PDA

View Full Version : Could´ve, Would´ve, Should´ve

Jay Murakoshi
05-29-2007, 04:02 PM
Today found the waters at Las Arenas flat like a lake and still some hot weather. Also had some heavy looking rain clouds in the sky. I found out that it did rain on the guys who north on the island.
The skippies were pulllng, tugging and testing knots. They seem to be getting bigger each day. The boat I was in stayed on them for a while until the guys got tired. I think they pulled in 7 each between 10 and 16lbs. Too dang much work for me. But I did catch one for a challenge.
I have/had a 12/14wt rod that a friend of mine made for me. It was suppose to be used for wahoo today if we saw any or marlin tomorrow morning when I go out by myself. My challenge was to catch a skippie within the 14lb to 16lb range and land it within two minutes. The first skippie I hooked grabbed the fly and was off and running. Cranking down on the drag, that´s when the fight began. Too make a long story short, the first - a 16lbér was landed in 1 minute 32 seconds.
Then we had a huge school of jacks swimming below the boat and eating everything in site. the guys land a couple and one had leader, knot and line problems. I made one cast and tried to replay the skippie fight.
I was getting pretty close but then the fight became a tug of war. After 4 minutes I had the fish coming to the boat and then POW the rod exploded.
Hand line and the fish was too the boat. Around 33lbs. My error, first rod I have broken in 35 years.
Other fish caught were ladys, small roosters, my guy lost one rooster around 25 and another around 40lbs, inexperience, nervous and shaking

The next three days could be barn burners.

Jay

Darian
05-29-2007, 09:08 PM
You broke a 12/14 weight rod :?: :shock: :shock: That must've been some fish you were puttin' it too.... 8) 8) Maybe I should've bought that 14 weight rod I was lookin' at over at Kiene's today.... :lol: :lol:

Jay Murakoshi
05-30-2007, 07:30 AM
Darian,

Not necessary, my error created the breakage. I was putting alot of pressure on the fish and rod when i went to a high position with the foregrip for a hard pull. You can see how the rod broke

8wt is fine :D

Jay