PDA

View Full Version : wtb- 1wt or less

TaylerW
07-24-2007, 06:14 PM
hey, i have started fishing some of my areas small creeks and i am looking for a rod that is a 1wt or less, a used txl would be primo.
quote a price

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-24-2007, 09:01 PM
LS,

One of the hottest deals is a 7'6" #3 - 4 piece Echo fly rod designed by Tim Rajeff @ $139 usd with a Cordura covered tube and unconditional lifetime warranty.

It is very soft like a 'Winston Traditional' and is a true 3 weight rod.

It is one of our top selling rods.

Come in and cast it.

jbird
07-24-2007, 09:11 PM
I picked up a 8'6" 3wt tfo professional for about that price. I dont know how to tell if its a true wt class, but the thing is so wonderful, its just noodly enough to know a 12" trout is gonna rip me one with it :D I think its one of the funnest rods to fish I have. I couldnt even imagine a 1 wt. That seems too light for anything. Maybe not?

Jay

TaylerW
07-24-2007, 10:17 PM
i have a sage fli 3wt 7ft, its a good rod but i want something even softer, if i have to i am going to go witha a scot fibretouch, but i would rather a sage ought

dtp916
07-25-2007, 07:39 PM
If you need a light rod, consider a Winston BIIt 8' 3wt.

Way better than a Sage 0. Cast one yourself. It's light as a feather and a true 3wt like Bill was saying. 8)

Adam Grace
07-25-2007, 08:10 PM
Diamondback rod co. makes a great little 7' 3wt 3pc fiberglass rod that is very light action and a great small stream rod for only $305 SRP. I also like the little 3wt that Tim Rajeff makes, the Echo series, but that is great little inexpensive 3wt, I've found it very fun to fish.

TaylerW
07-25-2007, 09:45 PM
i ahve a 3wt, whats the point of buying another. im in the market for a rod up to $600, so i want to get the best i can.

Ed Wahl
07-26-2007, 04:20 AM
I was over gunned this past weekend on those Brook trout, I think I'll swing by the shop and try out that Echo Bill mentioned. Ed

Adam Grace
07-26-2007, 07:00 AM
Little Striper, I didn't read your top post just the couple above my last post. The small rods, line weights less than a 3wt are more of a gimic more than anything else. I have cast most of the Sage's TXL's and IMO they were way too fast in action to be considered light action for small fish , the 1wt could throw a 3wt line if I remember correctly, has anyone else developed a similar opinion? I wouls look at some beautiful 2wts, because most companies do not make 1 or 0wts like Sage but without the fast action. The WT from Winston has 4 different 2wt rods, click this link:

http://www.winstonrods.com/wt.html , also check out their LT series 2wt. Winston's are usually lined correctly.

Over the 5-6years that I worked for Bill I casted many small rods, the majority of them were way to powerful for their designated line weight, yet Winston was almost always lined correctly, especially in their lighter trout series rods. Inexpensive 2wt's or smaller always sucked, way to powerful, but some inexpensive 3wts felt great like the Echo. I realize that you don't want another 3wt so make sure that you cast the small rods before you purchase or you might find yourself feeling buyers remorse.

dtp916
07-26-2007, 09:18 AM
Lil Stipe -

A SAGE FLI is far from a true 3wt, no pun intended. I agree with Adam that the TXL's are a gimmick and the BIIt 8' 3wt is way softer than a TXL. A WT would be even softer and full flex for small stream fishing. The BIIt comes in 7'6" or 8' in the 3wt class. Try a 7, 7'6", or 8' WT 2wt or 3wt as well. 8)

I would just recommend casting a few Winstons before settling for a 1wt TXL - you may be suprised. But hey, if you're a SAGE guy, you're getting a TXL no matter what we say.c :)

JAWallace
07-26-2007, 11:24 AM
I have an Orvis 1 wt. I call it a novelty rod; It's kind of fun for small bass on Natoma and dinks in creeks but I rarely use it. I'd go with Bill's recommendation.

TaylerW
07-26-2007, 12:01 PM
how about scotts fibretouch?

SuperFlyGuy
08-01-2007, 05:18 AM
I picked up a 8'6" 3wt tfo professional for about that price. I dont know how to tell if its a true wt class, but the thing is so wonderful, its just noodly enough to know a 12" trout is gonna rip me one with it I think its one of the funnest rods to fish I have. I couldnt even imagine a 1 wt. That seems too light for anything. Maybe not?

Jay, Isnt that a great little rod to cast? Perfect small stream rod, and its got enough action to throw a decent roll cast. Believe it or not, you can even chuck smaller bass bugs with that thing about 40' or so... You'll have a heck of a time if you hook up though... Can you say backing?

WinterrunRon
08-01-2007, 07:36 AM
Jay and SFG,

I couldn't agree with you guys more.

I own an ECHO 9ft 4wt fast action rod for trout fishing larger streams and a TFO 8'6" 3wt for trout in small Sierra Lakes and streams. That TFO is huge fun, especially for $139!

I really like them both, and even though one wt separates them, the difference feels more like two or three! Funny thing is, I have lines in floating, intermediate and full sink, all in 4wt, and the 3wt throws them just fine! I just can't "punch" my cast like with the ECHO 4wt.

It's weird to me that they feel so dramatically different but can cast the same lines.

In any case, I agree... the rod is really fun to cast and a 10" trout has me :D !

OceanSunfish
08-01-2007, 08:58 AM
The $89 8'-6" TFO 4 weight 2 piece rod (green blank) is quite a rod as well. I cannot say that all the rods in the $89-$99 range for TFO are as nice but the beforementioned model is pretty darn nice.

BTW, I am a high end fly rod devotee, but this particular model got my attention.

jbird
08-01-2007, 04:23 PM
superflyguy

I have cast giant bass bugs..including 2/0 crease flies with that little rod. Well, I dont know if you could call it casting. :lol: I caught several 3-4lb bass with it and it was really fun. But nothing compared to this gastly beast on the 3wt. :shock:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/DSC00679.jpg

dogtown
08-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Wow, I would have to say the Scott fibertouch 3 weight is the best 3 weight I have ever used. I own one and love it and wouldn't trade it for any other 3 weights I have cast. I cannot think of a single fault.

Adam Grace
08-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Jay, that's a nice hybrid you got there. I bet that it was fun on your lightweight rod.

T&T Connolly
08-17-2007, 06:13 PM
I picked up a Thomas and Thomas Heirloom 3wt,7'6" earlier this year and love it. That fiberglass action is perfect for lightweight rods and small trout streams. Their bamboo shop makes them and the workmanship is superb.
They just seem to be hard to find out here, but worth trying if you find one.