PDA

View Full Version : Visit to Smallmouth territory

Richard
06-22-2007, 08:36 PM
I just got back so I will write more later, but let me tell you that a visit to the Big-K Ranch in Oregon is more than worth your time and money =D> =D> =D> The food is exceptional (three meals a day are included in the cost), the cottages are large and comfortable, the fishing and territory is to die for (but it's catch and release only) and the staff are some of the friendliest people I have ever met. :D

Most of the fish you (or at least I :) ) catch are in the twelve inch category so I am glad I brought my four weight. It's a lot more fun than the six weight they recommend. But I did hook one (released VERY early :oops: ) that was a real hog and in THAT case I was very happy I was using the six weight.

I could go on and on, but what I really want to do is go back :D :D

If you do go ask me about the new fly I created called the Oregon - DUCK!!!! (it's green with yellow legs) that was a real success. Don't ask me about some of my other creations which were mostly only good for a laugh. :roll:

David Lee
06-23-2007, 07:03 AM
Glad you had a good trip Richard !

Smallies in lakes around California have a pretty good following ..... but our stream Smallmouth are overlooked , for the most part .

They sure are neat fish !

David :D

Ed Wahl
06-25-2007, 09:12 PM
David and I just got back in from Smallmouth territory ourselves. Had a blow-up that startled me so much I almost fell over. Closely watching the bug, twitch it once, then bam,fishy comes out of the water, cartwheels and flops back in. I pulled back on the rod out of fear, almost soiled myself. The fish never even touched the bug. Haven't laughed that hard in quite some time. Here we are posing with a couple. Ed http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/edfish333/IM001361.jpg http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/edfish333/IM001362.jpg

David Lee
06-25-2007, 09:29 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey , Ed ...... GREAT crop-job !!

Crazy day , no idea as to how many to hand between the two of us . No biggies , 'cept for Ed's 2+ lbr. . My new 8 foot 6 wt. Fenwick is just about perfect for those Smallies !! Small Dahlberg Divers were the flies of choice ......

David :)

Hairstacker
06-26-2007, 12:06 AM
Smallies on Dahlbergs, does it get much better than that? Nice fish, sure wish I was there. :cry: One of these days. . . .

Adam Grace
06-26-2007, 09:46 AM
What a nice fat smallie in that last picture!

Richard
07-04-2007, 04:42 PM
Here's that photo I promised. I caught about 40 of these the first day. June was a little slow this year I was told. :roll: They are now catching upwards of 100 a day :eek:. The really big ones are harder to attract to a fly. There are a lot of big ones, I know I saw them - which was a bit frustrating ](*,) . They are mostly using nymphs and topwater. When I go back next year I am going to tie and take some large streamers with me, I am hoping that may be the key to attracting some of the bigger fish. However, if it is, people who have fished up there for many years don't know about it. :?

http://www.usfca.edu/fac-staff/davisr/smallmouth-web.jpg

Scott V
07-04-2007, 06:48 PM
I'm headed to Oregon mid-August and will be taking a guided drift boat on the Umpqua for smallies. I have been told to expect at least 60+ smallies in a day, but I am hoping for a 5+ pounder.

Ed Wahl
07-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Scott, take along some Dahlberg Divers, brown, and some Umpqua Swimming frogs, get the smallest size you can. Make sure they have weedguards. They have them both at the shop. Smallies here will come up 10 feet for them. I've also been using a killer crawdad pattern, but it's not available in stores. David Lees own pattern, and I would not leave home without it. Ask David about it, might cost you a bottle of scotch(or something). Ed

Richard
07-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Scott,

You will have a great time!! I have a pattern that I developed that really worked well up there, but I suspect it only works within 100 miles of Eugene, Oregon, I call it the Oregon DUCK!!!! :D :D It's so easy to tie that even I can do it. It's a nymph patttern in insect green with yellow rubber legs (hence the Oregon Duck :roll: ) I'll post a picture of it as soon as I get it photographed.

Richard
07-05-2007, 09:18 AM
OK, here it is. Not much really, just a variation on an ugly bug or girdle bug. But the lead eyes make it ride hook up and it is easily visible in deep water which is important when sight fishing on the Umpqua. It may work better with five or six legs, but this four leg was an early version. The green and yellow was much more visible than the usual black and white.

http://www.usfca.edu/fac-staff/davisr/Oregon-DUCK-web.jpg

Scott V
07-05-2007, 12:30 PM
OK, here it is. Not much really, just a variation on an ugly bug or girdle bug. But the lead eyes make it ride hook up and it is easily visible in deep water which is important when sight fishing on the Umpqua. It may work better with five or six legs, but this four leg was an early version. The green and yellow was much more visible than the usual black and white.

http://www.usfca.edu/fac-staff/davisr/Oregon-DUCK-web.jpg

That is a beauty, but seeing as I have yet to start tying, how about I send you a couple bucks and you send me a couple of them flies. :P

David Lee
07-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Scott -

Don't fret over flies , I'll have a mess of 'em for you before you leave .

David