PDA

View Full Version : Video clip of archery fishing in the Illinois River.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-05-2007, 08:29 AM
http://www.illinoiswaters.net/heartland/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17718

Not catch-n-release.................even dangerous?

"The silver and bighead carp are alien invaders that are cousins, but only one of these Asian carp jump. The silver carp are the airborne missiles of the Illinois River and are originally from Asia. They were brought over here with the thought of controlling the pollution and debris that are in the farm ponds that raise catfish. They are used as filter feeders. They use their gill rakers to filter food from the water which moves through there gills and catch plankton and not other fish. Mother Nature decided to change the location of these fish and freed them from there ponds in Arkansas using the flood of 93. The Mississippi River overflowed her banks and released the couple hundred fish that now some 14 years later grew in the 100 millions.

Now the reason Asian Silver Carp jump isn’t so complicated. Two years ago in the summer of 05 on the Illinois River, Chris Brackett was doing some Bowfishing for some big heads by the dam above Pekin IL. Brackett drove around looking for some bigheads to shoot and these little silver fish kept jumping behind the boat and the simple reason that they are scared of the boat and motor. Chris loving to shoot anything that moves had told all the guys there that he would shoot one out of the air. The boat erupted with laughter, 12 shots later history was made and a new sport was created.

EXTREME AERIAL BOWFISHING"

JT
06-05-2007, 08:42 AM
That was nuts! I think I'd be the guy with the catcher's mask.

dtp916
06-05-2007, 09:01 AM
That is so cool!!!! I would be down for some crazy bow and arrow fishing for those carp 8)

bigtj
06-05-2007, 11:02 AM
All I can say is thank GOD I don't live in Illinois. Check out a hunter/boating safety course some time. The very first thing they teach ....never, ever shoot out of a moving boat. In fact, with guns anyway, I never even have a round in the chamber unless the boat is stopped; I think knocking an arrow should follow the same rule. Especially when there is another boat moving right next to you. It's only a matter of time before someone gets skewered doing this.

David Lee
06-05-2007, 03:51 PM
There's the definition of DUMB-ASSES .

One good bump , somebody gets stuck .

David [-X

sculpin
06-05-2007, 05:35 PM
That is hilarious. I could see the local Boyz here getting into this, if the carp were in our river. Safety definatly isn't an issue with these guys.

Mark

Katz
06-05-2007, 08:03 PM
That was insane!

Katz

PaulC
06-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Just a matter of time till someone gets a glow stick equipped arrow to the head.
Ya think they're actually eating all the fish they're shooting?

Loren E
06-05-2007, 09:06 PM
can you believe....1000 dollars a day!

Michael Baker
06-06-2007, 11:57 AM
I was watching an Archery show just now while eating lunch. Guess what they were doing? This is crazy! The lady on the show had bruises from getting hit with jumping fish. Lokks like liquid extreme jack-o-lighting to me.

Mike

Rob
06-07-2007, 12:13 PM
I can sure could think of more dangerous things to do !!
Motocross racing , Racing cars , Horse back riding , crossing Watt ave on foot :shock: during rush hour . :roll: Living where we use to live , a bad area in SAC ! :twisted: :roll: Those nasty carp are taking over a lot of rivers in the US. The more of them killed the better. :D Might make good fertilizer , but I sure would not want to eat one. :?