PDA

View Full Version : Surfin' Merkin

PaulC
07-18-2007, 06:11 PM
Hey Guys,
Been a while since I contributed something, so here's a corbina pattern I've been fishing for a couple years with.
Alot of guys are doing well with it this year.
Have caught halibut, croaker and perch on it as well.

Hook: #6-#8 Gami SL11
Thread: UTC fire orange 140
Eyes: Black Dazl Eyes (size to fit the hook)
Flippers in the tail: Grey Sili Legs
Flash in the tail: UV Krystal flash
Body: Grey or Silver EP fiber tied on the bottom of the hook shank with figure 8 wraps. Build the body from the back towards the eyes.
Head flash: Orange electra flash or somethin orange for the egg sack attractor.
Coat the thread wraps on the top of the hook with UV knotsense or some form of epoxy for durability being dragged through the sand.

Meant to imitate a diving mole crab.
Paul

Bottom View
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/Cronin/merkin_bottom.jpg

Top View
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/Cronin/merkin_top.jpg

A toad on this bug
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/Cronin/bean2_paul_062807_2.jpg

David Lee
07-18-2007, 06:41 PM
:D :D :D

I've been waiting for a pattern sheet for this fly ........

Thanks Paul !!

David

Darian
07-18-2007, 08:38 PM
Paul,.... That's one nice Corbina.... Wish I'd have had that pattern In Baja, recently.... I've noticed several large fish (Jacks or Roosters rootin' around in the sand right in the water line.... Maybe they were after small crabs.

Adam Grace
07-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Nice fly, and nice Corbina!

jbird
07-18-2007, 09:34 PM
Paul

Awesome fish and nice fly. What line do you like for that fly and what retrieve do you use?

Thanks
jay

Adam Grace
07-19-2007, 12:24 AM
BTW, nice hat!

PaulC
07-19-2007, 07:05 AM
Hey Jay,
I am typically using 250 grain streamer express on my 6wt xi2. Loads the rod well and anchors the fly in current.
Only downfall to this setup is you have to lead the fish a bit to avoid crashing the line on them and spooking them.
If you miss the presentation, they will swim right over the head undisturbed, you can then strip in and run ahead for another shot.

Other guys are using the pattern with a clear intermediate and literally dropping the fly almost on the fish's nose.
The pattern has a real soft landing so you can get away with that.
This works real well for skinny water where your window of presentation is very short before the fish slide back out with the receding water.

Regardless, the trick is getting your bug within 6-12" of the fish so they can see it.
Then slow creeping short strips so the bug bounces on the sand and pushes sand like a burrowing mole crab.

Its definitely cool when you see a group of 5 fish, lead them, get your bug right in front of them and see one or two start following the bug.
Sometimes they will competitively race after it, sometimes its just a leisurely follow hopefully resulting in a grab.

The grabs are sometimes very solid, but alot of times they are a very subtle suck on the fly.
Keeping tension in the line is critical so you don't miss it before they spit it back out.

Frustrating fish at times, but one of the few opportunities we have for sight casting to fish in the surf in California.
-Paul

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-19-2007, 07:57 AM
Thanks Paul for the great report with cool photos.

Looks like you are really "matching the hatch"?

Have you tried a floating line with a long (10') leader?

We have fished the heavy surf at Christmas Island for Bonefish with a floating line, longer leader and heavy fly.

I have relatives down that way and will have to get there sometime to fish with you.

What are your best months for fly fishing in the saltwater?

How far are you from Vista, CA?

PaulC
07-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Hey Bill,
I have tried the floating line/long leader but have found it is more work to keep a tight connection with the bug and doesn't buy me much.
I know some guys fish that rig, but it is usually in extremely calm waters like belmont shores, etc.
Most of us are either fishing integrated lines or intermediate clear lines to give some control without excessive line movement.

We have lots of opportunity down here throughout the year for perch, halibut, etc.
The prime time for corbina is usually June-July, but fish start showing up as early as mid-april.
My first sight caught fish this season was early May.
I'm about 2.5 hours from Vista, but also fish closer in the LA area depending on whats happening beach wise.
The key is finding the beach with some structure, warm waters, no wind, and sun is preferable with decent groups of fish.
Its always easier to hook up when casting to groups vs. the solo corbina.

Let me know if you ever make it my way. I'd be happy to show you around.
-Paul

Hairstacker
07-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Paul, thank you for sharing the fly pattern with instructions and photos -- that is a cool fly! 8)

k.hanley
07-19-2007, 02:08 PM
Paul don't forget the fly pattern's origin. :D
Remember the thread on Bulla's?

Glad to see you guys are giving it a solid go. Bean fever has hit the season in stride big time. Nice going on that toad. Enjoy the grab!
Cheers, Ken

PaulC
07-19-2007, 03:11 PM
Hey Ken,
The name kinda stuck among the guys throwing it.
Just don't want my name in front of Merkin unless its an 8/0 pattern. lol.
Still gives some tracability back to its origins.
A bunch of us will be out pounding a section of beach on Saturday.
Should be fun!
-Paul

k.hanley
07-19-2007, 05:21 PM
Two thumbs up!
Cheers, Ken