PDA

View Full Version : A Big Fall River Rainbow

Adam Grace
06-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Yesterday I fished the Fall River with my Sac River guide friends Hogan Brown and Tim. We got a late start, so I cannot give you info about a morning hatch if there was any. We arrived about 11am with a few #18 PMD's emerging. I caught one on a PT dropper under a Quigley PMD hackle stacker, both Hogan and Tim unfortunately missed some grabs using the same Quigley fly. Those drifts down to those picky fish can be very difficult to setup up on the fish. The emergence of the PMD's ended briefly after we launched Hogan's boat and made a few casts to the small amount of rising fish. The rest of the day was bug-less. I was disappointed in the lack of insect activity on top of the water.

We had to try different techniques to scare up some fish. Fishing nymphs under an indicator provided Hogan and Tim with a few grabs and a couple of fish on.

I used my limited experience on Fall River to bring a very fast sinking line to fish the deeper holes. On my first cast I hooked a large trout on my olive crystal bugger. This trout whacked the fly and put one hell of a bend in my Sage XP 6wt rod. After a series of concerning head shakes Hogan netted this beast:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/IMGP2403.jpg
This big Fall River Rainbow taped out at 23"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/IMGP2404.jpg
Say Cheese! :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/IMGP2408.jpg
Without Hogan Brown this fish would not have been possible.

My suggestions if you plan on fishing the Fall River is to bring with you fast sinking lines or sink tips and streamers. My most productive has been the olive crystal bugger.

We left about 7:30 due to the need to get back home, we didn't see any hatch starting in the Evening yet it could have come off a little late. The lack of hatches made this trip different from other trips to this beautiful river. Be prepared to try out different techniques in order to temp these fish when there is a lack of hatching insects.

The weather was warm but not unbearable, but bring water to stay hydrated.

dtp916
06-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Ah sweet! Nice fish Adam! Looks like that guy may have made the day. 8)

Hairstacker
06-14-2007, 12:54 PM
Congratulations on a great fish Adam! Sounds like you had a blast fighting that one. 8) 8) 8)

MSP
06-14-2007, 04:39 PM
You sure you didn't get it on a crankbait? :lol: Nice fish buddy!

SuperFlyGuy
06-14-2007, 07:13 PM
gorgeous fish! Im jealous!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Charlie Gonzales
06-14-2007, 07:35 PM
Forget coming down here, I'm coming up there! Nice fish.

SullyTM
06-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Some guys have all the luck! :D Shouldn't you be in summer school Adam?

Later...

Thom

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-14-2007, 08:16 PM
Wow....that's a trophy Rainbow anywhere Adam.

It would be a nice Steelhead on the Klamath or Trinity Rivers too.

I wish everyone could get up on the Fall River in a boat to see how unusual it is. I would go with a guide for sure.

Paul B.
06-14-2007, 10:53 PM
That's one to be proud of Adam. Nice!!!!!!!!!!

Digger
06-15-2007, 01:42 PM
Dang, no fair. some guys have all the ____ :lol:

(do you ever guide? ) #-o

Adam Grace
06-15-2007, 08:57 PM
Nope, never guided before, thought about it once but that thought didn't last long. Guides work way too hard for my taste. They get up real early and get back home way late, the fish catching expectations placed upon guides is too much pressure for me. I like fishing with friends, not stranger who may be annoying, unskilled, or worse jerks. I could see myself getting so used to being out on the water that my excitement for my own fishing trips would lessen.

Thanks for the compliment.