PDA

View Full Version : fallen leaf lake

jlmelend
05-27-2007, 12:48 AM
I have a meeting at fallen leaf lake. I've got an 8 weight rod. Anyone fished this lake? If so, what lures. WOuld the south fork of the american be better? If so, where?

Tracy Chimenti
05-27-2007, 04:13 PM
The lake is infested with mackinaw, and has a good population of brown trout, some that get to trophy proportion. I've always wanted to float tube the east end when the wind was really cookin'. It's a shallow, very rocky bar that spans the length of a long sandy beach. It would be a good spot to throw streamers for browns and macks. I would suggest fishing late, as in two hours before dark-- up to dark. Keep your tube in 10- to 20-feet of water and use that back-wind to carry your loops farther. I was up there a few years ago camping and caught a bunch of small cutthroats. I think DFG is trying to re-establish them there.

Tracy

jlmelend
05-27-2007, 09:16 PM
Much obliged. I'll give that a try maybe even rent a boat.
JLM

windknot
05-28-2007, 11:43 PM
If you head up the Glen Alpine trail a bit you can reach Lily Lake which is thawed by now and has some nice-sized browns in a more intimate setting than Fallen Leaf. A couple more miles on the trail into the Desolation Wilderness gets you to Grass Lake which also has some good fishing.