PDA

View Full Version : Fish ID Help

trikebent
07-12-2007, 07:17 PM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x69/trikebent/DSC02421.jpg

Small bait fish that I hooked at Sterling Lake in the Sierras. Anyone know what it is?

Tony Buzolich
07-12-2007, 10:01 PM
I'm pretty sure it's called a Dace. Perhaps a Red-sided Dace?

Lots of lakes in the sierras have them. I've seen frozen by the zillions at the dam at Boca Reservoir in the winter and also at Eagle Lake around Thanksgiving.
TONY

Katz
07-13-2007, 12:03 PM
There are zillions in Tahoe as well.

Katz

Mike McKenzie
07-13-2007, 12:46 PM
a Lahonton Redside (Minnow family,Cyprinidae ) native to the east side of the Sierras and translocated to many places by fisher folks....Your picture is a nice shot of a male fish in spawning colors .

Here's a "normal" lookin' shot.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/stripermike/LahontonRedside.jpg

My .02¢
Mike

Tracy Chimenti
07-13-2007, 04:57 PM
lahontan redside minnow. Spun quite a few of the little #$@%&*'s behind a dodger for macks. Biggest woose in Lake Tahoe!

David Lee
07-13-2007, 05:13 PM
lahontan redside minnow. Spun quite a few of the little #$@%&*'s behind a dodger for macks. Biggest woose in Lake Tahoe!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Durn bait fisherman ........ :P :P :P

How's your 'pet' Leech doing ?? I trust you saved him for show an' tell at the shop (as David trys to figure out a way to slip the Leech into Bill's waterbottle ..... :evil: ) .

David :D

Tracy Chimenti
07-13-2007, 05:23 PM
He's doing fine. I slipped him into the tub the other night and it was quite a hoot with my wife and all!

Did you ever get a job, Finklestein ____kid? :wink:

David Lee
07-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Yeah ...... Women - no sense of humor !

Did you ever get a job, Finklestein ____kid? :wink:

Actually , I did . Quit it a couple of weeks ago (my tolerance for bullshit has not improved much w/ age ....) . It's a shame , really ..... I was making good $$$ but couldn't sort out having to work w/ potheads/control freaks .

Time to look for a different career . Perhaps motivational speaking ??

David :)

P.S. - You gonna make it to the BUGFEST this fall ?? We're thinkin' late September .......

Tracy Chimenti
07-13-2007, 06:30 PM
never heard of it. What is it? Sounds interesting.

trikebent
07-13-2007, 07:16 PM
I love this board. Tons of info.
Thanks!
I'm off for a 1 week backpacking trip to do the Rae Lakes loop with my son's Scout Troop. (with my fly rod of course!!! :D ) I'll post a report when I get back.

David Lee
07-13-2007, 07:23 PM
Trikebent -

Good luck on your trip , and a HUGE I'M SORRY for the highjack :oops:

Hope ya get 'em !!

David :D

Ed Wahl
07-13-2007, 08:36 PM
I thought bugfest was held at Upper Meiss Meadows in mid summer. Can't imagine more bugs than that. Damn that itches. Ed :D

Ed Wahl
07-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the ID Mike, I was thinking Dace also. There's a lake that I fish very late in the year for Cutts that has a huge supply of these. You could fill a landing net in one pass in the inlet stream, or rather the inlet trickle. I have yet to see if the Cutts end up growing as large as the Brookies that were poisened out of there. I'll just have to leave the Salmon alone for one weekend this year and go find out. Ed

Hairstacker
07-14-2007, 01:00 AM
BUG FEST?
never heard of it. What is it? Sounds interesting.

Tracy, you know, bass bugging out on the Delta. It will be a blast! :D

Ed, good one! :lol: