My guess is a rainbow.

slim
07-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Definately a Bow.
Pretty fish.
slim

Ed Wahl
07-30-2007, 12:31 PM
They have those purple parr marks on their sides until they get a little bit bigger. I've known(and still know) people who will tell me they're catching Brookies in places I know hold tons of immature 'bows. They always describe the fish you're holding. Ed

JT
07-30-2007, 02:00 PM
Definitely a rainbow. Is it from the Silver Fork?

Adam Grace
07-30-2007, 03:59 PM
Yup, rainbow.

Charlie Gonzales
07-30-2007, 04:39 PM
Striper bait :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-30-2007, 07:41 PM
It a Rainbow Trout and a little wild one at that.

It is a very precious thing.

Hairstacker
07-30-2007, 11:26 PM
Cute little rainbow. I've always liked the parr marks on the little ones, makes 'em look prettier in my opinion.

Ed, I can't imagine how those guys would mistake a brookie for a rainbow. . . . :?

Ed Wahl
07-31-2007, 04:04 AM
I once had a guy on the North Fork in mid summer tell me he'd caught a beautiful Rainbow. This in very warm water, all I'd seen here were Smallies but he insisted. He went and got his creel, and inside that, covered with a plastic bread wrapper, was a beautiful.............sucker. :lol: Being a very hot day it was also well on it's way to putrification. :lol: Ed

SuperFlyGuy
07-31-2007, 05:57 AM
Looks like a rainbow to me... Did you catch that at a sierra lake? Stanislaus area?

I have had someone insist that a rainbow lake trout I had caught, due to its size, "Has to be a largemouth bass"...... :( ....

Scott V
07-31-2007, 07:05 AM
Looks like a rainbow to me... Did you catch that at a sierra lake? Stanislaus area?

I have had someone insist that a rainbow lake trout I had caught, due to its size, "Has to be a largemouth bass"...... :( ....

Caught this little one up at Silverfork, had 2 really nice big ones stare down my hopper but they just wouldn't take it, one of them was easily over 12". I found a still pool that was just stuffed with trout but I could not figure out how to get these beauties in still water.

SuperFlyGuy
07-31-2007, 07:21 AM
use really light tippet.. what I do in that situation is I fish the part where water empties into the pool and let the water drage my nymph into the pool.. then just let it set. give micro strips, like a couple cm and that usually does the trick for those small pool trout. Have you tried ANTS?

The big ones, I would do the same technique, cast upstream a bit...let the current pull the streamer under, and then start stripping in.. Vary your speed though, sometimes they like it fast, sometimes slow......

If you cant get them to bite, just move on to more active fish... or come back when theres a hatch in progress.

Micah

dtp916
07-31-2007, 09:15 AM
That's a rainbow for sure :)

Hairstacker
07-31-2007, 05:32 PM
I found a still pool that was just stuffed with trout but I could not figure out how to get these beauties in still water.

I like Micah's (AKA SuperFlyGuy's) approach. Also, assuming you haven't spooked 'em, sometimes it's just a matter of changing flies and retrieves. Might even try something unorthodox. I recall a pool on that very stream once where a few conventional flies and related retrieves were completely ignored by a pod of trout I could observe while I casted from behind a big boulder. I then tried stripping a green rockworm pattern past them. Fish on almost immediately, even though conventional wisdom says rockworms should only be dead-drifted since they can't propel themselves. Guess nobody informed the trout. :lol:

Mik
07-31-2007, 08:16 PM
Native Rainbow!! Nice parr marks.

Ed Wahl
07-31-2007, 09:33 PM
Striper Bait! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I've got a creek that's full of those, I use it for introductory fly fishing lessons. This time of year you just spook em as you go. Not big fish, but you earn every single one. There's something about spotting a fish like that in 2.5 inches of gin clear water and being able to fool it. So addicting I've never been able(or willing) to shake it. Yeah, they're small, but when you big water guys stoop to giving them a try they will hand you your hat the first few times. Scott, whether you like it or not small streams have hooked you, and with luck you'll never get over it. :) Ed