PDA

View Full Version : 5/26 report

David Lee
05-27-2007, 07:28 AM
Hit a small River w/ Ed yesterday ......

The high flows from last year really did a number out there - root wads 30 feet up the old rail trestle , holes re-configured , everything not as it was ..... some of my 'no fail' spots were blanks !

Found several VERY nice (4 lb.) Spotted Bass .... they wouldn't play for love , money , or threats . Thankfully ...... got into several species of Sunfish , landed a few to over 1 lb. :shock:

On the trip home , we visited a small strip pond in Lincoln . Ed had a hot streak w/ about 15 Hybrid Sunnies .... some of which were HUGE .

Fishing two feet away , I couldn't get bit to save my life :oops:

Today ?? We'll raid a small urban creek ...... hope we do better there .

Ed will post photos later .....

David :D

Ed Wahl
05-27-2007, 08:26 PM
Man oh man, I still can't believe the fishing opportunities that lie within the 50 mile radius. You'd swear you were in some wilderness area as soon as the traffic noise subsided. Those Spotted Bass David mentioned were downright insulting. Cmon now, do they really have to go rushing up to your fly then stop and stare, then swim away? Who taught them manners anyway? At least the sunnies saved the day. I think most were over a pound, evidence that they're not on someones fish fry list. Got no pics from the pond, what started out as a quick peek turned into several hours. I've been using a fly called Autumn Splendour, silly name, and a very unlikely looking fly but so far this year I've caught most warmwater species on it. It's goofy and shouldn't work but it does. Ed http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/edfish333/IM001339.jpg http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/edfish333/IM001338.jpg http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/edfish333/IM001337.jpg http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/edfish333/IM001336.jpg http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/edfish333/IM001340.jpg

sculpin
05-27-2007, 08:53 PM
Nice report guys, it looks like you had a fun day. There's nuthin more fun than fishing overlooked water. It sucks when your honey holes get washed away.

Mark

Ed Wahl
05-27-2007, 09:09 PM
Day two. Smaller stream, urban area. Caught Bass, Bass, and more Bass. Mostly small but very feisty Spots and Smallies. Got quite an education today, David was pulling fish out of what to me were the most unlikely spots. To his credit he explained as we went where there should be fish and why. Damned if he wasn't right about 99% of the time. The other 1% were the fishes fault :D . David said it was kinda slow but we landed around 40 to 50 fish. Biggest was around a pound, but man they give a very good account of themselves. Here's todays. Ed http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/edfish333/IM001342.jpg http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/edfish333/IM001344.jpg http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/edfish333/IM001345.jpg http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/edfish333/IM001346.jpg http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/edfish333/IM001347.jpg

Hairstacker
05-27-2007, 11:28 PM
Ah, wet wading the creek, what a GREAT way to spend a summer day! Yep, David KNOWS where the fish hang out in that one. I've even seen him call his shots like he was playing a game of 8-ball. Glad to see you guys hit it up! 8)

lee s.
05-28-2007, 12:08 AM
GRAND shot of the sunnies on their nests! 8) 8) 8)
You's guys rock. :wink:
....lee s.

Ed Wahl
05-28-2007, 12:25 AM
Yeah Mike, he was doing that too. It was a little uncanny. Lee, the shot I should have taken was the carp. Very curious fish, would come over and look at my fly, as if they were wondering what particular dubbing I was using, or maybe discussing whether it was whip finished or half hitched. :lol:

Hairstacker
05-28-2007, 12:35 AM
Very curious fish, would come over and look at my fly, as if they were wondering what particular dubbing I was using, or maybe discussing whether it was whip finished or half hitched.

That is just too funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-28-2007, 08:00 AM
Thanks guys....love those photos.

David Lee
05-28-2007, 08:40 AM
Hordes of shrimpy ones out there , I couldn't seem to get away from the dinks .

Ed thumped the big one ..... around 13 inches . Conditions were just about perfect , except the water was slightly on the cool side . No clues as to where the 'big' ones were hiding at . The creek is getting more silted in - deep spots are becoming pretty rare .

I came away from the trip slightly depressed ...... any time you fish a stream that runs thru a city w/ 100,000 people in it , you have to take into account human impact - trash is always a problem , but the thing that really got me was the total lack of sanitation . Some spots looked like the transients were having a shit party ....... I have ZERO sympathy for anyone without the brains/common sense to bury their turds WELL AWAY from the water . I've no idea why anyone would raise kids without teaching them something so basic . I actually don't want to fish there anymore .......... and this is where I learned to flyfish .

