PDA

View Full Version : Hip Shooter Stripping Basket??

briansII
07-20-2007, 08:29 AM
Any idea when the Hip Shooter basket, from Mangrove Dist./TFO, will be available. Last I heard, it was going to be a mid July release.

Sure would like to get my hands on one. :)

briansII

k.hanley
07-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Say Hey Brian,
I was on Stan's original field team with the first renditions of this product (5 years ago). I still have two different prototypes. Orvis got the contract for a while, but Stan wanted to continue with the product's development. The latest version, as you mention, is being produced with Mangrove/TFO (I think that was a great move for all parties involved). I believe the basket will be available pretty soon. I know TFO is motivated to get it on the market ASAP. It is a very well thought out design. If you like baskets..... I'm sure you'll be happy with Stan's Hip Shooter.
Cheers, Ken 8)

briansII
07-23-2007, 01:28 PM
Hey Ken,

Thanks for the info. I knew there was a lot of R&D involved with this basket, and that's why i'm so anxious to get one wet. :-)

briansII

Tony Buzolich
07-23-2007, 06:53 PM
I know everyone is waiting for this new basket to become available from Mangrove/TFO, but I'd like to mention another basket that has also been working very well for everyone. It's called Charlie's Total Control Stripping Basket and I think Bill carries it at his shop as well.

We've sold several in the past couple of weeks and all who purchased them say they're great. Several of my group took them to Baja on our last trip and they worked great on the boat as you moved around keeping the line off the deck. They too are carried around your waist.

Check them out at www.flyfishbasket.com

TONY

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Tony is right on here.

Charlie's Total Control Stripping Basket is very popular all over the US.

http://www.flyfishbasket.com/images/New%20color%20Basket%20illustraion.gif

William Joseph has a great belt mesh stripping basket that has been selling "like hot cakes" too.

Dave Sellers
07-24-2007, 06:11 PM
Here is a story about the Charlie's Total Control basket. I was in Baja last year and brought along the basket Stan and I designed. It was in it's final stages of development and I gave it to a few guys, including Rick Pope of TFO to give it run for it's money. On a VERY windy morning, a major distributer of TFO fly rods decided to kill some time casting on the beach in the wind as we were all "grounded" due to severe winds. This distributer didn't know me from Adam but brought both the Total Control basket out for some casting as well as the early version of the Hip shooter. I, along with Rick and others started watching. Our caster started with the Total Control basket and I was told that he was "reping" it so he wanted to see just how good it was. He did not know we were watching. He pulled wad after wad of tangled fly line out of the basket. No spikes along with wind spinning the contents of the basket around like a cuisinart made for one mess after another. He then switched to the "Hip Shooter" and in minutes was shaking his head in amazment at the results. No tangles. No tangles, and then, no tangles!

I'm biased but this story is true. I'll also say that if I had a financial stake in the "Hip Shooter", I would not say anything. That's just too shamelessly greedy.

Stan and I spent a tremendous amount of time on this design over the course of 5 years and ran the final product through so many scenarios of abuse and tangle making situations that we ultimately confounded the final "beta" testers. The basket went all over the world to well known fly fishers and we couldn't get one to offer an opinion for improvement. And beleive me, finding a fly fisherman without an opinion isn't easy.

Again, no stake in the basket, just a hope that if you try other baskets, try the Hip Shooter too........preferably in the wind and big surf!

Dave

jbird
07-24-2007, 08:43 PM
Dave

I wondered that when I watched the video on that other basket, It didnt have any anti tangle pegs and I thought that might be an issue. I have been following all the reports on Blantons site (and some here) about Stans Basket. I want one! If I wanted to buy one today, who would i contact?

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-24-2007, 09:05 PM
Our TFO Rep was in today and he said he will be getting a sample soon.

I think they are on their way back from some factory in the orient right now.

I will get some ordered tomorrow and will report as soon as they arrive.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa86/MtnRiver/Photos/Hip-Shooter.jpg

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-26-2007, 07:34 AM
I think we will be getting ours any day now.

I will post as soon as they arrive.

Tony Buzolich
07-26-2007, 09:40 AM
Bill,

I just placed a large order with TFO and they have them in stock now. We should have ours here in the next couple of days as well.

TONY

Jay Murakoshi
07-27-2007, 06:58 PM
Brian,

I also have the first two protypes but very seldom used them in the surf. As I've explained in the past, I don't have alot of problems with tangled feet in the suds. But I now have one of the new hip shooters that I got from Stan to try out for flats wading. No not bone fish but sorta the second cousin - the golden bones, Carp.
This is definitly alot more user friendly when wading the shoreline and flats of the local lakes. Although the carp have been tough this year, I know they will show in numbers, maybe when the crowds go home.

Jay