PDA

View Full Version : American Weekend Report

Jeff C.
06-18-2007, 07:12 AM
Went out Friday evening and got 3 at Lower Sunrise. On Saturday I found out the hard way that the flows had doubled. I found myself in fast moving waist deep water with no way back so I had to cross the river to the opposite bank. It's a good thing I didn't go down because I would have gone for a long ride. The increased flows seemed to put the bite off during the day on Saturday. Got skunked for 8 hours of fishing the upper river that day. Sunday morning was slow too, but Bruce from San Diego got 10 in a couple of hours in the afternoon using a Type 6 sink tip. I went out in the evening and got 7 from 8:00 until dark using a floating line using a fly that my friend Heime tied up riverside during the down time mid-day. All were small males but a I saw a couple of hens caught. I'll be out every evening to dark until it's over. Jeff C.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-18-2007, 08:15 AM
Some years back we use to hit it almost every evening but now I'll be lucky if I get out there a few times.

__________________________________________________ ________

One night we were near the 18th hole at Ancil Hoffman Park and we found a snag in the middle of a shallow run. We hooked some really hot big female Shad there behind the snag that ran downstream "greyhounding" like hot wild Steelhead.

Every so often you will hook a really hot large female Shad, but not too many.

Frank Alessio
06-19-2007, 07:27 AM
Why the drastic change in flows for the A this time of the year.... Please do not tell me that someone forgot to FLUSH the Delta???????

Darian
06-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Frank,.... I believe that the increases are due to the decision to resume pumping water into the canal system at Tracy. It was announced by DWR in mid or late last week.... Gotta make those water deliveries to Agri-business and new residential developments.... (even if they're empty)

Frank Alessio
06-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Thanks Darian.... You are one smart man.... Frank

BigBuddha
06-20-2007, 09:06 PM
Did the high water affect the bite? Went out to Sailor this morning, but didn't get a hit. Didn't see any shad in the water and didn't see any surface action.

Charlie Gonzales
06-20-2007, 10:02 PM
I dont think it affected the bite too much, but it did move them around some.
Launched at Sailor tonight and went up stream, floated around for about 45 minutes but couldnt spot any shad. Motored down to CPA and found lots of fish. Landed 13, one was the biggest hen I have ever caught. I thought (and so did the bank anglers) that I had a striper on. She went around 16- 17"(from the base of the fork of her tail, laying on my forearm, she extended an easy 2" beyond my finger tips) and I honestly think she was over 5#'s.I really thought she was going to break my 5wt.
I dont think I will be using that rod any more this season.

A Matthews
06-21-2007, 06:44 PM
What's CPA? I tried my luck the other night at Sailor's Bar. Beautiful sunset but not a single bite to speak of. All the guys lined up on the up-river stretch of the bank left early since the bite never turned on. I stayed til the end. So much for persistence. :roll: But I'll be back out tomorrow somewhere. Hopefully, my luck will change.

Tight lines!

Charlie Gonzales
06-22-2007, 08:38 AM
CPA is where the drift boats lauch off the gravel bar above the island at upper Sunrise. I dont hear any body call it that any more. From the north side of the river you can access the area off Park Ave, but there is only one spot to fly cast and that would be just above the main seam there. If you come in from the south side(CPA), go up stream from the spin casters and fish across and up from the main seam that comes off the north bank. The shad tend to hold tight to the south bank in that tail out. You have to be just above the tree line for a good back cast. There have also been fish holding just below the boat lauch at sailor tight to the north bank. Set up on the west side of the cove there just as it enters the river. Hope this helps, it sounds a bit confusing.

Finsane
06-24-2007, 06:41 AM
Pretty sure that CPA is the bike bridge below the Sunrise Ave. bridge. Its called the CPA Bridge.

A Matthews
06-24-2007, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll have to check out CPA along with some other access points I've been learning about as of late.

Niceguy
06-24-2007, 12:00 PM
Matthews
For a buck you can get a map of most access points from the rangers or attendants at the entrances. A great help to me when I first started fishing the A. I come from the bay area so I don't have alot of time to find these spots. Good luck, its a great place to fish
Ralph

steeliejim
06-24-2007, 01:00 PM
Pretty sure that CPA is the bike bridge below the Sunrise Ave. bridge. Its called the CPA Bridge.

Actually, it was called the PCA Haul Bridge (Pacific Coast Aggregates) and that's what a lot oldtimers still call it. It used to take dredger tailing cobble from the Sacramento Bar area across the bridge to the rock crusher on the south side at what is now Upper Sunrise. The bridge was renamed "Jim's Bridge" by the Bd of Sups in 1985. A plaque on a boulder at north end of the bridge gives a bit of the background.

Jim

Finsane
06-24-2007, 05:53 PM
you"re absolutely right. I still get a little confused. PCA :roll: