PDA

View Full Version : Best Sink Tip Line

jhaquett
07-30-2007, 10:00 PM
Hey,

I was hoping to get some opinions on the best sink tip line or best sink tip setup for steelhead. It will be used mainly for steelhead but this line will be my general sink tip line as well. I am going to get a line for a 7 weight rod with moderate action. As far as steelheading goes I am a total beginner :oops: , I've only tried it twice and it was with a floating line, but I always hear about everyone "tearin em up" on sink tip lines. :idea: So, like I said, some help on the entire subject and some suggested lines would be great. :D . Thanks guys. 8)

Adam Grace
07-30-2007, 10:08 PM
I think the best line setup is the Anadromous Advantage multi-sinking head line from Rio. This line kit come with different sinking rate heads to allow you to control how deep you fish. I have hoped for a line like this for a while.

Has anyone out there used this line? if so how do you like it?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-31-2007, 07:34 AM
Adam,

I got a good one for you.

Rio is discontinuing that line?????????????????????????????????????????

Adam Grace
07-31-2007, 07:39 AM
That sucks, those lines were a great idea, what a complete kit. Maybe they were too expensive for most guys, but well worth the money IMO!

dtp916
07-31-2007, 08:32 AM
Teeny lines are a favorite for sink tips. Depending on depth and current speed, I'd use a T-200, T-400, or a Mini Tip.

That Versitip line by Rio is OK, but the loop connectinos are pretty big...

Jim Teeny's Steelhead video is pretty interesting and it shows his rigs and how he catches them on heavily pressured waters using sinking and floating lines - without indicators 8)

bigtj
07-31-2007, 08:40 AM
I think the best sink-tip setup is to use a 2-hander and a skagit line or windcutter. Some situations in the summer are OK with a single-hander and a sink tip, but for all-around steelhead fishing, nothing beats the drift you can get with a 2-hander.

If you do go with s single-hander setup, get a multi-tip line, or have 2 rods rigged, one with a 225 Cortland QD and one with a 325 Cortland QD for winter, a teeny mini-tip and a 15' type IV for summer.

95% of the time I steelhead fish with 2 rods. I got through the run with a lighter, smaller fly and lighter sink tip to look for the "players" then go back to the top and dredge with a leech. Saves all that time switching lines and flies.

jhaquett
07-31-2007, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the help. Adam now that the Anadromous Advantage line is discontinued I may be able to pick that up for a reasonable price 8), otherwise it is far too expensive!

BigTj I would love to be able to use two rods but I can't even come close to affording two rods just for steelhead, especially a spey setup! All I have and all I will have until I get out of college is a 4 weight and a 7 weight.

Thanks for the help again guys. :)

WinterrunRon
07-31-2007, 11:37 AM
jhaquett,

I have a RIO Versitip 7wt line that I don't use. It's similar to the Anadromous Advantage.

http://www.rioproducts.com/product.php?fmCategory=10

If you want to buy it, let me know. Half price, $60 and it's yours. With tips, of course.

Ideal for poor college students who want to fish for steelhead! :)

And if you happen to be studying the biological scienses, organic chemistry or anything related to fish, take an extra $10 off.

Ron

jhaquett
07-31-2007, 07:28 PM
Ron,

I will probably take you up on that :) . And in fact I AM a biology major at Chico State 8) 8) if you were serious about the extra discount :D ! I will give you a final answer in a day or so (I'm not sure that I can buy it just yet), thanks for the offer.

jbird
07-31-2007, 08:45 PM
but I always hear about everyone "tearin em up" on sink tip lines.

Hmmmmm, If you want to have a chance at catching a few steelhead the 'fun' way, then a sinktip is usefull. But not if you want to 'tear em up'.

I would definitly take up Rons offer on the versitip. You wont find a better deal.
If you want to really play the numbers game, i'm afraid your going to have to nymph 8) I am not too proud to say, I love nymphing for steelhead. It is very technicle and can be hard work to make everything come together day in and day out. Mastering nymphing for steelhead is a lifelong endeavor, but the rewards pay well along the way. you can nymph successfully with a sinktip but it is much harder and rarely necessary. Use a floating steelhead taper line.
Many ways to skin this cat...steelhead are awesome critters!

J

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-31-2007, 09:29 PM
I think I would have two line for a single handed rod for my Steelheading.

Rio "Salmon/Steelhead" weight forward full floater.

SA/Mastery "Wet Tip" Type IV 12' sinktip line.

They are $59.95 each.

jhaquett
08-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Hey Ron I sent you a PM hopefully you received it. :D