PDA

View Full Version : papio whacks an oama

mems
05-23-2007, 09:55 AM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/mems15/P1010856.jpg
Aloha, check out my new gyotaku Naoki did for me. It is a papio about to whack my oama fly. It is in a nice koa shadow box frame, and is hanging in my living room. what do you guys think? Mems.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/mems15/P1010857.jpg

Adam Grace
05-23-2007, 10:31 AM
That's very nice Don, those prints are cool looking.

Darian
05-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Hi Don,.... That is a beautiful piece of art. That type of rubbing (hope that's right) is one of my favorites. I have a some shirts that have rubbings of a Dorado, a Striper and a Tarpon on the backs. I really like 'em. If I recall correctly, Jay M., is able to create those rubbings. I'd like to learn how to do those, myself. :D :D :D

Jay Murakoshi
05-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Mems,

I have a gyotaku of my first permit from Australia. But mine print is still not hung yet. The wife has to figure out where itīs going to hang. I might be donating it to Keith to hang on his wall.
The fish was a 27lb snubnose permit. With frame and all, itīs about 5ī in length and not quite 3ī high. Iīve done a couple since but trying to find good rice paper is hard.

jay

Glen Tagami
05-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Fantastic!! That is a truly beautiful piece! I have an original Naoki Kagami hanging in my livingroom and I have to say that he does some of the best pressings I've seen.

GT

PaulC
05-23-2007, 09:50 PM
Hey Mems,
Thats truely a work of art. What's the story behind the artist?
Sorry if he's well known, just haven't seen this sort of medium before.
Do they actually take a print of the fish itself like a rubbing? Then detail it?
Way cool!
-Paul

mems
05-23-2007, 11:50 PM
Mahalo, thanks guys for all the positive comments. You can check out Naoki's web page at gyotaku.com He is a really nice guy and an avid fisherman, although I have not gotten him hooked on fly fishing yet. I have been selling his work to my fishing clients. I think it goes well with the catch and release philosophy we support. True he does take a print from real fish, but he can make many origionals from just one fish and he makes nice copies that are more affordable. I was talking with him and showing him my fly and we got talking about an action mount. He has a nice ulua crashing a big popper and a marlin about to inhale a kona head. I just love those pieces, they show what it is like to fish for these beautiful creatures, and it tells a story. I just love the blues and colors of this fish, we call them omilu. let me know if any of you are interested in his work, I can set you up, Mems.

PaulC
05-24-2007, 10:54 PM
Hey mems,
Cool stuff for sure. Does he make it out to california?
Could definitely be interesting to get some rubs of fish out here....
-Paul