PDA

View Full Version : Big Tarpon @ Tarpon Cay Lodge in the MX Yucatan

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-05-2007, 10:15 PM
http://www.kiene.com/gallery/albums/tropicalflats/big_poon_july_2007.sized.jpg

July 2007: Jerry Gates landed what is probably the biggest Tarpon landed on a fly out of Tarpon Cay Lodge in San Felipe, 3 hours northwest of Cancun.

June, July and August is the time for the big fish to be there.

Get booked into a trip there soon as it is all being sold out rather quickly for the summer of 2008.

This is one of the best areas for Tarpon now.

Come in an see video footage of all this.

jbird
08-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Bill

Thats just an amazing fish! :shock: :) After seeing your couple photos, I think those fish could use some pepto bismo! :lol:

Jay

sculpin
08-06-2007, 05:45 AM
I'm curious. In all the pictures the anglers seem to be wearing socks. Are they socks or am I missing something ?

Mark

jbird
08-06-2007, 07:10 AM
mark

I noticed that too. It seems a great solution for sun protection, line tangling protection and deck traction. When we were in mexico, I asked James what he thought if I wore socks...he laughed...I didnt wear em. :lol:

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-06-2007, 08:08 AM
That is so you can tell if you are stepping on the fly line while casting.

Many go bar foot but you need sunscreen on top of your feet then.

With shoes or sandals on you can't feel when you are standing on your fly line and that ruins your cast to big fish which is very important.

FISHEYE
08-06-2007, 09:56 AM
I fish barefoot, but sometimes the deck gets so hot it hurts! I dump water on the deck but most of my partners fish with socks.

sculpin
08-06-2007, 06:39 PM
That's a good idea for folks that need protection from the sun for their feet. I go bare foot which prolly isn't the smartest thing to do. I do have to put a towell on the front deck of my aluminum sled to fish, it gets really hot. I don't know if the socks would work but I'll give it a try.

Mark

jbird
08-06-2007, 08:04 PM
Mark

I think you should wear knee high tube socks...I'll be ready with the camera :)

J

Lee Haskin
08-08-2007, 07:13 AM
Oh yes, the the "deck dance".

With line being blown overboard, and underfoot, resulting in blown casts; line manangement is certainly a key to good casting, accurate casts and caught fish.
Wearing socks is only a "band-aide" to the line management problem.

[Personally, without good shoes, I can't stand anywhere for more than about 10 minutes! Grin! Tough getting old. :cry: ]

After 2 trips with a stipping basket, I am convinced THIS piece of equipment is as important to boat and wade fishing as the rod and reel.
This is especially true for travel destinations where so much time, money and effort is spent fishing exotic species in far off places.

Knowing for sure your first cast will not be hampered in any way, allows you to focus on the fish and the cast, not frantically trying to pull the line back onto the deck, or clearing line from around your feet. :o

Whether you pack a bucket, or get one of Stan's Hip Shooter baskets, controling your line is vital. IMHO.

Now, as far as keeping the tarpon crap off your feet.....well that is simply a "badge of accomplishment". Grin! 8)
Congratulations, Jerry, on a great catch!

$.02
Lee

Rick J
08-08-2007, 11:22 AM
they should be black knee highs :lol: Like others, I have always worn socks not only for sun protection but because the deck can get really hot!

sculpin
08-08-2007, 06:54 PM
Rick and Jay

I guess I could really make a fashion statement on my next fishing trip. :shock: :D :D