PDA

View Full Version : Las Arenas/La Pazzzzzzzzz.....

Darian
06-10-2007, 12:32 PM
Wow!!! What an eventful trip. :) :) Not a large volume of fish like Dorado or Skippies caught, like last year, but the number and quality of large fish caught was absolutely amazing. :nod: :nod: There were Marlin/Sails all around us every day. Many within 20' of the boat with a couple of 'em near to 5' from the transom just breezing thru. 8) 8) My fishin' partner and I are preparing to barbeque some filet's from her 45 - 50# Wahoo, tonight. :D :D :D But that's another story....

In addition to the two VERY LARGE WAHOOOOOOOO my partner caught, she landed a 20# Red Snapper, a couple of triggers (1 in the 12 - 15 # class), a couple of skippies, a mix of large/small Jack's and a couple of small Roosters. Note that I didn't mention Needlefish. We both caught so many of them it became boring and destructive to our tackle. 8) 8) My partner was bait fishing most of the time but when the opportunity came along, she jumped up in the bow of the Panga and cast a fly to catch Jack's and Roosterzzzzzz.... :) :) The Wahoo were caught while bait fishing, using a med-heavy, TFO spin rod (rated for 25# line), a Quick Finessa light salt water spin reel (line capacity of 150 yards of 30# line). Both these fish were caught without benefit of a wire bite leader. I'm constantly amazed that this slim, trim lady can handle herself so well with rod/reel. :) :) :) I do notice that she's all business when it comes to landing her catches. On one occasion, after the 6th time around the Panga, I found myself in her way. She said, in an autoritative voice, "get outa my way" :shock: :shock: :shock: I did as instructed. :o :o

OK, now for some funny stuff.... When the weather was calm, Brown Pelicans patrolled near the maximum distance from the Panga to see if they could catch and errantly thrown Sardina. On 3 occasions, different pelicans charged my fly and was succesfully (legally) hooked inside the bill, played, landed and resleased by yours truly. :D :D While releasing the last bird, it decided that it wasn't ready to be released and deliberately tangled it's wing in my leader/line connection requiring some discussion to effect a succesfull release..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Incidentally, Pelicans appear to like the White Knight, Sea Habit fly best of all. :p :p

The target of my efforts was primarily Marlin/Roosters/Sails.... 8) 8) Didn't do well with the Roosters but had several, legitimate shots at Marlin/Sails. The estimated 200# Marlin referred to by Jay in another Topic area struck my 9" pink/purple fly but, apparently, missed the hook.... :x :x :x (no trailer hook tied into the fly). That's gonna change. 8) 8) At any rate, When the hook-up didn't materialize, the panga captain marched to the bait tank and uttered something unintelligible to me. :? :? I told him, I sure hoped he was saying, Damn you Calhoun.... :lol: :lol: :lol: There were at least 3 Marlin and a couple of Sails all lit up and running around the boat taking chummed Sardina's. What a sight from the bow.

The other teams of fisherman there targeted different species and all made catches of good numbers/types/quality of fish. There were the usual ladyfish, etc. 8) 8) I caught as couple of Coronetfish. :roll: :roll:

If you're planning on going down there, take plenty of wire for shorty leaders (Wahoo are really toothy critters).... I have a comment to make on Frog Hair running line. I've used Frog hair in this climate without problem. However, It seems that Frog Hair softens during the day and after strip-striking a hard puller, the line retains the kink. Even stretching will not remove that set.... So, I'll be using something else (Amnesia) in the future. Got a bunch of blisters/bruises from landing Good sized Jacks/banging around in the Panga on rough days.

A great time was had by all and, as usual, I learned something from Jay and the Panga captain. This time about how to chum for attracting large, pelagic fish species. As always, Jay is a great host. :D :D

Well, time to start getting ready for the trip to Mulege, now. I'll post a link to a photo of the Wahoo after I take a nap and catch up on some chores. :D :D :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Sounds like this is one of the best values in Baja.

I might go next summer myself with Jay.

Jay Murakoshi
06-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Hey Bill,

The boat and captain will be waiting for you. I would enjoy having you down here and getting the Las Arenas experience. We might have 4 more good years before development takes over and the crowds start looking like Cabo

Hope to have some good reports from Jim & Guy.

Jay

Darian
06-10-2007, 02:27 PM
OK Guys,.... Here's a pic of my fishin' partner, the Panga Captain (Efrain Lucero) and THE Wahoo:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o31/jockscot/DSCN0154.jpg

Remember, this is the second Wahoo she caught in that week. Go ahead, eat your hearts out.... :P :P :P

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Wahooooooooooo.......I bet that was a wild battle?

sculpin
06-10-2007, 05:19 PM
It sounds like you had a great trip Darian. Nice Wahoo. I'm afraid you are going to fall in with bad company on the trip to Mulege :D . At least, compared to your companion on the La Paz trip. See ya soon.

