06:22 PM PDT 3.56 feet High Tide
2007-10-12 06:33 PM PDT Sunset
2007-10-12 07:01 PM PDT Moonset
2007-10-13 01:54 AM PDT 0.12 feet Low Tide
2007-10-13 07:12 AM PDT Sunrise
2007-10-13 07:59 AM PDT 2.71 feet High Tide
2007-10-13 09:43 AM PDT Moonrise
2007-10-13 01:03 PM PDT 1.15 feet Low Tide
2007-10-13 06:31 PM PDT Sunset
2007-10-13 06:40 PM PDT 3.64 feet High Tide
2007-10-13 07:31 PM PDT Moonset
2007-10-14 02:31 AM PDT 0.12 feet Low Tide
2007-10-14 07:13 AM PDT Sunrise
2007-10-14 08:51 AM PDT 2.63 feet High Tide
2007-10-14 10:44 AM PDT Moonrise
2007-10-14 01:35 PM PDT 1.33 feet Low Tide
2007-10-14 06:30 PM PDT Sunset
2007-10-14 07:07 PM PDT 3.70 feet High Tide
2007-10-14 08:07 PM PDT Moonset

Hopefully ...... these will be close - I found them to be off by well over an hour at the start of August :?

David

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Maybe I can check with Kevin Doran?

JerryInLodi
08-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Bill, those tides are perfect as far as I'm concerned, making for a great morning and evening of fishing. Especially if dinner activities are planned early in the afternoon so everyone can get back on the water for the great high tides.

Mid October means that a good portion of the striper population will in as well, crease flies and white popper patterns should be in order and will probably snag both LMB and stripers.

I have customers on Saturday but will plan on spending Saturday night and fishing Sunday and will block it out. Please confirm the date ASAP.

Oh, one other thing, by mid October the crazies I saw this Saturday night on the delta should be parked in front of their TV's on the weekend watching the college and pro football games. The water's a lot quieter after Labor Day.

Any plans for any fly tying demos?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-13-2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks Jerry

Kevin Dorin said we should not go any later than Oct 13/14.

I guess because you need warm weather for consistent top water LMB fishing.

David, We will have to let Lundborg's know our plans and reserve some adjacent camping spots.

Everyone is invited so bring the family if you wish.

The folks at Lundborg's are very friendly and it is not fancy, just laid back some.

Yahooo...........

Hairstacker
08-13-2007, 11:19 AM
Well, I'm definitely game! I too wouldn't want to delay it beyond the 1st couple of weeks of October. Looking at reports posted last year, I note I had a particularly good evening on October 9 but also seem to recall the topwater bite beginning to taper after mid-October.

Lundborg Landing is a nice spot. Very easy and convenient launching for those of us bringing personal watercraft and short, easy access into good water in Frank's Tract. It will be a blast! :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-13-2007, 09:45 PM
The date will be October 13/14, Sat/Sun but some might actually come on Friday, October 12th too.

Just got off the phone with Jay Murakoshi. He will be coming too.

The Saturday before the bass outing, October 6th, Jay will be at Kiene's Fly Shop tying bass flies too.

We should have a big pot luck barbeque on Saturday evening.

I don't think you will want to miss this event.

David Lee
08-14-2007, 10:09 PM
David, We will have to let Lundborg's know our plans and reserve some adjacent camping spots.

Bill -

We should start a sign-up list in the Events forum , that way we'll know how much space to reserve . I'd hate to book , say , 5 sites for three days and have 2 other people show up ... :?

Plus ..... we will know how many to expect for BBQ (nice to NOT run out of Beers ....) .

David :)

JerryInLodi
08-15-2007, 06:27 PM
David, I looked at the Events forum and didn't see a sign up yet! Count me in for all three days when you get it going. Is Saturday a Pot luck or what?

David Lee
08-15-2007, 08:39 PM
Capt. Jerry -

ANY day is a pot luck . Whatever/whenever you want to .....

My dear wife and I LOVE to host these things ....... when everyone comes in from the 'front' , we'll be ready .

I can only hope that most of the same crew from last July will be there , those guys are as tough as nails . Boss , Jim C. , Charlie G. , KD , Nightgoat , Chris V. , Hairstacker , Rickey N.M. , Richard , Mike Newman ......plus a bunch of other great FFers ! We had a great time , despite the heat tryin' to KILL us :shock:

This should be an amusing trip :P 8) .

