PDA

View Full Version : In need of Delta bass fishing info

Adam Grace
05-31-2007, 07:10 PM
There are a bunch of helpful and informative Delta fishermen on this board, my questions are for you guys.

I live kinda far from the delta, and gas prices are high so I will not be making many trips to fish the Delta this summer. I am looking for some detailed information about where to launch and which coves or arms or where-ever to fish for bass, preferably topwater.

If you feel compelled to reply to this message, if not please PM me with some info.

I would also be very interested in fishing the Delta with board members, please feel free to PM me if you would like some company out on the Delta.

For about 6 years I have wanted to fish the weed mats during the summer, yet I have not experienced that fishing yet

Charlie Gonzales
05-31-2007, 07:51 PM
Get down here tonight and we can fish it tomorrow!

Hairstacker
05-31-2007, 08:26 PM
Adam, do you know yet what day or time frame you're planning on? What will you be fishing out of -- in other words, do you require an easy launch, such as a concrete launch ramp, or are you able to portage down and launch off of a rock levee wall? Just trying to narrow the possibilities. :D

Adam Grace
05-31-2007, 08:44 PM
Mike, I was thinking about a concrete launch for a friends boat. As for the time, pretty much anytime that I have available. I want some great top water action and I want to fish when that is happening. I love fishing to bass holding cover, and there's a bunch in the Delta. I also prefer the more intimate back waters away from all the boat traffic. I would be up to using a float tube in a backwater area if need be.

mikenewman
06-02-2007, 09:16 AM
Adam
I just looked up Chico on the map - boy you really are a long way from the Delta : deep commiserations :(
I'll gladly send you info on the areas I fish but I am way down in the South and the fact is you'd be driving past a load of good fishing to get here.
As a strategy I would scope out the launch ramps via a link like this:
http://www.boatharborslocator.com/sac_delta_sacramento_delta.htm
and then use a good map and Google earth to check the sloughs for tullies (islands and rip rap) Take a look at Sycamore for instance.
Then I'd aim to prospect your chosen area thoroughly - get to know how it responds to tides and currents. Get out there and be fishing 30 mins before sun up. (Yes, the Delta is an all day fishery but that dawn bite can be awesome and will do wonders for your confidence when prospecting)
Here's a link for tides:
http://www.deltaquestsportfishing.com/delta_quest_sport_fishing_links.htm
Finally, I would recommend that you and your friend call in some early Christmas pressies and book a trip with KD. But then you knew I'd say that didn't you :nod:

Good luck
Mike

Adam Grace
06-06-2007, 07:50 AM
Thanks guys I appreciate the info, hopefully I can convince one of my friends with a boat t get out onto the delta so that we can rip some delta bass lips.

Declan
06-06-2007, 08:34 AM
Adam,

I just got a boat and I launch from the Sugar Barge, I could always use some company as I learn about the Delta. Let me know if you would like to join me some time to share some knowledge (I don’t have much to share, but I have the boat!). I have had some moderate luck the past few weeks; there is plenty of good water right near the Sugar Barge to explore.

Richard
06-06-2007, 08:59 PM
If you are going to drive that far bring a friend and book a full day trip with KD, (Captain Kevin Doran to his friends) :D That is by far the best way to begin to get an idea how to approach Delta largemouth with a topwater bug. That's how I got started on this water and it's the best way to have a chance to really enjoy the day and not resent the drive down from Chico.

Adam Grace
06-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Richard, I am a student.....I have no money to hire a guide. Although he did offer to show me around the delta last time I saw him at this seasons Kiene's Expo. I should call him, thanks for the idea.

Richard
06-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Adam, I'm a retired professor, I don't have any money either. :lol: If you can't get Kevin to show you around I'm sure there are a few of us, including myself who would be willing to try and help. Just let us know when you might be coming down. I'm usually free on Tuesdays except for the 19th when I'm going fishing for smallmouth on the South Umqua in Oregon. \:D/

Adam Grace
06-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Thanks Richard! I'll let you guys know when I can make it out there.

Thanks to everyone else who have offered info.