Mark

Tony Buzolich
06-10-2007, 07:00 PM
Renee,( I hope you're reading this too)

That had to be the ultimate fish on a light rod. Hope Darian didn't get in your way too much. I remember last year he spent a lot of time untying knots and stareing at the deck of the panga while you knocked the skippies for a loop as well.

Darian, that BBQ'd Ono would go well with some of that Lilikoi jam and lime juice :D Yummmmmmmm !

TONY

Darian
06-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Hey Tony,.... Renee decided to grill some of the Ono tonight. We used a rub and grilled it with some Asparagus. The rest of the meal was rice and sourdough garlic bread with premium, cold Sake..... MMMM, MMMM. 8) 8) Good idea about the Liliko'i Butter.... Thanks. :D :D :D

As I was making this post, I recalled a funny incident from this trip. We were trying to concentrate our efforts on the Wahoo and billfish in th early AM. Needlefish were everywhere and occaisonally would go airborne at high speed just above the waters surface and could maintain this speed for about 20 yards at a time. When one of the Needles popped up and began skimming at the boat, Renee yelled, "watch out".... Efrain jumped out of the line of flight (I'd never seen our normally implacable panga captain move this fast before) and I was dumbfounded in the bow. The Needle slammed headlong into the gunwale.... Kinda sounded like someone hit the boat with a bat. :lol: :lol: :lol: After we all aquit laughing, it was back to work. :D :D :D

Mark,.... Sounds like we're in for a great trip. :D :D :D

JerryInLodi
06-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Hey Darian, I just got in from guiding in a near gale (Beaufort Scale) on the delta. Fishing in 32 mph winds was tough but we did stick some fish.

Your posts and the posts that followed made my day a little brighter. I don't know if Mark private e-mailed you but dorado, sails and WAHOO have been caught in Mulege. No one has ever heard of wahoo that far north. You may get more shots at both sails and wahoo as well as dorado.

As for pictures, I hope you took a picture of that huge trigger. They are SO strong I can't imagine landing one that big on my eight weight! Geez, if Renee can cook maybe we shouldl have included her in the plans. I don't think we're going to eat as well as you did tonight!

Ten days to go and counting!

JerryInLodi
06-11-2007, 10:29 AM
Carl, we're leaving on Thursday, June 21st at about 3-5pm so we can get through LA and Tijuana at the low traffic periods. We may stop at Rosarita Beach and take a couple of hours shut eye in the van before traveling on to Ensenada and points south, depending on how our progress is.

If anyone wants to join us using my friend Victor as a guide, they can catch a flight down to Loreto, rent a car and drive north to Mulege. Cliff has B&B rooms for $300 per week and Victor should be available at $180 per day plus tips.

Here's a quickie budget.

Car rental app. $120 each for two
Week's room, $150 each for two
Six day's fishing, $540 each for two

Don't forget, you'll need a fishing license. I'm not sure if they are available in Mulege.

Add food, flight, and tips. Oh yeah, don't forget to add the cost of the grande margaritas.

We'll be in Mulege from June 22nd through July 8th.

PaulC
06-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Nice report Darian.
Thats one hellavu Ono! Definitely a line burning fish.
Sounds like you had a great time. Hope that good karma carries over to your guys' upcoming trip.
-Paul

Darian
06-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Hey guys,.... We met a man (Bernie) from Orange County on the return flight from La Paz. He gave me a recipe for grilling Ono (Wahoo) that's similar to making poppers on the BBQ:

- Several (2 or more per person) Ortega Chili peppers, canned, or fresh Anaheim peppers.
- Sliced Ono (length/width of peppers).
- Sliced Bacon
- Toothpicks

Soak the toothpicks in water.

Prepare the peppers. If using canned peppers, drain/dry and clean out the seeds unless you want some HEAT. :shock: :shock: If using fresh peppers, rinse, dry and cut of the stem ends. Split the peppers about half way down one side and remove the seeds if desired. 8)

Stuff the peppers with a slice of Ono, wrap each one with a slice of bacon and secure with a wet toothpick.

Place on a hot grill, cover and cook over high heat until the bacon is done and the peppers are showing charred grill marks. 8) 8)

Serve with salad and cerveza or the beverage of your choice. MMM, MMM :D :D :D

k.hanley
06-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Wow..hoooooooooo! Terrific catch. Two of 'em? Like the kids would say that's "No fair!" :D
Cheers, Ken