PDA

View Full Version : Yucatan Report-Tarpon Cay Lodge & Isla Blanca

Lee Haskin
07-16-2007, 01:55 PM
The trip was a great success. The guys in our group were terrific, and a couple of the guys caught their first tarpon.

We tried for the bigger fish each of the 3 days at TCL, and only the last day was flat enough to really give us a shot.
Unfortunately, the fish were not around, and Pedro and Eliseo kept searching and found a number of small pods moving through, giving us good shots. Once again, casting played a huge roll in our success. I was fortunate to connect with a nice 40# fish, and since I was using a 12 wt. outfit, was considerably over gunned. Grin! The second fish was about 55#, provided more resistance to the big outfit, and gave us many high-flying jumps.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/LeeH/Bigtarpon55lbwebaaa.jpg

The inshore, baby tarpon scene was very sparse, for me. Virtually all the fish I encountered were back in the creeks. The fish seemed to be bunched up and a couple of our group connected with big numbers on 2 days.
The Neutralizer was extremely effective back in the creeks. Tan/chart., a new color, proved deadly.
Although the top water Slideball Sliders brought impressive strikes, many fish were missed or dropped.

In one creek, tangled with dead limbs and sticks, we found a concentration of snook, in addition to tarpon. I switched to a weedless Slideball Slider (yellow/white), and caught both snook and tarpon, and was able to really hit the cover without worries of hangups. I assumed the weedless hook would cause missed tarpon, but it didn't. Nice surprise. I plan to have a supply of weedless bugs for my next trip!

The 3 days at TCL were highlighted by one morning of calm conditions, enabling us to cruise the deeper, offshore area, for bigger tarpon.
I was able to catch a 40# and 55# tarpon, using the new 4" Big Mack (chart/white), and a larger baitfish pattern I call Cut Bait-5". I knew this pattern would be successful somewhere in the saltwater world, and was pleased to find that the tarpon ate it so readily. On both occassions there were 3 or 4 big tarpon chasing and striking the fly, before getting tight to a fish. The "hold method" kept the fly in the zone until the solid hook-up, and when the fish did finally grab, the fish were pinned in the corner of the mouth-perfect. I was 2 for 2 on the big fish using the "hold method"!!

Then off to Cancun/Isla Blanca.
Wednesday, I had a great day catching 2 small permit, a tarpon, and a huge 12# snook. I was a bonefish short of a Super Grand Slam!
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/LeeH/Permitsmallwebaaa.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/LeeH/SnookBig12lbwebaaa.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/LeeH/Tarponbabygrandslamwebaa.jpg
Enrique and I fished for over an hour, at the end of the day, looking for a bonefish, but it did not show. Unfortunately, there are fewer bonefish here than other areas of Mexico. Note: In the morning I did get a shot at a pod of bonefish and had them rush the fly, however, the hookup was a small jack that was cruising with the bones, that rushed forward to steal the fly. Grrrrrr! This happened to Jim Christianson too!
Here is a beautiful permit Jim caught early in the trip.
Jim is so modest, I knew he would not post his picture, so.....
Sorry Jim.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/LeeH/BigpermitJimwebaaa.jpg
I had the pleasure of fishing with Guy Deaner and we had a blast sneaking around the mangrooves, hunting baby tarpon. Here is a very nice "baby" that Guy caught.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/LeeH/TarponGuyDeanerweb.jpg

The last day, I fished with Edwin, one of the best guides I've ever fished with. We concentrated on bonefish and permit, and it didn't take long to find the bones. However, the hooked pulled out on the first screaming run. It was only a few minutes later that a big ray came by with 6 big permit (see pic) following close. The crab dropped to the side of the ray and 3 permit rushed out to grab it. That fish burned off about 125 yds. of backing, and I was impressed with the smooth operation of the newTargus/Gary Borger reel! The permit was about 8#.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/LeeH/Permitbigwebaa.jpg
Shortly after that a pod of about 10 bonefish came in on us and I had a small pink puff ready to go. After several good casts and rejections (very odd) the guide told me to change back to my crab pattern. Oddly enough the bones stayed around, feeding. Fortunately, I was able to tie on the crab, make the cast and hook up.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/LeeH/Bonefishwebaaa.jpg

Now that the permit and bonefish were "in the bag" we headed north for tarpon. It didn't take long before a tarpon was along side the boat, our Slam complete.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/LeeH/Tarponbabygrandslamwebaa.jpg
With about an hour left in the day, we rushed further north for a shot at snook and the Super Grand Slam. Very few fish were around, and they were very spooky. I only had one shot, and the big snook were indifferent. What an incredible day on the water!!

