PDA

View Full Version : Fly fishing travel hints

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-04-2007, 11:57 AM
Be sure that you fully understand how a trip will run with an itinerary and all details. Find all cost involved too.

After you figure out where you want to go, you need to find out about the timing for that destination.

Time of year can be very important plus the moon phase and tides.

Then you need to get a deposit down about a year in advance to get a descent week at a popular, productive destination.

After the trip is set comes all the preparation.

Having exactly the right equipment is really important. No more, no less because there are freight limits to consider too.

Lastly and most important is your casting/fishing skills.

This is a huge limiting factor on fly fishing trips. Get a casting tuneup lesson and then try to use the equipment you are taking on the trip in a similar live situation.

Many of us are too busy to fish weekly or month locally so going on a serious "commando" fly fishing trip once a lifetime or even once a year will really make you life more exciting.

Let me know if you need any advice on planning a nice trip.

jbird
07-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Bill

That is excellent advise! I love these little tidbits you offer on this site.

I will be going to the florida keys to fish for tarpon in september (hurricane permitting :shock: ) I have never done this type of fishing. What would be your advise on preparation? I have heard that a good drill is to stand on a 5 gallon bucket and practice casting into the wind with a 12wt....along with some strength training.

Thanks

jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-04-2007, 10:19 PM
Great Jbird,

The big Atlantic Tarpon migration in the Keys is about mid-April till mid-June.

Tarpon like warmer water so April through November is the time they seem to be more active to the fly.

You will find some 'resident' Tarpon that are big in the Fall but you will always have the baby Tarpon (5-30#) around.

Most all Tarpon fly fishing is from a boat so you will need to rent a boat or get a guide.

I know you are a seasoned angler so you won't need too much preparation.

I would say one of the most difficult habits to break is to not raise the rod tip while setting the hook. They have a hard mouth so it takes a lot to set the hook into them.

I wrote an article on fly fishing for baby Tarpon which should help some.

http://www.kiene.com/articles/flyfishingforbabytarpon.htm

If you are going to be with a good skiff guide you will get lots of help and you can use their equipment too.

Have on a good pair of Polarized glasses.

Rick J
07-22-2007, 01:30 PM
A type of casting folks often do not practice prior going on a tropical trip where casting from a boat is quick casts starting by having maybe 30 feet out the rod tip and holding the leader/line connection in your hand with the leader looped and the fly in the other hand - start the cast by roll casting the fly out and then quickly making a back cast (prior to fly hitting the water/lawn) and no more than one more back cast and try to get 60 to 80 feet of line out in front of you. Try to aim at a particular target also. It really helps to be able to shoot line on your backcast.

Too often folks just practice the standard casting with the line tight in front of you and making a number of false casts. When in a boat you need to start with the fly in the hand and make quick accurate casts with minimal back casts

Adam Grace
07-22-2007, 04:12 PM
Good Advice Rick!