PDA

View Full Version : Silverfork and my first fly fish

Scott V
07-02-2007, 07:16 AM
Went back up to Silverfork on Sunday to try my luck again. And this time I got lucky and caught some trout, little trout, but trout. I am glad to say I caught my first fish on a fly rod. I even had to switch out to a different fly when this little fish kept looking at my fly but did not hit it. And it hit the ant as soon as I put it in the water.

I think I might be hooked on the fly, it was fun and challenging. I felt like I was hunting, not fishing. the main thing I liked was being in the forest.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/Silverfork.jpg[/img]

JT
07-02-2007, 07:21 AM
I fished the Silver Fork last week and found a lot of small fish near the campground. When I moved further from all the campers, the fish got bigger. Most fish were landed on Elk hair Caddis, X-Caddis, and foam beetles. I did land a couple on a Parachute Midge Emerger, though. I regreted not having any ant patterns. They were everywhere! They ranged in size from about #12-#20. One of the fish I landed had an ant in his mouth. I was definitely kicking myself.

Scott V
07-02-2007, 07:54 AM
I went out about 9 miles then hiked up the trail that said Caples Creek campground. I only went about 1/2 of a mile, I think next time I go I will hike further. I watched 2 other guys fishing and all they were catching were dinkers also.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-02-2007, 08:00 AM
Congratulations Scott,

Dry fly fishing on a small stream is one of the finest things we have here in Nor Cal.

When fish don't like your fly they can sometime swirl or splash right under it. Most of the time I put on something smaller and maybe a different shad. Sometimes I go down to a lighter tippet like 6x.

An old friend of mine, Walt Bennett, use to walk a stream in the afternoon with a big attractor dry fly that would raise up the bigger fish to take a look but usually not eat.

Then later in the evening he would go back already knowing where they were hiding and get them to eat a smaller fly, like a #14 Adams.

Fly fishing is a wonderful thing.

PS: Cool photo.

JT
07-02-2007, 08:04 AM
I found that a #12 foam beetle did the trick. The little fish couldn't eat it, but the bigger ones would sip it as confidently as ever.

dtp916
07-02-2007, 07:18 PM
Right on, Scott!

I told you the ants were on the menu!!! Good job and awesome picture! The Silver fork is a pretty little stream.

David Lee
07-02-2007, 08:12 PM
I got lucky and caught some trout, little trout, but trout. I am glad to say I caught my first fish on a fly rod.

Scott -

#1- You've done the job !! Nothing like getting what you've been dreaming of for a while ..... that is my definition of SWEETNESS !

#2- You will be very suprised at just how many fish you can actually catch WHEN YOU USE ONLY YOUR FLYROD :evil: :evil: :evil:

#3- Get on your walkin' shoes , we're takin' ya out for stream Bass in a week or two .

Very well done =D>

David :)

El Rey
07-03-2007, 09:08 AM
I'm teaching my wife to flyfish, so we went up to the Silver Fork last week. Fished some easy-access water near the the China Flat CG for little planters. She's become so enamoured with her casting that she forgets to actually fish the water. But she did catch one on an EC caddis. I think I've created a monster.

Also, she's been accepted to the Casting for Recovery Clinic for breast cancer survivors. She'll be up at Clearwater Lodge for 3 days in August. She just wanted a head start before the clinic.

PS: some of you know me from another board. I'm finding more useful fishing info here on Bill's site, so I thought I'd better get involved.

Scott V
07-03-2007, 10:07 AM
I got lucky and caught some trout, little trout, but trout. I am glad to say I caught my first fish on a fly rod.

Scott -

#1- You've done the job !! Nothing like getting what you've been dreaming of for a while ..... that is my definition of SWEETNESS !

#2- You will be very suprised at just how many fish you can actually catch WHEN YOU USE ONLY YOUR FLYROD :evil: :evil: :evil:

#3- Get on your walkin' shoes , we're takin' ya out for stream Bass in a week or two .

Very well done =D>

I'm up for any kind of fishing, but of course you know my passion for bass. I am going to fish the Umpqua in Oregon, my wife and I are headed to Winchester Bay for a week and she is letting me go do a full day of guided fishing. :D

Hairstacker
07-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Scott, congratulations! I caught my first stream trout on a fly rod in the Silver Fork as well. Do not pass up a chance to join David for some stream bass! :D

Scott V
07-04-2007, 06:24 AM
Scott, congratulations! I caught my first stream trout on a fly rod in the Silver Fork as well. Do not pass up a chance to join David for some stream bass! :D

Thanks, and I never turn down an opportunity to go fishing with other people.

David Lee
07-04-2007, 07:03 AM
I'm teaching my wife to flyfish, so we went up to the Silver Fork last week. Fished some easy-access water near the the China Flat CG for little planters. She's become so enamoured with her casting that she forgets to actually fish the water. But she did catch one on an EC caddis. I think I've created a monster.

Also, she's been accepted to the Casting for Recovery Clinic for breast cancer survivors. She'll be up at Clearwater Lodge for 3 days in August. She just wanted a head start before the clinic.

PS: some of you know me from another board. I'm finding more useful fishing info here on Bill's site, so I thought I'd better get involved.

E.R. -

Welcome to the board !

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Hi El Rey,

Glad to see you here.

Mik
07-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Ants! I call em fish candy. Red flavors, black flavors, and some with crunchy wings. Never forget to bring them.

Scott V
07-07-2007, 05:43 PM
Ants! I call em fish candy. Red flavors, black flavors, and some with crunchy wings. Never forget to bring them.

They will always be in my vest, I will probably die with ants in my pants. Hopefully they will do just as good tomorrow.

Sturmer White
07-08-2007, 09:55 AM
Scott
Welcome abord.
Remember,when you go with David you will not catch the most fish.
He will put you on them though. If he takes you where I think he will,watch for buzzers and take a lot of water.
Good luck and have fun.