PDA

View Full Version : Lower American River Fall Spey event.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Kiene's Fly Shop is hosting a Fall Spey Day at Watt Avenue on Saturday, September 8, 2007 from 9am till noon.

After that we will have open casting and general Spey discussion.

So far we have 'Skagit Commando' Mike McCune putting on a demonstration.

Jeff Putnam with be also doing a demonstration on getting started and Spey casting tune up.

We are just getting it on the calendar now.

We will inform you as more things unfold.

Definitely bring your gear and it is free.

Adam Grace
08-09-2007, 10:43 PM
That sounds great Bill, I hope that I can get that day off from work to come down and attend this event.

Rick J
08-11-2007, 09:01 AM
Bill,I am bummed that I will not be able to make this - heading to Monterey for a family vacation - I suggested we could leave Sunday on our trip but this was not received favorably!!!

You need to check my schedule before you plan these things - this is the last two I have missed :wink:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-11-2007, 10:35 AM
Sorry Rick.....

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-01-2007, 07:53 AM
Next Saturday we will have hotdogs, sodas and water.

It is $4.00 to drive into the river access on the south side of Watt Avenue.

Hope you can make it.

Anne Vitale
09-03-2007, 02:17 PM
Bill....Dog gone it....I will be in Chicago attending an international psyche conference on the 8th :cry: :cry: :cry:. Other wise I would be there with you all on the American for sure. I hope you all have a good time and that you do it again next year so that I can make it [-o< [-o< .......Anne

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-07-2007, 08:56 AM
I hope many can make it tomorrow to Watt Avenue.

It should be a fun and educating event for all.

At noon I will attempt to cook some hot dogs too.

Most will be we be wet wading.

Adam Grace
09-07-2007, 09:00 AM
I couple of old Kiene's employees, myself and Matt Johnson will be connecting to make a trip from the north state down to Sacramento tomorrow for the spey event, we're excited. We are getting there around 9am to check out Mike and his skagit demo. I'm really excited to see my old fly fishing buddies tomorrow, but not Jeff Putnam...he's a JERK! :lol: he's way too good of a spey caster, his skill makes me feel like a hack :lol:

Maybe we can go out for sushi afterwards!?! 8)

Seeya tomorrow guys, I'm really looking forward to hanging out with my old friends.

Digger
09-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Damn, really wanted to be there.
I've so many questions about this stuff.
I'm stuck down here all weekend.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-08-2007, 06:24 AM
I'll be there with the hot dogs, cold sodas and water.

Hope many of you can come too.

Aaron and I were trying a Safe 6 weight 11' Switch rod outside the shop yesterday. Pretty light. Great Halfpounder rod for the Klamath and American Rivers.

Rick J
09-08-2007, 08:26 AM
Hi Bill,
Really sorry I will miss it - say hi to Mike for me. I am sure he will be up on the Grande Ronde by the time I get back from my trip to Monterey but if for some reason he is still around tell him I want to get him up on the Klamath - we can both go up there and harrass Bruce - try to get into the good runs before he gets his clients in there :)

Adam Grace
09-08-2007, 06:32 PM
The spey event was fun today, thanks Bill. I was glad to see that even more people came out than last time. It was great to see old and new faces. I also had a blast playing around with and casting many different rods and lines.

Thanks also goes to the two spey demonstrations provided by Mike McCune and our very own Jeff Putnam.

Here's Mike teaching today's group about Skagit style spey casting and fishing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/posts/IMGP4691.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/posts/IMGP4683.jpg

Mike offered some great advice and showed off his tight casting loops.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/posts/IMGP4699.jpg

Jeff Putnam, provided another great demonstration with helpful advice.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/posts/IMGP4719.jpg

If you have not seen Jeff cast You have not seen how casting can be so fluid and smooth. Whether he is casting a spey rod or single-handed rod Jeff is one of the hands-down best caster that I have ever seen.

