PDA

View Full Version : Up Valley Fishing Report

Tony Buzolich
07-25-2007, 06:45 AM
I post this here because of the multiple fish species that are going off around the Yuba City area.

First off, salmon -salmon-salmon in the Feather. Not many being taken down low by the lure guys but for the past couple of weeks the water has been running very high and bringing lots of new fish in to the system.

For some reason the low flow is running higher than normal and has been for the last few weeks as well. Is this good or bad? I don't know but the salmon sure are liking it, also the water temp here is definitely cooler than normal and that has to be good.

With all of the stripers seemingly down in the bay this time of year most folks have quite fishing for them and concentrated on the new salmon coming in. But, for a few fly guys that are still out there giving things a shot,,,,,, they're getting fish. Most recently the SAC and the Feather around Boyd's Pump have been giving up stripers fairly consistantly. And if you know a few of the "secret spots" that the good ol' boys don't talk about you can get in to some mighty big fish regularly (mostly fishin' w.bluegills though).

As for the lower Yuba, fish it as late as you can (and I mean almost dark) and you'll find the caddis still going off. The guys getting fish are hiking upstream above the Hwy.20 bridge and doing well.

We're also getting guys coming in targeting the smallies up around Colgate and any of the foothill streams (and the Bear too a little closer to home)

Along with all of the farm ponds and dredger ponds and irregation ditches and bypasses, there are also lots of black bass around for any of you guys throwing bass bugs for the warm water stuff (blue gills included).

So, if you're looking for a place to go, the upper valley has lots of fun things to do with just a little driving around.

TONY