PDA

View Full Version : 3 bones are better than one

mems
07-10-2007, 10:51 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/mems15/P7100099.jpg
Aloha, this is Darrel my client today hooked up to his first bonefish of his life.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/mems15/P7100102.jpg
check out that smile, he was pretty stoked. he continued to catch his second and third bonefish in succession. I think this made his Hawaiian vacation one he will always remember. I was very proud of him, Mems.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/mems15/P7100106.jpg

Adam Grace
07-11-2007, 07:58 AM
That area looks familiar. Thanks again for the fishing trip Don!

Darian
07-11-2007, 08:43 AM
It's truly amazing that a fish, any fish, can bring on so many smiles.... Guess that's why we keep coming back. :D :D :D

Niceguy
07-12-2007, 04:26 AM
Hey congradulation Darrel on a !st The smile says it all. Don, I have a question is that the Stan P. Dave Sellers stripping basket on Darrels hip.
I've heard talk but no pictures of it. Again, great fish!
Ralph

Jay Murakoshi
07-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Hey Mems,

I just sent some flies to Hawaii.. Coach Duff. Sounds like one of these days I'll have to make a trip back to my old stomping grounds

Jay

mems
07-15-2007, 10:30 PM
Aloha Jay, yeah he gave me a call. Coach Duff wants to get into some off-shore action. I might get some rainbow tickets out of it. I hope you do get back here, there are some monster bones just inside the surf. Drop me a line when you do come, Don.

mems
07-15-2007, 10:34 PM
Sorry Ralph, I missed your question. Yes I believe that is the hip shooter basket. Great for travel, mangrove and TFO are going to produce that now and it should be more readily available. I hope Bill brings them into his shop. Darrell let me check his out. It really is a neat design. I hope you can get one, Don.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-16-2007, 08:28 AM
If you ever get a chance to go on a good Bonefish trip, don't pass it up.

Lots of fly fishers are getting in a few hours of Bonefishing on a family cruise or tropical vacation, but a 'commando' week long trip to a top destination is quit different.

There are hundreds of good Bonefish destinations but there are only a few excellent ones. There are lots of places where the wading is limited and you can hook a few fish a day.

I think my top picks would be Christmas Island below HI, Los Roques off the coast of Venezuela and a few places in the Bahamas.

Bonfishing is very nice, especially in a top destination with almost 100% wading. Anywhere from 10 to 40 Bonefish a day is the norm in these places.

Where is your favorite Bonefish destination?

mems
07-16-2007, 02:48 PM
Aloha Bill, I am headed to X-mas island tomorrow. It will be my first time so I can't say as yet how good it is. I went out this morning on Oahu and got a nice bonefish that came in at 26inches. It was a beast. I doubt they will be that big in X-mas but the numbers should be better. I am hoping for a nice ulua to get on my 12wt. To me bonefish places are like trout spots, they only hang out in cool places. Nothing like wading on a flat and sight fishing to big bones! Wish me luck, Mems.

Glen Tagami
07-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Hey Don,

Thanks for all of the advice on fishing the big island. I didn't have time to fish all the spots but I was able to visit most of them and make some notes for my next trip over there. Maybe we can hook up next time around. Here's one I got while on Oahu last week.

Glen

http://www.pbase.com/longfly/image/82810739/original.jpg

mems
07-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Hi Glen, congrats on the Oahu bone. I got a nice 26 inch 8lber before I went to x-mas. I got home and went out with my son and picked up a nice 3lb one here in Hilo. I am sorry we didn't hook up. I saw your post about Naoki's place. I hope you dropped my name. I think you will really enjoy the Ulua one in your home. That sailfish is beautiful. He really does nice work, and is a great guy. Give me a call next time you are in the islands. Don.