On my "day off", rather than lay around the pool and sip cocktails, I decided to wade-fish around the marina. There were plenty of shots at permit, and I ended up with 2, and some nice barracuda. It was awesome, and I had a blast. It is amazing how much wade fishing is available now, in Isla Blanca, post-hurricane.

Here are some notes on the trip:

I was glad I included my 12 wt. outfit for TCL. Better to be "over-gunned" than undergunned. Some guys had 9 wt. outfits as their "big setup" and that was way too light for the off shore fish. A 10 wt. would be a minimum, as long as the reel was a high quality, large capacity reel.

At IB, I think a 9 wt. is perfect for permit (usually in windy conditions), and an 8 wt., or 9 wt., is probably fine for the baby tarpon.

After comparing the Quickshooter with the Ultra 4, I think the Ultra 4 is still the very best line for the Yucatan.

I like the 50 lb. pre-straightened mono bite for the baby tarpon and snook, and 80# bite for the offshore tarpon.

Once again, the twisted leaders were steller, without one failure. I recently discovered that Berkeley Big Game mono is best to make twisted leaders. This mono can be hand-straightened, which is very helpful in making the twisted leaders!

Most people do not take or use "pull ropes" for tightening their leaders/flies, and this resulted in some breakoffs. This should be emphasized and some training given on their use.

Also, I used a John Quigley, 7' furled leader (traditional thread-type) for my permit/bonefish setup. I simply looped a 3 foot section of 10# or 12# leader, to the fly. This furled leader turned over much better than a typical bonefish leader, and I noticed that some people used leaders much too long (me, initially! Grin! :oops: )and had a difficult time turning over the fly, for permit and bonefish. As long as the leader rolled out/turned over properly, 10' was enough. Sloppy leaders were a problem for the weak casters, spooking fish, or not being able to control the fly. I was very impressed with the extra control I had with the furled leader, and I intend to use them exclusively for permit and bones.

Once again, Keith Kaneko, at Angling On The Fly, did a great job preparing us for the trip, and Marco and his staff did everything they could to make our trip a success! Being able to stay at a nice hotel, just 15 minutes away from the marina, is a big improvement from years past. We were certainly pampered at Blue Bay.

Many thanks to my fishing partners, Jim and Guy, for a wonderful trip. :wink:

The others in our group were great companions as well, and I hope to fish with them again, someday: Cheers to Dave, George, and Chat.

Also, on this trip, I had a chance to really fish the new Targus/Gary Borger, rods and reels. They are awesome, and performed perfectly. If you get a chance to try them, I'm sure you will be impressed. :shock:

Sometime soon, I will post pictures of the new flies used on this trip.

Cheers,
Lee Haskin

Leo
07-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Hey Lee
Congratulations on the "Slams". Good things happen to good guys. Thanks for the heads up on the Twisted leaders, too bad not everyone has wised up to them yet. I'm glad that you are severly testing the concept. I'm sure you will find the best materials and knots to improve a good idea and move on to a better mouse trap.
Best regards,
Leo

Rick J
07-16-2007, 07:36 PM
Leo - your leaders held up well on our trip as well - thanks so much for sharing your system with us last year at TCL. No break offs this year at TCL- just alot of spit hooks but that is fine!!!

Best regards,
Rick

sculpin
07-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the really great report Lee.

Mark

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-16-2007, 08:14 PM
Thanks Lee for the fantastic report and great photos.

Adam Grace
07-16-2007, 10:38 PM
Nice report, I'm happy that you guys had a nice trip.

Rick J
07-17-2007, 06:00 AM
Lee - I love that snook!!!!!!

k.hanley
07-17-2007, 08:15 AM
Nice job Lee. Jim's permit is a beauty, so is your snook.
Cheers, Ken

Anne Vitale
07-17-2007, 06:15 PM
Wow...great report Lee. Congratulations on that slam. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures of those flies. I hope to make the trip down there next summer.......Anne

flyflotr
07-17-2007, 06:42 PM
Great report, awesome trip!

