PDA

View Full Version : Reading suggestions?

erhetta
07-27-2007, 11:33 AM
If you were going to suggest books and a videos for any beginning fly fisherman starting out (in this area), what would they be?

Tracy Chimenti
07-27-2007, 03:26 PM
"Stillwater Flyfishing" by Crodes/Kaufman.

One of my first and a great reference. Still current.

gryhackl
07-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Anyone new to fly fishing ought to have a copy of Curtis Creek Manifesto by Sheridan Anderson. It's an entertaining easy read that covers "the basics" very well. The book was illustrated by the author. I have helped several people get started in the sport and presented each of them a copy of this comic book style beginner's guide. My own copy of the fourth edition (I gave my first one away) has a suggested retail of $4.50. Kiene's has them in stock on their book rack. There is a ton of stuff out there to read as you get further into fly fishing that get all the way into the minutia of entomology, matching the hatch, fly tying, rod building or anything else that seems to move you, but early on don't burn yourself out by getting too technical which can be easy to do with the vast library of data available on the sport. Keep in mind that it's supposed to be fun. When it becomes otherwise, take up golf.

Ed Wahl
07-27-2007, 04:33 PM
I gotta agree with gryhackl, Curtis Creek Manifesto covers all the basics without getting bogged down in the details. I've also given away copies to newbies just starting out. Ed

WinterrunRon
07-27-2007, 09:47 PM
Funny, I took up golf for fun. And when it became otherwise, I looked to fly fishing for relief from grief!

As far as books are concerned, it depends. Shad fishing in June, Salmon fishing in October, Steelheading in January on the American... I recommend golf digest to locate the best golf courses and book a tee time to avoid conflict on the water.

Otherwise, Orvis has a few good introductory books out. One written by Dave Whitlock and a couple by Orvis pro staff.

dtp916
07-28-2007, 06:04 PM
If you like fishin for trout, CA Blue Ribbon Trout Stream.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-29-2007, 07:51 PM
The new 'LL Bean Flyfishing Handbook' by Dave Whitlock just came off the presses.

The 3M 'Anatomy of a Trout Stream' by Rick Hafle is still a great DVD.

'Beginnings' by Mel Krieger is a good DVD for beginners to give them a real feel.

Matt Steffens
07-29-2007, 10:09 PM
"Anatomy of a trout stream" is a very informational video, not so much about fishing but about bugs and how trout feed. A must watch.

Terry Thomas
07-30-2007, 07:11 AM
Whitlock's Guide To Aquatic Trout Foods
Hafele and Hughes Western Hatches
Cutter's new DVD on Aquatic insects
California Fly Fisher magazine, a good source for what's going on in CA.
A Beginner's Guide To Fly Fishing DVD...at the shop.