PDA

View Full Version : Delta 6-03-07

Hairstacker
06-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Our very own Thom (AKA SullyTM) and I fished the Delta this morning out of our inflatable kayaks. Although the weather was nice and the wind cooperated, I'm sorry to say the fishing was pretty slow. It was also technically difficult for someone not familiar with the area, as the water level was unusually high for the most part, so all the weedbeds were fully submerged and it was very difficult to locate the weedlines or where the flats dropped off.

Nevertheless, I had fun showing Thom around, although I didn't really have a chance to map it all out for him, as we spent most of our time fishing around. Hopefully, on future trips, I can get him wired in on this location. :D

Anyway, we both got blowups but had a tough time getting hooked up or keeping them on. Not a good picture but here's one I got on a black and yellow Dahlberg Diver:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/6-03-07Delta1.jpg

Thom and I spent much of our time fishing out of sight of one another so I unfortunately did not get a picture of him holding a fish. :( Nevertheless, it was a special treat for me to have him come all the way down for some topwater bass fishing on my home water -- thanks Thom!!

Thom had to leave around noontime but I continued fishing topwater for a few more hours. Although the bite never really turned on, the fishing did improve a little around 1:30 with the outgoing tide. Along with several dinks, I ended up catching a couple of good ones like this one I taped at 17":

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/6-03-07Delta2.jpg

Nice strong fish, put a good bend in the 7wt. :D (Don't know why my camera put a red line on his back, I assure you he was completely normal. :? ) I had a 3rd one like this on but broke him off. Although I was pulling pretty hard, I was surprised I had broken him off until I examined my tippet and noted it was abraded. Ah well. Also missed some more strikes but that happens some days.

All in all, it was a fun day!

Katz
06-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Great report. I would guess you boat is red and it's reflection. Only reason I know is that I have a nice pic of a "yellow" LMB next to my very yellow ski boat :)

Katz

Ed Wahl
06-03-2007, 09:23 PM
Mike, my wife wants to know if that's a man's 17 inches or a woman's 17 inches. :wink: Ed

jbird
06-03-2007, 09:45 PM
Those are wonderful fish Mike! You really know how to find those bucketmouths!

Jay

Hairstacker
06-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Ed, I'm not sure what you mean but I did measure it pretty carefully with a tape measure. If you think it looks small, all I can say is pictures are often deceiving. You know how a fish looks bigger when it's held out in front of someone? Well, just the opposite effect happens when you hold it out like I did. The arm looks magnified, which makes the fish look smaller. But check out the size of my hand in the picture for a better perspective. . . :wink:

Unless you're talking about the 1st photo? That fish, which I didn't measure, was around 12 -13 inches, nothing special.

The other thing that often makes a fish look smaller is when it's held in the water. Check out these two photos and tell me which fish is bigger:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/bass15-14-05.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/bass1b5-14-05.jpg

They are actually two photos of the same fish which, coincidentally, also taped at 17" Ah well, what can you do? :)

Ed Wahl
06-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Mike, those are some bad-assed fish. Just a little humor there. Every time I tell my wife how big the fish was she asks me that question. I'm not sure what it means either. :lol: :lol: Ed

Hairstacker
06-03-2007, 10:39 PM
Ed, at least your wife asked a question. I think my wife is careful not to ask ANY questions because it might (gasp!) prolong my monologue about the fishing. :lol: :lol:

Ed Wahl
06-03-2007, 11:00 PM
Your wife doesn't roll her eyes does she? :rolleyes: ed

Hairstacker
06-03-2007, 11:07 PM
no -- no rolling, just a little light glazing despite it being a very short, succinct, one-sided conversation. :lol:

Charlie Gonzales
06-04-2007, 10:56 AM
Mike
What part of the Delte were you guys on. We tried to launch at Korths and the white caps were unbelievable. Came back by the Moke and more of the same. Ended up on the A for not much luck.

SullyTM
06-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Nice report Mike! Glad you put more time on the H20! Patience is a virtue :D

For me it was more of a learning experience. Mike filled me in on some of the tendencies and then he let me be...I could have followed him around the Delta like a puppy, but I'd rather figure things out and ask questions every now and then...He's a very good instructor, something this first-timer appreciated.

It was a gorgeous day! The wind was blowing by the freeway, but once we got to the spot there was very little wind...There were a few other on the water anglers...we were the only fly guys! It was interesting to see and feel the tide go in and out. If I had to guess, the water temp had to be in the 60s?? I used an 8wt. rig, Sage Launch and Ross reel. It tossed the deer hair flies real well. Mike, I'll be stopping at Wally World for that Delta map. Saw more bugs on Sunday then I did on the Little Truckee on Friday :cry: Kind of wish some of them pesky critters would head to the Sierra.

All in all a good day on the water with Mike and the inflatables :D

I'll try and get my photos exported later...

Hairstacker
06-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Charlie, we were in the South Delta below Mildreds. The wind still chased me off in the afternoon though.