FISHEYE
07-17-2007, 09:31 PM
Lee, great report. Tell me in more detail please what a "pull rope" is. Thanks! Phil

Lee Haskin
07-18-2007, 10:15 AM
Hi Phil,

A pull rope is really the best way to seat a knot when using heavy bite material. This is simply a 2', 1/4" rope, with the ends tied together. You loop the rope around your foot, and hook the fly to the rope. This provides a "3rd hand" which is necessary to get the proper pull on a Kreh Loop.

I use a multi tool to pull on the tag end, and then use a glove on the other hand to wrap the leader and pull on the standing end. You moisten the knot and pull on both the tag end and standing end at the same time.

Once the knot is tight and the tag is removed, you stand up and pull on the butt section of your leader, testing the entire bite/class section.

Notes: It is a good idea to practice with a boga or other scale, so you know just how much pressure you are applying. This will help you duplicate the MAX pressure on the water.
If you have a bad knot or weak leader, you WANT it to fail when pulling on the rope. If you can apply the max. pressure you can be assured the system will hold on a fish, generally. :shock:

...and always retest/pull the leader after a big fish, and always inspect the leader for wear or knicks.

Even for my striper setup I loop the fly through a D ring on my float tube and pull the tag with piers, and the standing end, the same way.

Probably more information than you were looking for, Phil, but the "devil is in the details"!!!! :wink:

Hope this helps.

Lee
$.02
Lee

FISHEYE
07-18-2007, 11:45 AM
Lee, thanks! I was looking for those details. On many of the pangas I have fished from there is usually some place to hook the hook and tighten and test my knots. I have been thinking of something like this with a small snap swivel or d ring attached so I always have something with me. Phil

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-18-2007, 09:56 PM
I recommend really pulling up your knots after you tie on your fly and holding the pressure for about 5 seconds.

I like to hook the fly/hook around something friendly that won't hurt the hook.

I was in Nat Ragland's flats boat in FL some years back and he had something like a stainless steel eye hook on his console for this purpose.

I like to hook the fly on something, then come all the way back into the fly line and pull solidly on the entire leader system.

Then be sure your barb is down and the hook is sharp.

Be sure your fly is straight/balanced so it does not spin or twist when you retrieve it.

No use testing the knots of big fish.

I like Lee's idea...I'll have to try it.

Hairstacker
07-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Fantastic report Lee, thanks! Great tip on the "pull rope." I have also found it particularly important to pay extra attention to properly seating Lefty's Non-slip Loop knot or it will slip, often causing the tag end to pull through and dismantle the knot when it does.

Anne Vitale
07-19-2007, 01:43 PM
Hairstacker....Thanks for posting your experience with Lefty's "non -slip" knot. For a while there, when ever the knot slipped for me, even though I thought I was tying it right, the knot would fail and I would loose a fish. :mad:

However, earlier this year I started taking extra precautions. I tie the knot in the usual way but before I tighten it fully by hand, I moisten the knot, place the nose end of my hemostat through the loop and tighten the overhand knot by firmly pushing against the fly end of the loop. Then I grasp the tag end with the clamp part of the hemostat and pull the wraps tight down to the overhand knot. In re reading Lee's pull rope explanation, I see that it is essentially the same thing just on a different scale. I have not had a knot fail me since. Funny how we continue to learn new things about something as simple as tying a knot. :roll:

Lee Haskin
07-19-2007, 03:01 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words on the report. I was very fortunate to do well, with most of the credit going to great guides, Edwin and Enrique.

Here is a picture of the new flies that worked so well in very shallow and clear conditions where a "light touch" was needed to create very little splash or noise, yet still sink slowly. I actually had these flies last year in Campeche, but didn't try them. The baitfish patterns, on the left, were the flies that worked this trip, and the flies on the right are similar and untested...for now! :wink: Grin!

This fly actually rises in the column when it is stripped and will stay in the film if stripped continuously.
This fly has some real potential for other species too, when tied in smaller or larger sizes.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/LeeH/Tarponbabywithfoamflycloseupwebaaa.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/LeeH/LeesLightTouchweb.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Lee