PDA

View Full Version : Davis Lake 5/21, 5/22

Terry Thomas
05-24-2007, 08:27 AM
We hit Davis Lake on Monday and Tuesday with the intention of putting the hurt on those big bad pike. The joke was on us; only one pike of @20 inches for two days of fishing. On Monday we started at Cow Creek in our float tubes. The wind was blowing out of the north and there was quite a chill in the air. We fished for two hours and went out a long way into the lake. The lake is low in anticipation of the kill in Sept. and a low snow year. Saw few damsels and a decent blood midge hatch. Zero pike at this location, a few trout working midges, and one catfish landed. Checked Freeman arm...can't drive all the way in and launch anymore. I guess it has been quite a while since we hit that arm because it looks like it has been blocked off for a long time. Went back to Eagle for some protection from the north wind. Sam landed a nice rainbow. We heard that the midge hatch was good in that area in the evening when the wind quit blowing. Well, the didn't quit blowing so we called it a day. On Tuesday we met Brian Roccucci for a guided day on the lake. Started @5:30 in the morning. The wind was still blowing from the north...not a good sign. Headed to the Freeman area. Did see pike moving early and did land one @20 inches. As the day progressed midges were coming off and trout were on them. As for pike, Brian said he has seen fewer this year than the past couple of years. An angler staying next to us and trolling landed a 12 lb. pike and an 8 lb. rainbow. We fished from Mosquito all the way back to Camp 5 covering all the points and bays. The fishing was very slow. At this time, the damsel hatch has not started. Wish I had a better report; that's fishing.

Rick J
05-25-2007, 06:50 AM
I'm heading over for the long weekend to fish with Don - hopefully the winds will have died down. We will be strictly targeting the trout - likely mostly on midges. Don has had a few good evenings on bloods which is a nice change from the last few years