PDA

View Full Version : New small 16' outboard jet skiff for me.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-23-2007, 07:41 AM
I'm working with Ray Jensen of 'Endure Boats' in Medford, Oregon.

He builds one-off custom aluminum boats.

http://www.endureboats.com/

Mine will be 16' long and 54" wide at the bottom.

Bottom will be .125" and the sides will be .100".

It will have front and rear decks.

I will use a 50/35hp Honda or a 60/40hp Yamaha jet tiller.

It will have a 10 degree bottom with what he calls a 'Delta Pad' at the rear for running shallow.

It will also have a Minn Kota bow mounted electric motor and 10' oars.

This will be my version of an "all around" skiff for fly fishing Nor Cal.

Many of our friends use the Lowe 'Roughneck' 1652 for this and they are very nice boat. Mine will just be a little more custom tailored.

sculpin
07-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Hey Bill, congratulations on the new boat order. I'm always amazed by all the aluminum boat manufactures we have here in Jackson and Josephine Counties. I have never heard of the Endure Boats before, but there are always boat builders popping up I haven't heard of. When you pick your boat up, just to make sure it's properly broken in, I'll take you steelheading :D . The steelhead are showing up in fair numbers now.

Mark

Tracy Chimenti
07-23-2007, 05:40 PM
You lucky, lucky, lucky boy!

When it comes to motors "GET THE BIG ONE!" You'll hate yourself if you dont'. My experience with Honda Jets are they're heavy and kind of doggish.
Man you are setting yourself up for a wonderful retirement. You can take that boat all over the west. I really like my 14-foot Fisher, but there's alot of times I wish I had a 16-footer.

Tracy

sculpin
07-24-2007, 06:29 PM
Bill.
Tracy is right about outboard jets. Do your research and ask around before you spring for the motor . Jets are different than prop motors and you don't want to be under powered.

Mark

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-24-2007, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the great advise.

I think I'll go with the Yamaha 60/40hp jet.

Hull should be around 600#.