PDA

View Full Version : A new beginning

jbird
07-16-2007, 01:47 PM
There is always something so special about the first summer steelhead of the season. I feel like a virgin all over again :D I think early summer steelies on the rogue are the hottest fish of the year. I broke the ice today with this beauty. He tailwalked 3 times, flipped a few times, greyhounded once, and just flat out kicked my butt with his early summer self :D He even put on a tail walk show for a nice lady and 3 children who went rafting by.

How suprised I was to find he had a fin missing 8) 8)

I had the last laugh!!! :lol: :lol: :D :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/DSC01500.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/DSC01504.jpg

Jay

Adam Grace
07-16-2007, 03:26 PM
Nice fish, congrats. The fillets look tasty but they make me sad.

jbird
07-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Hi Adam

I kill less than 1% of the steelhead I land. I hate the hassle of the whole process. And I only like the freshest of the fresh. Like the one I got today. I usually kill a fish at the beginning of the summer run if its bright and clean. Sometimes too at the onset of winter fish...tho not as often.
I dont know why it would make you sad...Its a pellet head. I think they should be killed. I just dont have the heart or the patience to be the one to do it, Thats why I let em all go with the exception of a select few. Too many hatchery fish running around a river system is not a good thing for the native fish.
A native fish of coarse is a totally different animal. Its a different species in my mind. Theyre God-made fish. The one above is man made. I only posted the picture cause the colour of the meat just took my breath away. If I get more negetive feedback on it, I'll remove it :) No problemo.

Jay

SullyTM
07-16-2007, 06:06 PM
jbird...Nice steelie! Is that what I can expect in August?! What fly did you use and what flies do you recommend. The Rouge one of the places I'm hoping to get to. Have you ever fished the Holy Water stretch and/or the 20+ miles stretch outside of Grants Pass heading West?

...a nice red wine with the fillet?

Later...

David Lee
07-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Congrats on the first summer fish of the season !!

David :D

MSP
07-16-2007, 06:12 PM
Very COOL Jay! I think you have a lot of guys quite jealous down this way! :-({|= Keep up the good work! Nice to see a Steelhead again!

jbird
07-16-2007, 06:57 PM
Thom
You have a pm

Mike
You know it wont be long before we see THE HAND :D

Jay

sculpin
07-16-2007, 06:58 PM
Hey Jay, it's nice to see someone has time to fish. Those early summer steelhead fillets are the best. I've usually got some by now but it will be a couple of weeks before I'm able to get out fishing.

Adam, don't feel sad for the pellet heads. It's a one way trip for them. They are all dumped in cafish ponds or turned into fish pellets when the hatchery is finished with them.

Mark

jbird
07-16-2007, 07:11 PM
One other note about this fish. I think it was a transvestite :shock: :D It fought like a hen, it looked like a hen...heck there wasnt even any question in my mind. After fileting the fish, I tossed the carcas in a bag. I was finishing up and thought..."I wonder if theres anything in her stomach worth digging for" (cover your eyes children) I dug the guts out of the bag and thats when it hit me...She was a He! Man! Us humans are even influencing the steelhead population with our identity crisis' :lol: :D

Jay

Adam Grace
07-16-2007, 10:33 PM
I've never heard the term a "pellet head," now I understand the killing of a pellet head... I hope that enjoy your bottle of red wine and your delicious fish. Good luck with the rest of your season.

PaulC
07-17-2007, 06:37 AM
Jay,
You're making me hungry looking at those primo fillets.
Nothing wrong with keeping a hatchery fish here and there.
Reminds me of corbina fishing the other week and a guy watched me release a nice fish.
His comment...."BRO...you're making me hungry!!"Lol.
-Paul

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-17-2007, 07:33 AM
Theoretically we should be taking/killing ever hatchery fish so the wild fish can spawn and keep the wild stain alive?

What do you think?

I let the hatchery fish go in the lower American River so someone else can catch them.

jbird
07-17-2007, 08:00 AM
Bill

I agree wholeheartedly. I get a smile whenever I see someone walking up the bank with a fish or two (hatchery of coarse). Not only happy for the angler, but happy for the "greater good". There are so many reasons I dont like to kill em tho. Having to tote the body around as I continue fishing for the day. Finding a pen that works to tag them :lol: Killing such a beautiful animal is always a bummer. The slime in the back of my truck :shock: Then I'm kinda tired when I get home but the fish needs to be dressed immediately. And to top it off, I dont really like em that much. These are all my own little whiney pet peaves. The "greater good" is. Just like you said Bill, protecting our native steelhead. And of almost equal importance. My wife loves to eat steelhead. Bringing home a fish is a guaranteed ticket for me to go back to the river :D :D :D

Jay

slage
07-17-2007, 08:57 AM
Nice catch JBird!!!
Whew, there really is a summer run...somewhere :D
Keep up the great work and rub it in our faces for a while...

OceanSunfish
07-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Nice catch and filet job too. Although I see a little 'belly meat' missing on the lower filet. :D Next time. Perhaps, BBQ it whole and you can pick off the extra meat off the bones and cheeks :D

If Oregon F&G needs to mitigate the effects stemming from the installation of the dam by releasing hatchery fish, then anglers should be free and clear to harvest their legal limit of hatchery steelhead or salmon. Not because it supports wild fish, but because dining on the 'catch' is primarily the reason why most people partake in fishing. It's fun anyways.

I get the 'green light' to go fishing for 'springer salmon' because the wife likes these early fish too.

Anyway, nice fish Jbird. I bet it sizzled on the BBQ. :evil: