PDA

View Full Version : Mulege, 2007

JerryInLodi
07-09-2007, 09:03 PM
What a difference a year can make. While 2006 was not a banner year in Mulege, I caught more than enough dorado on the fly to satisfy myself. This year things were very different. Darian, Mark and myself arrived to a party being thrown in our honor by our host Cliff Taylor. They were also celebrating the arrival of a school of dorado, 25 to 28 miles straight out.

Our first few days were spent chasing but not catching that school. We picked up a few fish trolling, all singles. Then the wind began to blow. It blew almost every day, not enough to keep us harbor bound but enough to make the 25-28 mile trip out to the fishing grounds a laborious 2 and a half hour trip with another hour and a half return trip to look forward to when we were done for the day.

We tried fishing closer to shore but again only found single dorado and only one a sortie. We filled in the time fishing the rocks, clamming and chasing a newly discovered bay full of roosters.

The nights however were always something to look forward to with numerous fish fries, clam bakes and gallons of cerveza and quarts of margaritas.

My guide friend, Victor, was just as frustrated as us and stopped by to plan an assault on the Cortez further north, launching our boats out of San Bruno.

We made three trips to San Bruno the second week and again struck out. Now in the past, San Lucas Cove and the area of Santa Rosalia has always been a sure thing since the Humboldt squid fishermen catch thousands of squid just outside Santa Rosalia and after catching them, throw the offal into the bay. In any ordinary year this brings on thousands of dorado who surround the squid boats at night, stuffing themselves on tentacles and other tasty squid morsels. However the squid fishermen reported that this year the dorado were no where to be found.

The last day we fished San Bruno was the most frustrating with water temperatures dropping to a low of 73.5 degrees! Cold enough for trout fishing. In fact, the Cortez temperatures were all over the map. We'd find water at 78 degrees one day, only to return a day later to the exact same spot by GPS and find the water 83 degrees.

Some days we'd find water with the right temperature, lots of weed and NO FISH. We did see enough marlin to make things interesting and had a number of teasers ripped from the stern as well as hooking up with a big striped marlin on live bait. The fish made several good runs before tossing the circle hook, no matter, we had already gotten the best the fish had to offer.

The most willing fish were the rock fish, especially the triggers, able to give a ten weight a good work out and a real strain on my eight weight. The super hot fly for triggers turned out to be a 1/0 chartreuse woolly bugger with the fish almost jerking the rod out of my hands on several occasions.

Was the trip fun? For me, Mexico is always fun. I saw friends from years past and made many new ones. The fish fries and parties were great. Some days the rock fishing was outstanding and the clamming and snorkeling is always fun.

Were there some disappointments, of course. Two weeks in Baja without a single dorado caught on a fly is something I would have bet a thousand dollars could never happen, yet, this year, it did. Why, I don't know. Maybe the low water temperatures, maybe el nino, maybe over fishing, maybe lack of bait, maybe the commercial boats have targeted dorado, maybe we were just early this year.

Will I go again next year? Probably but I'll go with my wife and lowered expectations. Mulege is still a small gem on the coast, with lots of snorkeling, rock fishing, clamming, and socializing. I don't HAVE to catch dorado to make the time spent a success. I've already caught so many that in some ways, blind casting to the rocks is an even greater thrill than dorado fishing since it's a grab bag of toothy critters, some of which can easily bust up your gear.

Are there some good years left for the Sea of Cortez? I hope so. Things could get much better quickly if the Mexican government would realize the vast amount of revenue earned by attracting sport fishermen and comparing that to the money earned by purse seining bait fish for protein powder, dragging the bottom relentlessly for shrimp, long lining and gill netting along the shore and in blue water with anything targeted from a cabrilla to a blue marlin.

Even with these constant assaults, Mulege will produce a few more good summers and I hope to be there. Maybe during that time, the lights will turn on in Mexico City and the fish of the Sea of Cortez will get a break.

I hope that Darian and Mark chime in and give their opinions as well, especially being first timers to Mulege. I'm sure the other board members would like to hear their opinions.

Darian
07-10-2007, 07:55 AM
Amen Jerry,.... I too was disappointed at the lack of Dorado in the area and the cool water temps. However, there was the discovery of the Roosters, the clamming, the place and a certain fish comes to mind that was caught by Mark; a large Skippy. The fish really had some girth to it and fought like all Skippies do.... 8) 8)

I would've preferred to have eaten out a couple of more times but the gatherings, with great neighbors, were very good. I probably had more Margarita's in tha two week period than I've had during my entire life. They were soooo.... cooling.

