PDA

View Full Version : Shad on the Umpqua River right now.................

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-22-2007, 11:52 PM
California to Oregon transplants Al Perryman and Larry Cullens where recently out on the Umpqua River in southern Oregon fly fishing for American Shad.

In a few hours they both landed about 30 fish.

L Kenney
05-23-2007, 10:44 AM
I'd say even in good years that shad fishing is only adequate on the main Umpqua. That's largely because access is difficult if you don't have a boat and know the river. And wading the lower river, when you can find a spot, is no easier than on the fly water upstream on the North Umpqua. Gravel bar river this ain't. If you have the time and a drift boat or decent inflatable you can find shad all along the main river (and on the South Fork, but I found them stacked up only in a few spots, like just below Umpqua at the Popcorn Hole, and at the mouth of Cougar and Yellow Creeks. These all get hit pretty hard by locals fishing from the banks and by a few guides who anchor and soak flies or darts. There are public boat ramps at Umpqua (10 miles or so west of Sutherlin off I5 just below the Umpqua store), then downriver 7-8 more miles at James Wood put in, then another 7-8 miles down at Osprey. After that you've got an extremely long run through private property, where the only access upstream of Elkton is at the Big K Ranch, which has some good water that they reserve for guests or folks who book their guides. There's probably fishable water below that and above Scottsburg but I never fished it in the 10 years I lived up there. Unless you were to combine a trip with a shot at Umpqua smallmouth, or early summer steelhead upriver, or unless you were in the area anyway, I don't think Umpqua shad are worth a trip when N.California's water is better and closer.

Paul B.
05-23-2007, 09:59 PM
Thank you L. K., I think if I ever make it up to the Umpqua it will be for SMBs. Hire a guide w/ boat and stay in a campground with a good supply of scotch and rib-eyes. PB

Hairstacker
05-23-2007, 10:33 PM
Umpqua smallies and camp scotch and ribeyes -- now there's a plan! :D