David :D :evil: :D :evil: :D

Hairstacker
08-16-2007, 01:23 PM
David, yep, the more the merrier! Just hope everyone who reads this thread knows this get-together is open to anyone who cares to stop by and fish/chat/hang out. Great opportunity to meet some folks, discuss tactics, mull over flies, compare rigging preferences, etc. . . may be particularly informative for those who are just getting into Delta topwater bassing. :D

Mike Churchill
08-16-2007, 05:11 PM
I'm under the impression that a float tube is not an adequate craft for enjoyably fishing that part of the Delta.

Question 1: is that true?

Question 2: any of you boat owners willing to take a passenger who promises to (a) bring beverages and (b) laugh at your jokes? :evil:

Question 3: for those of us whose heaviest rod is a 5-weight, is borrowing a heavier rod an absolute necessity or just a really good idea? Put another way, I've caught largemouths on the flies I can throw with my 5-weight; besides the fact that high winds will frustrate the hell out of me, is there a reason a 5-weight (with an appropriately heavy leader) will not work out there? :?

Mike

David Lee
08-16-2007, 05:45 PM
Mike C. -

You CAN use a tube in Piper Slough - it's all 5 MPH/no wake there . The current can really get going , so you need to be pretty careful , though ... You can likely mooch a ride , as several people last year had spare seats .

At low tide , it'll be a bitch to move around , what with all the weedbeds .

A 5 wt. is a bit light - If you don't have anything heavier by October , you can use one of my spares , won't be any trouble at all ....

Hairstacker -

Good point - anyone who can make it will have fun !

David :D

Hairstacker
08-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Mike, I've only fished that location once before so I'm not sure about float tubes -- perhaps someone else can pipe in. I fished it out of an inflatable kayak and my impression was, yes, I think you can do it in a float tube. It didn't seem like the slough in front of Lundborgs had much current, although there will be some slow boat traffic. Once you get across the slough in front of Lundborg's and enter the main body of Frank's Tract, there's some good water that I think a float tuber will enjoy. The only caveat is that I just don't know how shallow that area gets at low tide.

I don't have a boat that'll take passengers so I can't help you there, but I would be really surprised if someone doesn't invite you into their boat.

As far as the 5 wt., borrowing a heavier rod is not an absolute necessity. I fished an assertive 5 wt. rod with a WF6F bass bug taper line for several years on the Delta (probably around 100 or so trips) before I opted to use a 7 wt. instead. With my 5 wt. rod and a leader with a .021 butt and .011 tippet, I had no problems at all fishing size 2 deer hair bass bugs and Clousers and had a blast doing it. I prefer my 7 wt. rod, though, as it has more backbone to turn bigger fish from nasty cover, and I think it is a better choice for largemouth bass over 18". Another consideration is that, given the October timeframe, you may unintentionally hook a striper that will thrash you with your 5 wt. But again, for topwater largemouth bass bugging, I think a 5 wt. is very do-able. Given the option, though, I would prefer a 7 wt. myself.

Hairstacker
08-16-2007, 05:56 PM
David, I didn't realize you were posting at the same time, sorry! :oops:

Mike, what David said. :D

Charlie Gonzales
08-16-2007, 08:32 PM
If I still have my boat you can count me in. Just a day trip though cuz i have to save my weekend passes for duck season. Ahh duck season, its just around the corner(64 days til the opener).

Now the pot luck,from reading Bills post it sounded to me that he was suggesting one when Jay comes to the shop the week pior to the outing. But as David points out any day is a pot luck day.

Count me in. I'll bring some killer baked beans.

Mike Churchill
08-17-2007, 04:49 PM
David, thank you very much for the kind offer. I'll take you up on it and bring my 5 along for comparison. :D

Count me in for the day on Saturday. Beyond that I can't say--I'm spending two weekends in September out of town hunting and I can only get so many free passes from the wife and kids. :D

I'll bring the tube just in case, but hope to hitch a ride. Does an ice chest full of good beer attract any boat owners out there? :evil:

Mike

PaulC
08-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Might be able to make it out there to join you guys. I'll definitely mark it on my calendar and see if the little one cooperates as the date gets closer.
Would be nice to at least drop by and say hi over a beer and tye a few bugs.
-Paul

Mike Churchill
08-17-2007, 07:55 PM
Barring work related interruptions, I'll be there Saturday and Sunday after all.

Thanks to Capt. Jerry, I also have a ride for Sunday. :D

Anyone need gas money for Saturday? :evil:

Mike

Richard
08-24-2007, 10:54 AM
I am still in recovery mode from the pneumonia :( , but I sure hope to be able to get around by October. If I am I will be sure to make one of the days.

