PDA

View Full Version : Something To Think About

Glen Tagami
07-06-2007, 05:06 PM
I happened to be browsing a popular fly fishing oriented website and I found that one of the images I had posted here on the boards was used in an article on their site without my permission. I usually include my name on any images that I post for this very reason but the image was re-sized in the article and my name became illegible. It was no big deal since I didn't include a copyright with the image but I shot them an email anyway letting them know that I saw it and that I was giving them my okay. No harm, no foul.

I don't know who shoots what and at what level but I think it's a good idea to make sure you watermark or "tag" your images with your name and/or a copyright if you don't want your images to be used elsewhere. Or, if they are used elsewhere, you are infromed and are given a photo credit.

There are a lot of talented shooters on this board (bolden, adam, etc.) and I would hate to see your work go uncredited.

GT

k.hanley
07-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Good heads up suggestion Glenn. As you know, from previous conversations at your house, I've had this problem happen a lot. It is frustrating to say the least. I think people feel it's ok once it's on the web....not so. Basic common courtesy and basic business courtesy is still in effect. Folks should always ask permission for use no matter what. I hope your work is appreciated and respected better in the future.
Cheers, Ken
PS: I tried dropping a subtle hint on a previous post.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-06-2007, 08:07 PM
If I use/borrow a photo from another site I always give them credit with a link.

I would only use photos for message board stuff and not perminent articles.

Stealing photos is wrong.

Adam Grace
07-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Glen, thank you for the great idea. I think that Rob K. should also watermark his pictures due to their attractiveness and quality.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Rob
07-06-2007, 08:53 PM
There was a thread on a photography forum about this exact thing , a professional photographers photos , were being sold by someone else in another country and they sold a ton of his photos. :twisted: He was able to get them to stop, but was never reimbursed for the money made on his photos. :twisted: They recommended water marks or re-size the photo so they are very small , when someone tries to enlarge them they are to grainy to use.

Can you watermark a photo with photoshop??

Rob
07-06-2007, 09:13 PM
I found this at photoshop911

http://photoshop911.typepad.com/help/2004/04/watermarking_ph.html