PDA

View Full Version : Shad are still here!

Jeff C.
07-19-2007, 01:53 PM
There are still shad in the American. No huge numbers and you have to work to find them. Here's by count for the past few days:

Sun 10
Mon 4
Tue 3
Wed 3

It's not over until I make my last post on the subject for the season.

Jeff C.

Adam Grace
07-19-2007, 03:35 PM
Keep up the good fight Jeff!

Hairstacker
07-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Great job Jeff! Have enjoyed checking in on your shad reports throughout the season. Are you still testing your "photoluminescent tinsel" flies?

dtp916
07-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Jeff you would not believe how many guys are jealous of you catching these guys. 8)

Jeff C.
07-23-2007, 07:22 AM
Last hour of light weekend report:

Fri 3
Sat 2
Sun 3

Lots of missed hits and LDRs. Bruce fron San Diego got 13 in the middle of the day yesterday, so they can still be caught but you have to work for it. The glow in the dark tinsel works! Been tying mine with biots like a Prince. Jeff C.

Jeff C.
07-24-2007, 07:01 AM
6 last night (3 were hens). It was a beautiful evening and a spectacular sunset with the clouds. Only Bruce and I were fishing. Jeff C.

OceanSunfish
07-24-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks for continuing the reports.

Being out there with a good fishing friend, enjoying the weather/sunset, the sound of the river passing thru you, without the "usual" suspects that Ron describes so well, is great fishing. Bonus is catching a few. Enjoy.

Jeff C.
07-25-2007, 06:50 AM
2 last night. Bruce got 4. It wasn't peaceful like Monday evening. Loud heavy metal music and profanity from the people BBQ'ing right next to the water, Bob Sparre driving his boat up and down trying to put his clients into fish and a drift boat that showed up at sunset. Lots of surface activity after the sun went down. I think I'm going to use a floating line and skate some caddis tonight. Jeff C.

jlmelend
07-25-2007, 08:07 AM
I think I was upstream a click from both of you. I could hear the music downstream from me and a bunch of kids were splashing around in the water. Sparre's boat went right through where I was fishing, but I still landed a few after he took off by fishing a 250 grain line with a chartreuese dart. Curious to hear how the caddis dry works out for you Jeff. I'm staying tuned. Great reports, hope the season continues a bit until you are good and ready!

Joe

Adam Grace
07-25-2007, 04:07 PM
I have an off-the-point question for you guys....how far, or what distance is a "click" supposed to represent?

Niceguy
07-26-2007, 04:24 AM
Adam
I believe a click is slang for kilometer ( 1,093.63 yards), a good section of river if you have it to yourself.
Ralph

Adam Grace
07-26-2007, 07:02 AM
Thanks Ralph, I've heard the term in movies with military themes and never knew how much that click represented.

Jeff C.
07-27-2007, 08:23 AM
3 last night on caddis pupa wrapped with flourescent floss. They all hit the fly hard just before dark. One was a fat hen. Used my single handed 6 wt Performance Ply with a floating line. It felt like I was fishing with a toothpick after using my spey rod so much. Jeff C.

jlmelend
07-28-2007, 07:53 AM
So I really was a click upstream from Jeff C. last week! I always assumed a click meant a mile. I think I scared the fish downstream one click since he caught three times the number of shad that I did!

Jeff, I think the lumi floss has teeth to it. A spin rod guy was fishing next to me with a larva imitation lure that looked like a red death shad dart with 3 cm of a streaming tail on it. He caught 3 fish within a half hour of arriving. I'm thinking of adding some "tail" to my shad flies.

Good luck with the shad felllas. I'm going to hook up with Memms for some surf fishing in Hawaii, and I'm bringin the 8 weight...stay tuned.

Joe

Jeff C.
07-30-2007, 07:07 AM
The season is about over. Here's my Upper Sunrise weekend count:
Fri 1
Sat 2
Sun 0
I'm going to try Sailor Bar this week because I heard that they are still in the Basin. Jeff C.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-30-2007, 08:18 AM
Be interesting to snorkel the river.