PDA

View Full Version : Probe into DFG's idiotic salmon smolt release methods..

Mike McKenzie
07-07-2007, 10:32 AM
http://www.marinij.com/fastsearchresults//ci_6310124

The link above covers a story that deals with the idiotic way that DFG releases salmon smolts. Over the last several years this has been one of my pet peeves and I have offered a solution to DFG several times but have not been able to pursue it as a member of the Striped Bass Stamp Fund Advisory Committee for the last year, due to the effective "neutering" of the Committee by DFG management policies. (no meetings and none scheduled)

There is a simple answer to this problem and in fact, has been tried in a study done by DFG and the Fisheries Foundation several years ago that met with success in that there was an increase in the smolt survival numbers. This was borne out by the increased returns in that year class.

The study consisted of releasing smolts into nets pens so they can "acclimate" themselves to their new environment. The next step was to tow the pens out to the deep water and "drizzle" them out (releasing) as they were being towed. The result being there were no big concentrations of stunned and disoriented smolts subject to extreme predation. This whole operation seems a "no brainer" to anyone except a "gummint" bureaucrat!

The lastest development is that the "new" Bay/Delta Sportfishing Enhancement Stamp Fund Advisory Committee has authorized $50K for another net pen study. I hope all striper and salmon fishers call the Assemblymembers and ask them to support Assemblymember Jared Huffman's effort!

I tried to e-mail him through his web site but it only accepts e-mail from folks with an address in his district! So I'm calling his office tommorow AM to offer him information on what I know about the whole situation and the process involved, should he want it! You folks that are inclined to support this effort, I again say please let your own Assemblymembers know that you want them to support this effort. Also it would be helpful to let the man know that he's doing good work! Here is his contact info. ( you all can find your own here: http://www.assembly.ca.gov/defaulttext.asp )

Assemblymember Jared Huffman

State Capitol
P.O. Box 942849
Sacramento, CA 94249-0006
Tel: (916) 319-2006
Fax: (916) 319-2106

District Offices:
County of Marin
3501 Civic Center Drive,
Room 412
San Rafael, CA 94903
Tel: (415) 479-4920