Hairstacker
08-24-2007, 11:42 AM
Best wishes for your full recovery Richard. Given the momentum you created in getting the first Bugfest going, this second one wouldn't be complete without you. :)

Scott V
08-27-2007, 08:27 AM
Just talked with the wife and it looks like we are going, we will be staying in an rv spot, so if anyone else is rv'ing it, let me know your spot so we can be camped close to each other.

I see they rent bass boats, I am more than willing to split the cost of a full day rental with anyone, I will reserve a boat and if anyone wishes to help with the cost that would be great.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-27-2007, 09:26 AM
I think we need to reserve some spots for overnighting and barbecuing there soon so we can all be together if possible.

paulegan81
09-01-2007, 09:55 AM
Wow, this sounds great! My wife and I would love to join up. But, beware, if I go, the wind will blow, as it always seems to when I can get out on the water....

Tight lines..........................
Paul

Dave4622
09-08-2007, 01:54 PM
I don't get the entire weekend off but it looks like I will be down there Friday with the possibility of staying over into Sat./Sun if work allows. I will be bringing my boat down to try some fishing from it. It isn't a bass boat but it floats and goes and is large enough for the area. Dave

Hairstacker
09-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Great, the more the merrier! :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-24-2007, 09:04 AM
Be sure to get a camping spot resevered at Lundborg's Marina.

http://www.lundborglanding.com/

Jay Murakoshi will be at the shop on Saturday, October 6th, the weekend before the outting. He will be tying bass flies for the outting.

You might come in that day to talk about the outting?

Jay Murakoshi
09-24-2007, 04:51 PM
Bill,

Is it ok to start tying around 10:30am and finish up around 3 or 3:30pm?
I will be tying some dalbergs, diving bill bugs, clouser's on 30 degree jig hooks and a white knight sea habit or maybe a rainbow sea habit.

At the end of the day, I'm going to have a drawing for a bunch of flies. I have a dozen clouser's tied up, along with a 1/2 dozen dalbergs, I will also have some sea habit white knights and maybe a 1/2 "Koshi's Diving bill bugs.
Now let's see, should these all go to one person or should we sort of divide them up so everyone has a chance. YOU MAKE THE CALL

The way the drawing will be runned is, your name will go on a piece of paper and put into a hat. Then the name will be drawn out. YOU must be present to win, so that means staying until 3pm or whatever time is decided on or show up at that time.

Is that fair enough. Just like dangling the carrot in front of the rabbit :)

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-24-2007, 07:31 PM
Sounds great to me Jay.

Thanks.

Jordan
09-27-2007, 07:28 AM
I hope to make it...stripers and bass are new to me.... so hoping to hook up with somebody that can show me the ropes, as they say.

Can bring beer, wine, gas money, food or ? and a great attitude.

Will stop by Kiene's on the 6th for the demo and to pick up some files.

In the meantime looking for equipment suggestions such as rod # and line recommendations.

Thanks for any help.

Jordan

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-12-2007, 08:35 AM
I will have a 6 weight rod with a WF8F and an 8 weight rod with a WF10F.

Use 6 feet of 20# Maxima 'Ultra Green" for the leader.

Get some Umpqua "Swimming Frogs" in size 2, 6 and 10.

That is all pretty close to what top guide Kevin Doran uses.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-12-2007, 08:36 AM
Will be heading down there this aftyernoon.

My cell phone is 530 867 1219

JerryInLodi
10-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Bill, my brother-in-law and I will see you tomorrow. I'm fishing with Mike Churchill on Sunday so I hope to make contact with him around lunch time.

Is lunch BYO or are you serving tube steaks or some other delicacy?

Mike Churchill
10-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Jerry,

Per the posts under the "events" thread, I think we're looking byo/pot luck for lunch. I'm contributing some wild pork to throw on the BBQ and will have some good beer to share as well. :D

I look forward to meeting you.

Mike

Scott V
10-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Jerry,

I will have some bratwurst to share and of course some Goldschlagger!!!!

Bluegrass Bill
10-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Hey Guys,

Man do I envy all you fellas ! Sounds like you have a terrific outing lined up for the weekend. The weather is even looking like it is going to cooperate for you all. Bad timing for me with the band having a commitment to play tomorrow night. If not for that I would be right down there with you guys. Look forward to hearing the stories/reports and seeing some pictures when it is all said and done. Have a great time!

Bluegrass Bill, a little blue-er :( than normal!

Bill