I was disappointed to note that the locals haven't taken care of the estuary that runs thru the oasis. It's a beautiful setting, established by the missionaries with date palms, lush greens and flowers everywhere. The people are friendly, the young senorita's are beautiful, the ice cream cold.The estuary, however, is heavily polluted.

Altho, the estuary was visibly the worst, all of the waters surrounding local towns had flotsam floating around in it with plastic soft drink containers seen many miles off shore. 8) 8) Not much investment in infrastructure. Enough of that.....

I did confirm, once again, that trolling is not my cup of tea. However, there was little other choice to try to locate fish. The fun fishing for me were the Roosters close to shore, rock fishing and the clamming. 8) 8)

Not sure I'll return to Mulege' as I find the areas around La Ventana and East Cape more to my liking.... 8) 8) 8) One thing's for sure, I'm too old and into creature comforts to do any more marathon driving ventures. Gotta have more rest days involved. 8) 8) 8)

sculpin
07-10-2007, 07:23 PM
I think Jerry's comments about the fishing we're on target. I spend most of my time in Baja during the winter and I think the fishing is as good then, as we experienced on this trip. Poor.
I enjoyed the town of Mulege because it is a Mexican town and not a tourist trap. The people are very friendly and helpful. The camp parties were the best part of the trip and we met a lot of great folks. Both Gringos and Mexican. I think I will be back in the area at some point, perhaps this winter. There are several areas close by I want to explore.
I have to hand it to Jerry to want to do the drive down every year. He's tougher than I am. Because I'm from Oregon, I had another six hours of driving on the other guys and I have to say, over all, the drive really sucks. For Me, a big portion of the drive that is miserable, is in California. Sorry if I stepped on any toes. The first half of the drive to Mulege is really poor also. I can say without reservation, it sure was nice to hit the Oregon border on the way home. :D

Mark

JerryInLodi
07-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Mark, it's amazing how easy the ride home is on the years where your fingers on your right hand have big grooves cut in them from the second and third runs by feisty dorado.

I think it's like the difference in coming back from a game in a team bus, the winner's ride is a short one, the loser's ride never ends. Not that we were losers but we did share a certain amount of disappointment about the lack of fishing. From what I've seen so far, that disappointment is not limited to Mulege this year.

flyflotr
07-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Hi Jerry,

Fishing in Loreto is not much better. Dorado are very scarse and small, water was warm enough out about 30 miles, but little to be found. We got into Dorado once in 4 days of fishing.

Darian
07-26-2007, 08:57 PM
Now that I'm close to recovered from my "summer cold", I'm going to post some pic's of Mulege', itself:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/jockscot/DSCN0183.jpg
Sunrise off Isla San Marcos (north of Mulege')

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/jockscot/DSCN0179.jpg
River and date palms surrounding Mulege'

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/jockscot/DSCN0175.jpg
Estuary/harbor entrance from the "front yard"

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/jockscot/DSCN0177.jpg
Mission at Mulege'

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/jockscot/DSCN0171.jpg
Jerry and Mark during a lull in rock fishing

As you can tell, Mulege' is picturesque. Also, there is a mangrove swamp area surrounding the estuary. Fish dimple the surface in the AM/PM. Jerry tried a fly in the estuary one evening and did get a strike but couldn't hook up. Jerry fished with his delta Bass fly for rockfish. I'm quite sure, that pattern has accounted for more species than he ever anticipated (fresh and/or saltwater).

Minus the wind and cool water temps, the weather was very pleasant. As Jerry said, our host (Cliff) was a great guy who loves to entertain and provides a great place to bunk.

JerryInLodi
07-26-2007, 09:05 PM
Darian, great photos.

Al's group did get into some dorado about 17 miles out from San Marcos. They couldn't get out there every day though because the wind has not stopped blowing.

From reports around Baja, it sounds like this year was a bust pretty much throughout Baja, not just Mulege.

sculpin
07-27-2007, 05:39 AM
Sorry to hear about your having a cold Darian. Those are some nice photo's of the trip. This weekend will be the fist days I've taken off since we returned and I'll be sorting through the stuff from the trip. It's been in a pile since our return. I may have a picture or two that are worth posting.

Mark