PDA

View Full Version : Weekend chaos on the delta

JerryInLodi
08-12-2007, 06:25 AM
My wife and I packed a dinner and planned a nice quiet evening fishing the back sloughs of the delta on Saturday night.

Wrong!

We were on the water about 3:30 and I stopped along the main San Joaquin to fish a small section that usually holds lots of fish. The wind was blowing and the boat traffic, especially heavy cruisers, was heavy. The banks were totally muddied up and the incoming wakes made it impossible to hold position or cast.

We reeled in and headed for the entrance of Disappointment slough. At channel marker eleven we saw the bow of what must have been a 25-30 foot cruiser sticking up out of the water with boats circling. It appeared that it had sunk within the last 5-6 hours. Jet skies, ski boats, cruisers and run-abouts were going in every direction. We felt like we should have turning signals on the boat in order to maneuver.

We tried to fish up the slough. More boat traffic, more huge wakes, more muddy banks. We finally found some quiet water in the 5mph zone in front of King's Island Marina but the water was so muddy the fish would have to use sound to locate the poppers.

We tried White's, Little Potato and Potato Sloughs. No use, boats, wakes and mud everywhere. We took in the trolling motor and headed for the dock at 7pm, all ideas of a quiet evening destroyed.

The fishing was the absolute pits. I'm not sure whether it was the boat traffic, change in weather that brought in the wind and cooling temperatures, the muddy banks, or something else but the total for the day was one small bass landed and seven missed fish between the both of us.

Of the seven fish, we only felt two on the line meaning that the other five could have just missed the fly in the muddy water. Another cause could have been that I was experimenting with a new up-side down fly and the fish were just missing the hook.

Because of the conditions I'll try the fly again during the week when I can really evaluate its effectiveness in hooking fish. It's flawless in avoiding weeds, at least it's half right!

Bob Young
08-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Your experience is why I pointedly avoid the Delta, or the foothill lakes for that matter, during a summer weekdend. Happily I can fish during the week and find that my prefered time is during a flood tide that begins early in the morning and tops out around noon. By then, the jet skis have shown up and I'm starting to get hot and nurse the urge to find a cold one in the shade. Fall and winter, that's a different story. Bob

mikenewman
08-12-2007, 05:32 PM
Friday night was equally crazy:
$250k+ rocket ships tooling up and down at WOT.
Ocean going liners towing Whaler Montauks as tenders.
Jetskis playing at superbikes.
Boarders creating maximum wake with maximum boombox.

And one solitary Welshman issuing good old fashioned Anglo Saxon profanities with real talent :lol:

It's always good - just sometimes it's gooder than others!

Cheers
Mike

JerryInLodi
08-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Mike, I was out with my brother-in-law on Friday morning. We had two cigarettes pass us while on the main San Joaquin. The mono hull was doing a sane 65-70mph. The twin hull was booking at well over 100mph. Absolutely awesome! I'd like to know the gallons per minute that these monsters drink!

At least they give you a show when they go by and the wakes are minimum!

KD
08-12-2007, 09:56 PM
Late summer boat traffic workarounds...

Friday eve after 3-4 not usually good IF YOU ARE CLOSE TO MAIN CHANNELS.... Mike i'm surprised at you!:-)

Sat morning, grey light to ~11-11:30am OK(tide irrelevant) Come in early, have some lunch and a cold one at one of the many fine Delta establishments and call it a wonderful day.

Sat midday to eve NEVER on Big tides(outgoing/incoming Springs). Mud from boat traffic will be your enemy if you don't know "quiet" places. Unless, you just gotta' get out..go for a swim in Mildred.

Sunday mornings.....same as saturday morn with usually a little slower bite.

Sunday EVE AFTER 5PM USUALLY OK

The Labor Day cresendo is building...

The fishing has been good otherwise.

Hairstacker
08-12-2007, 11:18 PM
Sounds like a typical summer out on the Delta, eh? :D Since I do the vast majority of my Delta fishing on weekends, I make it a point to seek out out-of-the-way, quiet, dead-end sloughs avoided by skiers and party boats. Definitely not much peace and quiet near any of the main thoroughfares. If it looks long and straight on the map and connects to other places, you know it's going to be a zoo on the weekend.

mikenewman
08-13-2007, 10:30 AM
Hey KD, when I saw that big cruiser towing a Whaler, it crossed my mind that maybe you had taken to the water on a permanent basis. After all, who needs an island when you can have your own floating Gin Palace. Just imagine the marketing opportunities:

"Kruisin' with Kap'n Kev. Live aboard Delta adventures for gentlemen of discernment. Bass Buggin' by day, fine food, wines and dancing girls by night!"

Blimey, I'm gonna have to go lie down - the very perfection of the concept is giving me palpitations!

Darian
08-13-2007, 02:35 PM
I once had the idea of starting a floating combination bait shop, mini-mart, gas station and XXX rated video store in the delta. :D :D I can still envision all of the bass and house boats pulling up and tying off for the night.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Adam Grace
08-13-2007, 05:36 PM
:lol: Kruisin' with Kap'n Kev. sounds like fun :twisted: