PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys carry your trout net?

Hairstacker
08-08-2007, 12:04 PM
I've been looking at various ways to carry a net on the stream while trout fishing and was wondering what you guys prefer and why or why not.

I know some guys attach their net to the D-ring on the back of their vest with a french clip, while others go for one of the magnet systems. I've tried the magnet system but it seems like you'd eventually rip the D-ring off due to the power of the magnets. Got me curious as to what everyone else is doing and maybe discovering other options in the process.

Adam Grace
08-08-2007, 12:15 PM
I like the magnetic release system. I only bring my net when I am fishing a piece of water where I know that there is a strong chance for me to catch a large net-worthy fish.

flyfshrmn
08-08-2007, 02:16 PM
Nets are for wusses.

SteelieD
08-08-2007, 02:40 PM
I use one of the magnet systems to attach it to the D-ring.

I like this system in part because the net bag is high on my back and less likely to swing around and get snagged when I am 'bushwhacking'. I almost always carry my net, it seems, for me anyway, to help prevent stress on the fish, even the little ones.

JT
08-08-2007, 02:47 PM
I use a magnetic release system and hang the net by the bow (instead of the handle) for the same reason SteelieD has said.

I fish Putah Creek quite a bit where there are many net-worthy fish. The big, hard-fighting rainbows are so much easier to land with a net, especially in the faster summer flows.

Ed Wahl
08-08-2007, 05:03 PM
I've been using the magnets too, along with a tether so I don't drop it in the water. The only D-ring I've torn was when I used to use the french clip, it snagged on a branch while busting through an Alder thicket. I've found that even small trout are landed and handled gentler with a net. Ed

dtp916
08-08-2007, 06:34 PM
I use a net d-ringed to my vest. Using a net makes it easier to land big fish and take better pictures.

jhaquett
08-08-2007, 06:45 PM
A net D ringed to your vest (either in the front or the back) seems to be the most convenient method for me also.

Hairstacker
08-08-2007, 09:56 PM
I use a net d-ringed to my vest.

A net D ringed to your vest (either in the front or the back) seems to be the most convenient method for me also

But how do you guys attach it to the D ring? French Clip? Magnet system?

JT
08-08-2007, 10:18 PM
I attach the magnet to the D-ring with a small split ring (like the ones used on key rings). To the bow of the net I have a short piece of a woven nylon strap with holes punched in it. There is a small split ring through these holes as well. I also have a stretchy cord with each end attached to one of the split rings, so I don't lose my net when the magnets are pulled apart and I drop my net in the current. The magnets have a fairly strong pull, making it easy to rehang the net on your back. I can't think of a more convenient way to carry a net while fishing.

Adam Grace
08-08-2007, 10:37 PM
Here's a picture of my setup:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/Fly%20Shop/IMGP2813.jpg

I used the metal clip that came attached to the net and attached it to the split ring opposite if the net so that I can easily remove or add the net to my vest.

This magnetic setup is made by Orvis, if you are interested.

Rick J
08-09-2007, 05:32 AM
I like the magnet attached to the net as opposed to the handle. Mostly use it on spring creeks when using light tippets.

I have started carrying one of the larger nets with a telescoping handle when steelhead fishing and slide it through my wader belt in the back. I use the Simms back support belt and this seems to easily keep the net in place

dtp916
08-09-2007, 09:40 AM
I just clip mine to the ring, I guess thats a French clip?

FISHEYE
08-09-2007, 11:58 AM
I don't use a net. It might get caught in the brush and bushes when I am trying to avoid a brown bear. I lose fish this way but its way better than dieing. :D

Hairstacker
08-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Nice setup Adam -- I like how you separated the clip from the net and attached it to the D-ring so you are able to easily move the net from vest to vest. 8)

How are the magnets on the orvis system? Just curious because the magnets on mine (non-Orvis) are so strong it's kind of a challenge to separate them when you reach for your net.

Hairstacker
08-09-2007, 12:02 PM
I am actually surprised by the relatively high percentage of folks who don't use nets for stream trout fishing.

jbird
08-09-2007, 01:13 PM
Mike

The only time a net is a 'must have' for me is when I'm in a boat. I shouldve read the poll a little better, you specified trout stream. I am embarrassed to say I rarely stream fish for trout. The times I do, if I think about it out the door, Ill grab it. (Me? think on my way out the door to fish? shhhyeah right :lol: ) If I do grab it, I stick it rim down inside the full width zipper pocket in the back of my vest. when I need it, I just reach over my shoulder and grab it by the handle...like Quigly with his rifle :D

J

Nick B
08-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Personally I like gaffs...