Here's on of his classic loops.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/posts/IMGP4733.jpg

A special thanks goes out to Darin from Outdoor Specialty Products, representatives of Sage and Rio, 2 large spey product manufacturers. Darin brought with him a whole bunch of products to try out. Below is a picture of Darin and the group of interested spey enthusiasts flocking around the great products.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/posts/IMGP4712.jpg

Like I had imagined it was GREAT to see so many friendly faces in the crowd. I especially enjoyed introducing our very own MSP (Mike) to the world of spey casting. Here's Mike enjoying spey casting just a little too much :lol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/posts/IMGP4735.jpg

I also had fun hanging out with another old Kiene's employee, Matt Johnson. Matt fired off some very nice casts.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/posts/IMGP4741.jpg

Here's Matt's "hero" spey picture.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/posts/IMGP4747.jpg

Another great spey caster, Larry Takeuchi, displayed some impressive long line casting today, unfortunately the video I shot of Larry is terrible, you can't see the line blast through the air.

I had a great time today. If any of you guys missed the event today hopefully you'll make it next year.

nrthcsteel
09-08-2007, 06:56 PM
Ditto on what Adam said. Bill it was nice to meet you and your wife face to face. Adam sorry we missed each other, there were so many toys to play with I was kinda preoccupied!! Maybe next time. Was very happy to see the new z-axis 8129 and 5126 rods there. Both were great and that 5126 would just be the sweet little rod for the Klamath and Trinity, great new rods. Again thanks Bill. And thanks to Mike McCune and Jeff Putnam for taking the time to give there presentations and for being most helpful with ansewring questions throughout the day. GREAT EVENT!! Kevin

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-08-2007, 08:12 PM
It went better than I hoped.

Lots of fun people showed up.

Thank to all who came and participated.

A special thanks to Jeff Putnam and Mike McCune for some great direction.

Thanks to Darin Elmore, our Sage/Rio Rep who brought a 'ton' of cool new products to fondle.

Talk about tight loops.

Thanks Adam for the great photos.

Don Powell
09-08-2007, 08:49 PM
Thanks to You, Bill!

You provide such a wonderful and relaxed atmosphere at the shop and sponsor opportunities for experts, intermediates, beginners and just the curious to all learn...not just Spey casting but all forms of the sport we love. Remember what a success the Warmwater Expo was?

It was a blast to see all the people I know from trips, local fishing and other events both near and far.

Great pix, Adam!

Thanks Mike, Jeff, Darin and all my spey casting friends for an informative and fun day!

Don

matt johnson
09-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Thanks to Bill, Marilyn, Mike M. and Jeff P. for putting on a great event!

It was made apparent to me today that spey casting has really evolved in the past 10 years or so. The rods and lines on the market right now are really 'dialed in" for making steelhead fishing fun and effective.

I am not sure that my life will be complete without the addition of of both the SAGE Z-axis 6110-4 and 8110-4 switch rods to my arsenal! I was also excited about the new RIO "AFS" lines.

It was great to re-connect with old Sacto spey enthusiasts and meet a few new ones.

Special thanks to Adam Grace for taking some great photos! Hey Adam, as long as you promise never to mention "perry poke" and "Hard-head" in the same sentance again, we can remain friends :lol: Matt.

Adam Grace
09-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Hey now Matt, you like the perry poke, not me :lol:

WinterrunRon
09-13-2007, 07:14 PM
I’d like to share my thanks as well.

To Bill for the hot dogs and soda and providing the event for us at river’s edge and to Jeff for his expert advice on tightening those loops!

A special thanks to Darin Elmore and Mike McCune.

I arrived late, around 11am, and didn’t get a chance to try all the gear and outfits Darin brought out. But Darin provided the Skagit line and Sage and Mike coached me one on one as I practiced the Skagit style of spey casting. He worked with me until he had me nearly casting that thing to the other bank! Those heavy belly lines, when matched with the right rod, are catapulted! It’s amazing.

When we were done, I turned around and everyone else but Bill, Mike and Darin had left! Mike ended up spending nearly an hour with me, an exiting example of how time flies when you’re having fun! And thanks, Adam, for taking the time to provide some photos of the event. Always fun to see photos!