It's a difficult position ...... you have this beautiful little place .... loads of fish/wildlife ...... but the masses don't seem to care how good they have it . With just a few basic rules , it could be a place like no other . Instead , we have uncontrolled growth , no policeing system , no community input , no civic pride , etc. .

Instead of riding this into the ground (and losing what little grip on sanity that I still have ....) , I think I'll just walk away and forget it .

South Dakota looks better every day .

David

Hairstacker
05-28-2007, 09:08 AM
David, I hate to make you think about it further but did you notice this "sanitation" issue only at that downstream section or did you notice it upstream as well? Just curious whether the whole thing is going to pot. Sad to hear it, places like that are a jewel and should be cherished.

jbird
05-28-2007, 09:19 AM
David

The photos look like a little slice of heaven! WHat a shame about the abuse its taking. We are a rare breed to even care/be curious of what lives in the water. Everyone else thinks its a big toilet bowl. :cry:

JAy

Nip Hadlock
05-28-2007, 09:23 AM
David,
Looks like you guys had a great day out there. 8)
Sorry to hear about the conditions (water and humankind). :cry:
I grew up bass fishing in rural N.H. before sewage treatment plants were in line...caught many a bass amongst the Finnless Browns! :shock:
Nip

David Lee
05-28-2007, 09:34 AM
Mike -

Mostly the upstream section ..... where I took you . This has been an issue for years , but I don't remember seeing this much this early before . You can have a trash pickup , you know ? But how do you clean this kind of thing up ???

Jay -

At the risk of going against board policy ....... people are a bunch of f------ pigs . The city welcomes development and the money that goes along with it , but they don't bother with a town ordanance/enforcement to nuture a healthy greenbelt . Same problem here in Sacramento ...... you have a perfect belt around the American river , but the vermin out there really muck things up .

Nip -

Kids swim in there !!! That can't be healthy ........

I hate bitchin' about this stuff , but I really don't have a clue as to how I can get a change going . If ANYONE has any ideas on how to get the ball rolling , PLEASE let me know .

David

lee s.
05-28-2007, 11:21 AM
Sorry David,
I KNOW the feeling. And now you KNOW why some old farts absolutely cringe at "feel good only" measures being proposed AND accepted as "fixes" to a resource.
Sorry, just looked like a grand spot for an "also" bitch. :lol:
....lee s.

Ed Wahl
05-28-2007, 11:36 AM
Okay, I might get a couple people mad at me but here goes......It's Dry Creek. Don't hate me guys, we're going to be needing an army of mad(angry,not crazy) fishermen to get anything done. I've sent out 3 emails to different organizations looking for help. If your wondering if this little urban creek is worth it, get in touch with David or myself, some stream time will be all it takes. Ed..the mad fisherman

Hairstacker
05-28-2007, 05:14 PM
Ed, I can't believe you just named it. It only takes a couple of non-catch & release guys one day to clean its clock. :(

Ed Wahl
05-28-2007, 05:47 PM
Trust me Mike, I thought long and hard before doing that. The way I see it, there's a tradeoff anyway you go. Do and say nothing and possibly lose the fishery entirely or get as many people to love it as you do and put up with more fishing pressure in order to save it. With proper management and protection the city of Rosevill could be sitting on a true angling destination during the warm, non-salmon times of the year. Tell you what, if I get more negative responses for naming the creek(Sturmer?) than positive then I will kill this post. And apologize to all. Ed

David Lee
05-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Mike -

Ed called this morning and asked what I thought .

I figure .... since we've named it in the conservation section , why not here ?? Ed also went out of his way to get the addresses of the Roseville city , Dry Creek Conservency , and a few others ......

At this point , I'm going to call channel 13 , the folks at the Sac Bee , and anyone else who will listen . Time for some changes to be made :idea:

No harm , no foul , IMO ..... anything we all can do to get things right .

David :)

HC
06-17-2007, 08:16 PM
Ed and David, I am with you on this one. Although I have not fished dry creek and probably never will, I do see the same circumstances at Valley streams closer to home. I mean, to look around the car park before you even assemble the rod and see a dozen or so soiled diapers, assorted paper and bottles make me want to puke. I complained to the warden and all he did was check my license and hook. Very unconcerned about the litter. There are signs prohibiting littering and dumping but they where shot up pretty good too. Thats just one pull out on one river I could name more but won't. We have all seen it and tolerate it the best we can, yet this "dump" is right between a county road and the sweet little tailwater. Its in plain sight and not a secret place at all and still everyone driving by can see it and with all presumable public outrage its remains unchanged. I told the warden that he could be as interested in resouces as county revenues and made a friend, not. So I say get as much attention on this as you can focus and keep up the chant. Maybe river groups could help, like friend of the rivers and so on. Harley