PDA

View Full Version : Oregon in August

Bill Markwood
06-26-2007, 07:46 PM
I will be going on a road trip through Oregon the 2nd week in August. I've got a map of the entire state, but it isn't detailed enough for me with respect to some of the smaller creeks and rivers. I know that DeLorme makes a gazateer for Oregon. Does anyone have any suggestions where I might be able to get some detailed maps of the various counties before I leave on my trip?

Thanks for your help, Bill

jbird
06-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Pick up that delorm topo. I think everyone should have one for their own state and other states they care to explore. Another fabulous resource is google earth.

Jay

Bill Markwood
06-29-2007, 12:38 PM
Jay: thanks for the advice. I just ordered a DeLorme for Oregon.

Bill

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-02-2007, 08:55 AM
Lots of good fly shops in Oregon.

In August you might look for some high elevation lakes. Shallow weedy lakes like Carine Prairie can fish well in mid-summer. Lakes can fish all day long at times.

The Pacific Coast will be wonderful then too.

AM and PM fishing will normally be best on streams then.

Some Steelhead will be in the Lower Deschutes then, AM & PM is good.

Some Steelhead will be in the North Umpqua River too.

You can fish the Williamson River, again AM & PM.

Salmon and halfpounders should be on the Lower Rogue River then.

Bill Markwood
07-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Bill: Thanks for the input. I think you've nailed my problem on the head: too many choices, not enough time. My wife and I drive up the Williamson & Deschutes valleys, make the turn in Portland, then come down the coast. I know we'll have fun wherever we go. The research will be as much fun for me as the trip.

thanks again, Bill Markwood

PS: this is a great board. Friendly informative people who can leave their issues behind.

thedryflyguy
07-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Thw Williamson and Wood should be on fire at that time. Swinging leaches through the deep pools can bring trout that you would swear were steel head to hand.

August will bring steelhead into the Lower Deschutes from Maupin down to the mouth. Beware of the rattlesnakes as they are incredibly prevalent this year. Walk heavy and make noise and they usually move off the path and go on their way.

When you make your way through Portland make sure you stop off at a local brewery or two. We don't win gold medals for our microbrews for no reason.

When you are on your trip back down the Oregon coast on your way home you can hammer sea run cutthroat with dryflies and small wooley buggers. I like to use a 2 or 3 weight as the majority of the fish aren't too large (6" to 12"). Occasionally you'll hook into something around 16". Try the Wilson or Trask River. There are summer steelhead in the rivers but they are extremely skittish with the low and clear water at that time of the year.

Good luck and happy fishing.

JD