PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Smallies

Ben-doc
06-11-2007, 08:45 AM
I spent the better part of the weekend targeting smallmouth in Cache Creek, mostly along highways 16 or 20. (Saturday) and the North Fork American below Lake Clementine (Sunday). I had been on Cache several times before, but found a few new spots this time. The fishing was slow, but I did manage several mid-size SMB. Ran into some shady characters up there--Wished I wasn't fishing alone. If you go up there, I recommend taking someone with you, especially if you're exploring and not too familiar with some of the spots.

I had never been to the north fork. Imagine my surprise when I saw hundreds of people spread out along the whole section enjoying their Sunday afternoon. Couple that with one of the steepest clambers down to the river you could imagine almost the whole way, and I didn't have very much luck.

So I'm finally on the water, away from swimmers, and I spot a couple of SMB holding under a log. I hadn't assembled my rod yet--had my reel in my vest pocket. Or so I thought. Turns out I only grabbed the spool--my reel was on my other spool, back in the truck. ](*,) Half hour later, and many muttered frustrations, I'm back. Caught 6 almost identical bass in less than an hour without having to move from my spot. Although I got a few, I wouldn't recommend this section on a weekend--just too many people everywhere. Does anyone know if there is decent fishing/access in that lower stretch of the Middle Fork? I was planning on exploring but was too tired by the end of the day.

David Lee
06-11-2007, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the report Ben .

Ed and I spent the better part of two days on a stream that shall remain unnamed ..... we did pretty good :evil: .

Nothing in freshwater can outfight/outjump Smallmouth - we had 12-inchers springing three feet into the air , over and over and over .... Ed hooked a shrimpy 11 incher (on his 8 wt. , BTW) that nearly tore him out of his sandals - We thought that fish was gonna pop a 1X tippet :eek: !!!!

Have you chased them over on Putah yet (by the dam) ???? I heard the Russian was going great guns , also .

David :)

Ed Wahl
06-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Ben, it sounds like you went in at the Confluence? That's the most popular swimming hole in this part of the state. The North Fork upstream at the Iowa Hill bridge is pretty good, although still a popular swimming spot. At least up there access is easier and you can out walk most of the swimmers for some water to yourself. Matter of fact, I think I'll head up there this afternoon and check it out. Ed

Ben-doc
06-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Sounds like you guys had a good time too. I haven't fished for smallmouth on Putah yet. The few times I've checked out the river below the dam, it's too hard to figure out where the private property is, so I've just pretty much stayed away. Would love to explore there more though, since it's just about as close and convenient as it gets!

Ed, thanks for the advice on moving farther upstream. Be sure to share what it was like today! Lesson learned on the popularity of the confluence for swimming. I think I did outwalk all the swimmers, but I also outwalked all the fast water and all the <45 degree banks -- actually almost made it to the dam before I turned around!

Ed Wahl
06-11-2007, 10:21 PM
It was a bit slow upstream, water temps a bit cooler than what I normally find, course I normally fish it starting in July. Didn't spot any dinks in their normal spots, but finally found a bunch of nice sized bass in a 15 foot deep pool. They were hanging out under the ledge I was on all the way on the bottom. 15 feet down and they still spotted me when I peeked over the edge. Very, very, clear water. Only managed one fish, on a stone fly nymph creeped across the bottom using a very fast sinking line. Odd feeling, pulling a fish up that distance in ultra clear water, looked like he was fighting while suspended in mid air. Still had the red eyes. Every year when I make my first trip up there I'm awestruck all over again at what a beautiful canyon that is. Perfect evening too, warm but not hot, clear, a little breeze, sure wished I was camping there tonight. Ed

JT
06-12-2007, 12:31 PM
I'm not sure if you're talking about Monticello Dam or the Diversion Dam on Putah. I fish Putah at least once a week and see nice bass near the upper dam often. I've only tried for them a few times, though. I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to bass. I've been lucky a few times but not on Putah. I usually target the monster rainbows in this area.