PDA

View Full Version : Delta Report 6/15

SullyTM
06-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Had a free morning before heading to Galt and I hit the water at 5:30AM :nod: The conditions felt perfect...About 70+ degrees and no wind. The water was flat and the tide in. The inflatable kayak was ready to go. Put in at Hairstacker Slough :D and had the water to myself...I worked the surface for about 45 minutes and then BAM! a massive grab :shock: My Delta inexperience caused me to loose the fish...

I covered a lot of water until 7AM and then settled in with the current and drifted...The action slowed considerably...2 teasing takes but nothing stayed on. I went sub-surface and got no takers so I went back to my Red/White Tap's Bug...nothing! By 8 AM the breeze started and I was was off the water by 9AM as the flat water became very choppy and I'm not confident on the Delta by myself...What started out a great morning ended with the Delta claiming victory and me going to Galt early than I wanted to.

Thanks to Captain Jerry and Hairstacker for the tips.

Later...

Thom

JerryInLodi
06-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Sully, don't be so sure that it was your fault in loosing your prize. Many of the fish I hook are nailed very close to the edge of the mouth and only a thin membrane keeps them hooked.

The one thing I can advise is don't PLAY the fish, crank it in. Bass seem able to slip their bindings better than any fish I know with perhaps the exception of a tarpon.

But anyway, hey, you got the BIG GRAB and it sounds like you had him stuck for a while. Congratulations, it sounds like I'm hearing, "Rematch!"

Hairstacker
06-16-2007, 08:01 AM
HeyThom! Glad to hear you made it out there! Sounds like it was a pretty slow morning, unfortunately. I like the sounds of "massive grab" though. :D

Jerry nailed it. Do everything exactly right and you're still going to miss some on the grab, no matter how vicious, and some are going to get unbuttoned on the way in, especially if they manage to work themselves some slack line. Just the nature of the game. It raises the excitement level, though, when you never know how it's going to end. :D

SullyTM
06-16-2007, 10:20 AM
Jerry/Mike...Thanks for the support :lol: Yeah, I'll miss more than I land...nature of the beast. But it sure was exciting. I used Mike's retrieve style...after about 10 strips I was getting ready to cast again when the Tap's was taken! I was fishing those tullies Mike by the rock wall :wink:

The Delta can change on you in a hurry...From flat water to choppy in a span of a few hours! If I was in a boat it might have been different...

Happy Father's Day!

Thom