PDA

View Full Version : Caples

bolden
07-24-2007, 10:56 PM
Well, sometimes you do crazy things just for the opportunity of something spectacular. I just got some filters to help with my
landscape photography, and after hearing about possible thundershowers in the mountains i figured the clouds could make for a great sunrise.
I knew caples had a good view with some interesting rocks in the foreground, so i decided to try and catch the sunrise. Now, sunrise
is about 6 in the morning, and i am about an hour and thirty minutes from caples. There is also the mile and a half hike, and time to get
everything in the car in the morning. Needless to say, i needed to wake up early. The problem is that i am a late night person, normally
staying up until 1 or 2.

I tried to go to bed at 11, but i was not tired, so i layed in my bed until 3 and then got up to head to caples. After hiking with a lot of weight to
the spot i wanted, i waited for a little bit for the sunrise. Unfortunately the spectacular light show i was hoping for never occured. I got some
decent shots, especially for the first time using these filters, but it was not what i was hoping for.

I have decided to consider this part of paying my dues, so maybe next time i get up that early i'll be rewarded. Anyway, i have been up for
two days with no sleep and i am still not tired, so here is the only picture i deemed acceptable from today.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/bolden916/Photography/Landscape/DSC_0858.jpg

JT
07-25-2007, 01:22 AM
WOW! I'd say it's a lot more than "acceptable".

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-25-2007, 07:51 AM
Great Bolden

You might submit that photo to Richard Anderson who owns the "Cal Fly Fisher" publication for a cover in the future.

Adam Grace
07-25-2007, 07:51 AM
Nice picture, what type of filter were you using? I've been told that there are filters that allow the photography to properly expose both bight background and dark foreground or the reverse with a filter that is dissected with a light and dark filter areas on the same glass filter, I do not know what this type of filter is called though.

Jasonh
07-25-2007, 01:42 PM
Bolden, were you using graduated ND filters? If so hard or soft edge? I have been eyig a few different filters or sunrise and sunset.

As usual, another great photo?

What were your settings?

erhetta
07-25-2007, 02:07 PM
Great pic!

Caples is one of my favorite places to go up and just chill. I love to watch the trout cruise the shoreline, almost taunting the anglers fising with power bait and worms...l

Beautiful....thanks for sharing it.

Amador
07-25-2007, 02:54 PM
Very nice shot Bolden. I am guessing a 2 stop hard GND?? Do I win??!

bolden
07-25-2007, 04:02 PM
This was actually taken with a 2 stop hard and 2 stop soft. A 3 stop would have been perfect, but i don't have that, so i decided to slightly
underexpose the sky and bring up the exposure afterward.

These were taken with my d50 and tokina 12-24 at f/13, on a tripod of course.

Thanks for all of the comments.