PDA

View Full Version : 1st post - Hooked.....

erhetta
07-23-2007, 01:35 PM
Unlike others, I have only been reading these boards for a couple of weeks. I am so hooked that I needed to post.

I visited Kiene's last week and had the most amazing experience, so I wanted to share it. I want to give a bit of back-story as well:

Back in '91 I was stationed in Camp Lejeune, NC and picked up a 9wt fly setup from Wallmart because I wanted to try it out. I had no experience, no lessons, and had only seen fly fishing on tv. My first outing I caught a 6.5lb Largemouth from one of the out of the way ponds on base. I was hooked from that point on. I only fished that fly setup. Popping for bass and panfish was so easy; I did not need to cast accurately, the WF line and bass poppers were easy to get out there, and all I had to do was strip the line erratically to get hits.....then I moved back to Cali.

I moved back to Cali and bought a house in Fairfield where I lived 5 mins from the Suisun boat launch and learned the Delta...unfortunately, I fished the dark side and was too successful. I forgot about the fly rod...

I moved up here to the Sacramento area, sold my boat, and started riding motorcycles again. I have been touring around the sierra's and pass so many little lakes and streams that I started to get curious. One trip, three weeks ago, I stopped at Caples lake and saw 4 peeps up on the spillway fly fishing. I went up there and watched them catch these beautiful rainbow and brown trout. I also watched the dark side fishermen get skunked at the same time. I told myself that I had to get back into the sport. My research started...

After researching all I could about fly fishing in Sacramento, I started visiting the larger shops around Sacramento. I wandered into Kiene's on my way home from work one day and met "the instructor..."

I told him my story, and we went out to the parking lot with about 5 setups in hand. He spent about 20 mins with me that changed my cast completely, gave me some other pointers, and helped me pick a setup. I learned all about the great fishing right here in my backyard and decided to get setup for that.

Yesterday, I made the drive back up to Caples.....I caught my first trout on a fly rod.... Granted, the 7wt that I bought was quite a bit big for the 8" rainbow that grabbed my fly, but I changed the leader and added 4' of tippett and fooled one....what a blast!

Now....

I really want to get started in the American. I live in Carmichael and get off work around 4ish every day. I am looking to find someone to fish with on the American in the late afternoon's and evenings. I don't expect full on lessons, but would like to learn how to fish "my backyard." I have never hooked a steelhead, never fished in the American at all, but am a quick learner and motivated. I plan on taking some of the lessons offered, but really want to just get out there.

I can offer a ride, beverages (adult or non), parking fees, computer help, friendship and camaraderie, bad jokes, and somebody to laugh at. All I am looking for is somebody to fish with, that I can watch and learn from. PM me if you want to get out there and want some company. I promise not to harsh your mellow.

Thanks Kienes for getting me started... I feel I have found a great place to feed my growing addiction.

Hairstacker
07-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Welcome aboard! I don't live in Sacramento but just wanted to say hello. By the way, your 7wt. will be perfect for Delta topwater bass bugging. :D

dtp916
07-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Welcome, buddy 8)

mark
07-24-2007, 11:27 AM
thanks for posting and great story. By the way thank you for your service in the military.

Its an excellent sport and you have tons of opportunities in the area.

I don't fish the American much but feel free to pm me about several spots in and around the sierras to get your line wet. Trout, bass .... whatever you like.

Cheers,

-MK

Bryan Morgan
07-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Glad to hear that you caught up with the guys at Bill's place. There are some great Shad and Striper opportunites in the A right now. Check out the Sailor Bar area right now for Stripers, and the much hated (large) Squawfish. You will have a ball. Looking forward to the next Salmon and Steelhead season. Good luck. Bryan. :D I too get off around 4, if you want to hook up let me know.

Rob
07-24-2007, 04:40 PM
erhetta

Welcome !!!!!!!!

And thank you for serving your country !!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

RobK.

PaulC
07-24-2007, 08:28 PM
Welcome to the board.
I'm not in your neck of the woods, but if you make it down to soCal and want to throw the 7 in the salt, I'd be happy to show you around.
I'm in the Oxnard area which is between LA and Santa Barbara.
Anytime you make it down south, shoot me a PM.
I only make it north a few times a year, but by far this board has some of the most generous folks out there.
Can't go wrong fishing with em.
-Paul

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Great post......

You might read a little article I wrote on the lower American River which talks about timing of the species that run there.

http://www.kiene.com/reports/loweramericanarticle.shtm

There are Stripers in the river all summer.

Then smaller 'Halfpounder' Steelhead are usually here in Sept through May.

King Salmon get thick in Oct/Nov.

Shad run is usually May/June. Still a few around.

This time of year AM and PM is probably best.

Welcome to 'our gang'.

erhetta
07-25-2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks to all that have extended a warm welcome!

I knew this was the right group to get involved with.

So...

If you see a big guy out along the A untangling himself from a birds-nest of line, or pulling a clouser out of his rear end from a bad cast, :shock: ....stop over and say hi.

-Eric-

Sturmer White
07-25-2007, 12:23 PM
erhetta
Welcome aboard.
Check out GBFLYCASTERS.ORG
You are not too far from where we meet and you can meet plenty of people with knowlege of where and how to fly fish the area.
PM me if you want any more information.