PDA

View Full Version : Boot question - to stud or not to stud that is the question

Scott V
07-30-2007, 09:12 AM
I am going to get a set of Simm's Freestone boots and was wondering on whether to get them with studs or not. I will be walking streams and creeks with lots of rocks, I will be climbing up and over huge boulders. Your typical Silverfork type water. I have never had felt or studded boots so I do not know which way to go. Can I climb boulders with studs? Or will I slide all over the place.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JT
07-30-2007, 09:29 AM
I own a pair of Freestone studded boots. They're really good on rivers and streams with lots of moss-covered rocks or softer rocks like sandstone. If there are a lot of clean, smooth, hard rocks you can run into trouble. The studs can have you slipping all over the place. You may want to check out the new Aquastealth soles. I think they might be better for streams like the Silver Fork.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-30-2007, 09:40 AM
For wading in the water studs do help.

For climbing around out of the rivers and streams plain felt might be best.

I do more big streams and rivers so I like studs best.

Small stream fishing is better with plain felt.

Scott V
07-30-2007, 09:50 AM
I decided to go with Simm's L2 felt no studs. I just remembered I will be in a drift boat next month up in Oregon so it might be a good idea to not have studs on in someone else's boat.

slim
07-30-2007, 10:15 AM
Not sure if you can do it with the Freestones, but with the Guide model, they (simms) sells carbide tipped screws that you can put in/remove as the conditions demand-might be able to get the best of both worlds.
Good luck
slim

Tracy Chimenti
07-30-2007, 10:35 AM
hey Bill, what kind of shoes do you like on the Pitt?

Digger
07-30-2007, 11:02 AM
I prefer non-studed soles all around.
They're better for hiking and quieter since there's no scraping sound underwater in the most stealthy requirements.

When the situation requires more traction, in high flows or slimy rocks, I put on Dan Bailey's Steam Cleat overshoes.
They add weight, but they stick like snot.

slim
07-30-2007, 11:47 AM
My snot is quite slippery, but that's just me! :lol: :lol: :lol:
slim

Ed Wahl
07-30-2007, 12:37 PM
I agree with Bill's assesment with a little warning for ya Scott. Felt will work like magic in the water, but absolutley nothing helps on the big dry polished boulders. Never trust a smooth rock. Ed................they still get me, but I'm kinda slow. :D

Adam Grace
07-30-2007, 04:14 PM
I like studs, they cut through snot-like vegetation on rocks, they offer more grip, and they also slow down the wear of the felt. I liked how my studded boots worked on the Pit River.

Hairstacker
07-30-2007, 11:41 PM
Never trust a smooth rock.

Man, isn't that the truth. First they make you slip, then they body slam you.

Michael Baker
07-31-2007, 06:18 AM
I have the Chota studded boots and those smooth rocks WILL get you. I was thinking of putting in some aluminum screws instead of the hard ones. Anyone try this? Thinking it might be the best of both worlds.
Mike

SuperFlyGuy
07-31-2007, 06:48 AM
I use a pair of Korkers because I couldnt decide. One of the best purchases I've made so far. Just switch out the sole and go from felt, to studded felt in 2 minutes. I use the studs when I know there is lots of algee in the water system Im fishing. If its clear water with rocks, felt is fine. You can also switch them out to regular treads for extended hikes (ie backpacking). Check em out if you havent gotten a chance.

-Micah

dtp916
07-31-2007, 08:35 AM
STUDS!!!! Do it and thank me later :D

Scott V
07-31-2007, 11:59 AM

Too late, I already ordered my Simms L2 without. I need them for my Oregon trip so I figured the guide would not be happy if I got in his drift boat with studs.

flyfshrmn
07-31-2007, 02:32 PM
I've had the James Scott studded shoes for years, replaced them with a second pair I found at a fly shop closeout, and I just bought a new pair of Simms with the studs. I keep a couple of pair of cheap felted boots for use with float tubes and to wear in a boat, but hate to wade in just felts. The studs give a much surer grip in almost all situations and are an essential if you are a commando type wader. They're also handy for stippling a redwood deck if you're so inclined. :wink:

Adam Grace
07-31-2007, 03:57 PM
IMO guides should already be prepared for fishermen with studs! if they are not then they are not prepared enough. It is not hard or costly to buy a rubber "welcome" mat and put it in the their boat for fishermen with studded boots. I think that it's their own fault if your studs damage their boat.

dtp916
08-01-2007, 11:07 PM

Too late, I already ordered my Simms L2 without. I need them for my Oregon trip so I figured the guide would not be happy if I got in his drift boat with studs.

He won't :lol:

It's ok, studs also make a ton of noise grinding up on the rocks anyway. But for some reason that doesn't seem to keep me from buying them.

I have a pair of L2 Simms boots too, let me know how they turn out for your trip. But I guess anything will be better than those cute little kayak shoes you were wearing when we went to the N. Yuba :lol: