PDA

View Full Version : Upper American Report

Jeff C.
06-01-2007, 06:47 AM
Went out after work yesterday at Lower Sunrise and there were a lot of spin guys fishing for shad but not many caught. I ran into a retire gentleman named Paul who caught 4 or 5 to my 1. Nice to meet you Paul. You have to be in the right spot at the right time. Paul was getting 'em pretty good and I was only 20 ft. above him. After he left I moved down and they were gone. I left at 7 pm and talked to the spin guys fishing from the walking bridge. They say only 2 had been caught. It's still hit or miss. You know people are jonesing for shad because people you see a lot over the years start showing up. Rudy from SF was fishing the bottom and Brian, who fishes the area regularly showed up with his wife and dogs. Hopefully, we'll all be geeting into them soon. Will post a weekend report on Monday. Jeff C.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-01-2007, 07:54 AM
Years ago there were so many Shad in the river that you could line up 50 people at Upper Goethe Park and they would all be hooking fish.

Today the schools are much smaller so you have to actually fish harder for them.

Being in the right place is critical now.

Usually the retired locals are out on the weekday mornings.

The local working class go out on weeknights.

Then the out of town bunch can have them on the weekends.

mike-n
06-01-2007, 03:26 PM
I got into a good school just at sundown last night. There were three guys at the spot when I got there, they hadn't been doing too well. They left and it was still slow. At about 8:30 it picked up and I was hooking up or getting a bump on just about every other cast. I was back at the car by 9:10.

MN

Charlie Gonzales
06-01-2007, 03:37 PM
Picked up a couple more at Howe this morning. Used a 5 wt for the hell of it today, fish didnt seem to pull any harder; but I was in the boat. Saw a large school below the golf course at the drain hole.